Elite: Dangerous

Game has changed and improved since it came out, you seem to be focusing on the state of the game when it released…

Exactly, yes, when the game was released…and when we got crap content but now Frontier wants us to pay again. Might want to read previous posts for content. And like I said, when they come up with a better payment plan that doesn’t include constantly paying then I might play. But I and many others probably won’t pay anything given Frontiers somewhat dubious reputation.

I’ve played my fair share of ED before and to some length after Horizons got released. True, I haven’t paid much attention lately to the game’s state, largely because I thought Installements and Engineers would still be way longer than announced.

My definition of “content” is quite wide. PvP is nice as long as there’s team strategy, fight tactics and learning curve. Sandbox is good when the player are mostly given free movement over their world and can impact it in a meaningful way. MMO content speaks for itself because you see lots of players on them (F2P being apart, that’s another consideration).

ED fills none of the above criterias for many reasons, most of which has been amply discussed in the many messages above. Still, let me explain why I consider there’s not that much content brought with Horizon.
What I disliked so far from ED was that they pretend to have content while in fact many are brought by players themselves, and sometimes get aknowledged enough by the devs to become factions / regular events (exploration races or guild fights come into my mind first). Planetary landings are just another POI similar to space, quests and NPCs are a welcome change, engineers may bring some interesting interactions, though I see them mostly as another “trust point” grinding.

But most of all, the utter emptiness was what made me sad. Even starting areas don’t see that much players (while I agree that having too much players and NPCs would saturate the visuals, there’s certainly a middle ground). Your actions are not meaningless (speaking for powerplay) but are best when coordinated with other players outside the game, like on reddit forums. Worst of all, you can do this while playing “solo online”.

I don’t say I haven’t enjoyed my time on ED, quite the opposite. But had I no friends to play ED with, I would have let it down earlier on.

Maybe the extension will change my mind, but for the moment I’m in a “wait and see” state until everything’s revealed.

2 Likes

How damn nice of FD, just got this in my email.

Greetings Commander,

Which day of the year is really special to you?

Let us know, and we’ll send a little gift to make that day even sweeter. We’ll be refreshing the gift Commanders receive every month so when your special day comes round it will be even more surprising and exciting. So, depending on what date you pick, there could be game extras, discount codes or other fun exclusives popping up in your email inbox.

Click here to fill out the form and let us know about your special day.

Thanks for taking the time to fill out the form, and thanks again for joining us in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

The Elite Dangerous Team

2 Likes

Nice thing there, we’ll see what it holds in August :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

ah okay. Was surprised, because I definitely got my lifetime pass after kickstarter. I bought into the premium beta tier (i think) the one for 120€ or something around that… Anyway I thought I had seen it in some form or another months later, so I just assumed, they were saelling it alongside the whole time ^^’

Really disappointed with the new update. The crafting mechanic which was supposed to be really innovative, the special effects, seems to be nothing more than a giant spinning wheel of fortune. On the other hand, they took the opportunity to include some severe power creep when modifying modules, which does not seem to serve any other purpose than to put at a disadvantage the players who don’t have access to the expansion.

They did improve the police response time, but that just does not seem enough to deal with criminals who murder just for the fun of it. The community goals, which are supposed to bring people together in the open mode, turned out to be just huge gankfests, and this update does nothing to improve on that, in fact I fear it will make things worse with the new modified offensive capabilities.

All in all, they seem to be fixated on their roadmap and do nothing to address the real problems of the game.

1 Like

Is there really someone who still play ED without expansion?
If you still play it is because you like it and if you like it you have no problem in spending 30€ for it.
If you don’t spend 30€ for the expansion it means you don’t like ED anymore ence you don’t play it.
Besides this, ED is not a competitive game so, who cares.

I suspect there are some players who still do. The base game has been sold continuously since Horizons was announced, and I can’t imagine that customers who have bought it in that time period (roughly the past year) have all stopped playing.

But in any case, that’s just a minor issue in a longer series of issues. The game seems to be going in the direction of a classic MMO where stats rule supreme, gameplay elements are favored to universe consistency, fun features are locked behind grindwalls and there are no real consequences to your actions so you are inclined to treat all your encounters with other players by shooting first.

2 Likes

I think the Engineers “expansion” will be available for the base game, having the Horizons expansion just gives you access to engineers on planets, but everything available on planets will be available in space too. So there really is not much of a disadvantage for the base game players.

/me slowly raises hand.

:hand:

4 Likes

I’ve played the Beta now quite a lot and frankly can’t go back too 2.0 anymore. The difference is day and night. The Engineers part of it is in my opinion not even the biggest thing about the update. There are TONS of improvements across the board in this update. Addressing problems seems to be very much what they have been doing here to be honest even if there still is plenty more to work on.

Yep…me too. Watching what is being said and glad I didn’t plop down more money after the first bitter disappointment.

2 Likes

I’ll second that…or third it after @Zen

Edit: I guess you could argue on the definition since I haven’t touched it recently…I have spent quite a few hours on it, but any time I log on I fly for 15 minutes before I realize that nothing I’m doing is worth doing except to grind to the next ship. Sometimes this is enough, but not always.

Double edit: I’ll grab horizons if it dips below 15$ during the steam summer sale…

2 Likes

I guess that answers govny’s question. And that’s 3 replying in under 24 hours on a small site - imagine how many are out there!

1 Like

BILLIONS! :wink:

trololol

2 Likes

If only Elite Dangerous had as many customers as planets. :smirk:

Then they would probably have bought up CCP games and everything on earth, just for the lulz.

Edit: To be fair it kind of depends on the number of planets in elite: Dangerous. Some people say trillions, other say billions. So it might be a bit much to buy earth, even if you have hundreds of trillions of customers (which, given earths population seems a bit ‘optimistic’)

Well, they reduced the price of the Horizons expansion…

This week, we’re announcing the release dates for Elite Dangerous: Horizons for Xbox One, The Engineers 2.1 and Missions 1.6 for PC, and as of today we’re introducing a new price for Elite Dangerous: Horizons of £19.99/€24.99/$29.99, introducing a new Commander Deluxe edition of Elite Dangerous, and much more.

More details below.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=ce8e94928e&e=f07267ef78

1 Like

As of a few days ago I completed the 65,000 LY journey to Beagle Point.

Thank god for Audio-books.

6 Likes