AFAIK no, but don’t be surprised if they do. They want the absolute best they can possibly have to put out there. And if that means that they will put off the KS for an extra few months, that is what it will take. Which is fine by me.
Agreed.
I already know I won’t mind putting a couple hundred bucks into getting this thing in my hot little hands, but even though I’ve been waiting 6+ years for this, I almost can’t wait to see what kind of marketing campaign they’re going to launch with the Kickstarter.
Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous had the luxury of hauling in big guns in the form of names (Chris Roberts and “Elite”), I-Novae has nothing but their hard work to attract backers. They’re going to need a downright jaw-dropping display to hit the kind of numbers those others did.
I know we’ll all do our part in sharing and promoting, but I can’t wait to see what Keith has cooked up for marketing materials. Maybe it’s the production-geek in me, but I’m almost as excited to see their Kickstarter for the sake of an advertising perspective as much as an old-time Infinity follower.
Let’s have a jumping-off point here since I think Keith will update us when he has a better idea of a KS launch-
What announcement do you think would garner them the most backing during the campaign?
-Oculus Support?
-Multi-Crew Ships?
-Dedicated Matchmaking System?
Personally I’d love to see non-standard gamemodes. CTF, King of the Hill, and Deathmatch are all well and good but Capital Ship VIP, Resource-Extraction (mining from a contested Asteroid), or Ender’s Game Battle-School style objective would be a refreshing change of pace in space-combat arenas.
I think it was aforementioned that mining wouldn’t take part in Battlescape. Well, I’m actually just basing that off from one of my previous posts that didn’t get attention to the word “mining”. A mining gameplay hasn’t ever been addressed, but assuming Battlescape will not hold an economy, I don’t see how mining could be of any value.
I recall mining being a tier if they get enough money.
@Zmann966:
You are right. There needs to be an economy before there can be mining. I think that Keith said that that could be a stretch goal.
Oculus support may be there from the start or as a close stretch goal as Flavien implemented it into the engine quite a while ago. He was working in the VR sector for quite a while so …
For starters the whole idea of Battlescape is pretty attractive in my oppinion … a full scaled system with StarWars fights? Sure!
Thoguh that depends if they’ll have that from the start or as a stretch goal. There was quite a discussion but in the end I-Novae has to decide. If it will be a stretch goal it will be the most potent one in my oppinion.
Now for anoucement boost … do you think holding back Occulus support is a good idea? As a marketing thing?
There is a very rudimentary form of “mining” that will be a part of a greatly simplified economic model that will be a stretch goal. Basically you will be able to place factories on planets/moons that automatically generate income over some interval X. We are also debating whether or not the factories will generate little NPC ships that have to fly the ore to a space station for processing before your team actually gets the money for that interval - thereby providing a way for the opposing team to intercept and destroy your buckets of money en-route. Either way it’s going to be a stretch goal
.
Yes I do. While the I-Novae Engine has OVR support we’re currently not planning on including it in the game because it’s a niche product that will require a significant effort on our part to properly support due to forcing us to create an entirely separate UI/UX, etc.
The ‘mining’ gametype I was mentioning was similar to what Keith just mentioned,
Two teams fight over a contested region or object and collect resources over time and have to haul it back to a base or factory for victory. (Like Battlefield’s ticket system, except opposite)
It wouldn’t be actual mining or an economic-based resource system, simply a resource-collection arena-gametype.
Keith Newton @inovae_keith · 8h
Just finished recording the final footage for our next video, yay!
From Kith Newton Twitter https://twitter.com/inovae_keith
Really there isn’t a whole thread for this news?!?
Just shows that the community generally isn’t that into Twitter.
I guess the average member is intelligent enough to recognise that they don’t have anything to say that’s worth tweeting.
I have so much in my Twitter feed that it’s rare for me to catch one of Keith’s tweets. This is interesting news and I’m on tenterhooks.
I have shortcuts to both Keiths and Flaviens twitter on my mobile because I have the same problem Crayfish does.
I check I-Novaes Twitter more often then I do my feed though.
Reposting isn’t really my thing.
Also … this is on the I-Novae front page:
![]()
And you believe that what you just said was worth saying?
Yes, within the context of this conversation.
It’s worth taking note of which communications channels are effective and ineffective.
actually nvm
It took 8 hours for anyone to mention it on the forum, to me that suggests there is at least some validity in my first sentence.
What I said may be incorrect but this is a forum - it’s great for conversation and discussion. Crayfish and Lomsor added their own perspectives to the conversation.
You’re right, the community isn’t really into twitter. I completely agree.
You mean a dozen of us fanatics and a handful of lurkers?
Keith has 3k followers, who are those people…
I check Keith’s twitter occasionally for a quick update that might not be on the forums or maybe a pretty screenshot. That being said, I do not have a twitter myself nor do I plan to have one. So do I check twitter? Only for Keith and Elon Musk. Does that mean that I never check it? Obviously not. I lurk here and twitter enough to know what’s going on.
Also, I had no idea Keith has 3k followers and that has to speak for something, whether it’s interest in Keith himself or in Infinity/Inovae.
I’m one of them.
I follow Keith, Flavien, Hutchings and INS but I very rarely actually go on Twitter.
On the other hand I visit this forum several times pretty much every day.
Regardless of the actual state of the video, I strongly suggest that INS annouce anything as important as a kickstarter on their major communication ways simultaneously. Which I’m sure will be done anyway.
By the way, how’s that website refurbishing going on? I see that the newest news there is from … 24 november 2014 ??
I know that you intend to make some changes to the site, from what I remember, but shouldn’t it be done slightly before the kickstarter so the community can give some comments ?