Oh ok, sorry, just sounded like you didn’t register what I’d posted. (as you only quoted half of the sentence you were clarifying.)
Actually Frontier attempted to break from it’s fan base by creating a multiplayer, but sadly their inexperience in multiplayer shines through. What’s more, as an avid multiplayer, I would love another massive multiplayer that involves landing on planets, building sites, Mining, PvP, personalizing your own avatar, walking around stations, taking passengers on board, customizing the interior and exterior of a ship, a robust player based economy and even exploring the galaxy - within a reasonable map…in fact I would love all these things that EVE strives for but simply can’t due to technology constraints and, to a certain degree, a lack of will. Maybe EVE might be the last thing you want to see in Elite, but as an avid multiplayer I would have no problem with it; because CCP understands what drives multiplayers, a lot more than Frontier ever will. Of course some people will enjoy having a few people they can meet up with and call their experience a multiplayer…and that’s fine. Besides, some people can’t handle the challenge of a complicated, challenging, no solo cheat, multiplayer and again - to each their own.
Although as a so called carebear
i got tired of that constant threat of attack in EVE, It did gave the game certain level of atmosphere. It would not be the same without it.
On some levels it was harsh, on others not harsh enough, but damn it was close. But what was the thing that let me overlook all the bad were the mechanics (not combat mind you) and market done right. That is what Elite is missing in my view the most.
I have no problem with carebears; in fact I play the carebear once in a while because the threat level is always high in EVE. And even carebears can get killed so I know exactly what you mean. But I have to hand it to CCP - they managed to keep the game going since 2003, long after all other space genre games cashed out. Unfortunately because they were the only real multiplayer space sim in town they got complacent for years and started telling players what they wanted. Fortunately Star Citizen and ED came along and CCP quickly realized they could no longer fiddle around - they had to get serious because customers will have more to choose from and that will inevitably cut into their player base. And so we have seen CCP ramping up its content since SC and ED’s arrival with the introduction of Valkyrie, larger grids and Citadels. Rumor has it mods for decloaking afkers will be available on stations, which is sorely needed! No longer will 30~50 players be huddled in stations because of one afk cloaker.
Must. Resist. EvE-Online rant. 
Where did you read that? Would be news to me…
The main reason I don’t want Elite to become like EVE:
Currently, at this moment, I don’t like CCP.
Yes their EVE online keeps them going, (for now), but they fucked it up multiple times over the last months/years. It started when they inexplicably axed World of Darkness, that for all I know was coming along nicely with getting great technology developed and added to the carbon engine, and it continues to this day as they recently axed Dust514 after it had just become profitable after 2 years or so. Instead, they are now tasked to make the same game on pc, a market that is oversaturated with f2p shooter… Good luck with that…
I also doubt that quite some mechanics that made EVE popular, would work in Elite, as their whole nullsec system (with all mechanics added to it) only works due to the limited number of systems. I must admit that I haven’t played EVE in years (migrated to dust514 when it got released), but iirc nullsec was the main thing about eve, apart from the obvious ‘you explode in a ship you lose it fo real’ of course.
Oh right, didn’t ccp also teased this station walking thing? what happened to it? Last thing I remember about it is ccp axing the feature for dust514.
It is a multiplayer game once the number of players is at least 2.
[quote=“Zen, post:808, topic:227”]
they managed to keep the game going since 2003[/quote]
Vendetta online has been online since 2002 (although it was commercially released in 2004) and is still alive and kicking. Couldn’t find anything about EVE online being online pre-release, feel free to correct me if I missed something.
In the end you don’t want to play elite. You yourself said it:
That’s not Elite. Even if elite patches in all the other aspects, planetary landing, planetary mining, station walking etc. it will always be a game set in a true scale universe. You change that detail, it won’t be Elite any more.
You might want to check out Frontier’s history on Wiki - most if not pretty well all their games are single player. And on the Elite Dangerous Wiki page there’s this:
‘The game is the first in the series to attempt to feature massively multiplayer gameplay, with players’ actions affecting the narrative story of the game’s persistent universe, while also retaining single player options.’
Given their base is single player I think they are clearly trying for a different market - and failing miserably.
I really don’t think the game was ever intended to have a multiplayer focus. If anything it’s the game’s players that have been asking for it and pushing development in that direction.
In other news I started to play again.
I stripped down my python for exploration, having been previously set up for credit grinding trading, and set out for a random vector, and started my new trek into the darkness.
Three jumps later, having only traveled about 50 LY, I suddenly remembered how mindbogglingly boring it was, and got off.
And this is the first time since about September/October.
So yeah, no more Elite for me thanks.
Exploration is more of a “sit back and enjoy the view” playstyle.
I know I’ve had most fun when playing in a squad with my friends, hunting pirates in the extraction sites or going in conflict zones. AI was most of the time very dull though, I should test again one of this days of the new AI feels.
Since they initially tried to retain the (true) single player option I would go with “they wanted to keep their existing playerbase and expand it with the multiplayer focused players” rather than “alienate old playerbase in favor of new”
But yeah, no matter how you turn it, they kind of failed miserably.
I doubt there are many pure tourists out there. Geographic explorers like to fight their way to destinations. Or sneak their way there. Or magic their way there. They like seeing new places, but they also like to get there in the way that they prefer.
And that’s just geographic exploration. The exploration play style generally describes people who just like to experience something new. I’m an explorer by nature, and I want to experience all the different types of content that a game has to offer. In ARMA 3, we have people who do nothing but infantry. Or nothing but flying transport. In contrast, I fly transport, fly CAS, fly or gun attack helo, run medic (on foot, from an ambulance, from a helicopter - even a tank), run tanks and various other combat vehicles, operate mortars, operate artillery, drive around an ammo truck, function as a JTAC to call in fire missions, and the list goes on and on. It is why I play that game so avidly - there are so many different ways to play it.
Sometimes I even run as infantry.
Absolutely, hand-down, no contest.
The Engineers beta is now scheduled for May and the update’s release has been pushed back by “six weeks” (May/June then?).
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=dba695615a&e=3423a93f93
Intrigued to see what the 2.1 update will make of the game. It looks like a lot of long requested improvements and fixes will finally make it. Bookmarks for one thing! Which will only leave tons of things to be improved and fixed. It’s definitely moving forward though.

Yes, the wait is long.
To make matters worse, this delay makes it unlikely that they’ll finish up the season by the end of the year, unless the separate updates are largely developed by independent sub-teams in parallel. We’d have to receive an update every two months starting June if they are to finish season 2 in 2016.
For once, I think the wait for 2.1 may be actually really worth it though. What I summarized from their dev updates and newsletters since January sounds pretty promising IMO.
There’s a number of really “small things” in there, which should in sum improve some of the glaring issues their missions have a had. E.g. giving a purpose to nav beacons and doing away with the randomly spawned mission target nonsense, instead placing them in fixed locations that have to be and can be searched and found. 
Edit: Wait won’t be so long after all. The Engineers (2.1) and 1.6 Beta start in the week ending 8th May. I gueess we’ll have all the infos by then.
It’s about time they updated the fitout interface. It was so frustrating to use.
The Engineers - Road to Beta Video Archives
Ice asteroid mining, AI NPCs flying near the surface and through canyons, voiced station traffic control. There are many great details in this update. Engineer bases look great as well!
The only part where I’m anxious, is the looting and crafting in itself. I hope this doesn’t turn into too much of a life-crushing grind. Let’s see what info next friday’s newsletter will bring.
The Engineers Beta is Live.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246284&p=3839214#post3839214
Updating now…
