Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Whoohoo :smile:

Thanks for all the votes!! And thanks tot Lucas for organising the contest! I’m in for the next challenge if it’s about concept art again :slight_smile:

@Arkenbrien
Thanks! Well feel free to do so if you have time :slight_smile:

Edit: @LucasFIN you actually got a fourth vote from hroberts :wink:

2 Likes

Ah… I must have missed it since it was not bolded. Well… you still win the game :smiley:

I would be interested to see a challenge on the above categories. I wouldn’t be able to participate, since I suck in storytelling and I can’t compose, but I recall we had some great talented people here. :wink:

I think we can have more challenges running at the same time (different topics) :slight_smile:

Would be good.

As much as I’d like to see a team-based competition resulting in fully textured models rendered in-engine (I’m sure one of the devs could make that happen) I do think the community might be a bit small to set up something like that, at present.

(Though either way I wont be participating.)

Sorry I didn’t make my vote clear.

Congrats Wybo

Congratulations, Wybo!
And congratulations for all three of you for those great ships.

I would be interested in one of those, personally.

Fan stories, I would definitely like to participate.
And although I have no idea where to begin with for composing music on a computer, it is always nice to hear what great pieces of work people come up with when inspired by Infinity.

I didn’t want to vote, but now that it is over, I will add my constructive criticism, plz don’t take personal :smile:

I have to agree with this. I would add that the design seems to suffer from a modeler trying to design an asset using modeling tools, as opposed to utilizing design/artistic talent. A great asset depends so much on proper initial concept art.

I think Lucas’ design correctly adheres the to the Centaurus guidelines, but the design is too simplistic/toyish and lacking of depth IMHO.

Wybo’s design to me, shows the most artistic talent, however he designed a Deltan ship and not a Centaurus vessel :smile:

Anyways, it was very nice to see this kind of activity. I do hope there are future contests, but I must say, I’d like to see assets other than ships! hehe

I think all of you can learn a lesson from Jan’s SFC concepts, time and time again he nails the style, while incorporating the right amount of detail/depth. Also, it can take many tries to get a design right, and we will tell him if a design isn’t heading in the right direction, and he typically responds with a better offering. Concept artists really do need to be thick skinned!

4 Likes

It would be interesting to see some building concept artwork. Military outposts, mining structures, iconic civilian structures / installations, centauran monuments, planetary defense platforms (orbital / ground based).

Fan stories would be great as well.

1 Like

I learned the hard way what you just said. It is so true. I will tell any modelers out there the same… Design it fully first. I admit I was partially satisfied with my design before modeling it. I thought I could model out the deficiencies later. Even today I am making changes to it. Sometimes large sections of ship may need to revamp. Valuable will be lost. Criticism is also so important… I need to spend more time in concept. However this is my First real attempt at Space Ship design. Until now, I have no experience in Space Ship designs I have only Modeled ships for Lucas and a few childhood sketches… I am a late comer and have only recently in the last 4 years got really excited about Space Games,

I guess I would vote for some sort of team projects. I really missed out on the Star Citizen contest. 1sr prize 30K for a team to build a small ship seemed pretty cool. Modeling a no-prob for me. Blueprint is what I need.

2 Likes

I am the same way. I can model anything usually, but I really need a ā€œblueprintā€ yes, maybe that comes from my engineering background…

I will put my foot in my mouth and suggest coding prototypes.

1 Like

Awesome work so far. I vote concept. Buildings and such is actually a nice idea.

Coding could be fun too. Not sure if I could contribute anything actually useful. :smiley: (Space missile and active protection systems simulation?)

How many people would take part in a coding challenge? If it’s 3 or more than I would be interested to see such a challenge :smiley:

Also… when we reach 100/100 members in the Guild of the First Hundred we will initiate a ā€œcorporate identityā€ art challenge here to design a logo/badge for the Guild and maybe even some other elements for the ā€œcorporate identityā€.

A coding challenge is something that you would need to leave open much longer than an artwork or model challenge. Run it in the background until there are enough projects to actually judge.

Off the top of my head, we have about a handful [<10] coders that have contributed in the past in this community.

1 Like

I might take part in a coding challenge but, as its my day job, only if it caught my interest.

Same here. What kind of subject do you have in mind?

Preferably something Infinity related. Perhaps a small prototype for some potential gameplay feature?

1 Like

A gameplay feature prototype could be fun - although as already stated, it’d need to run for quite some time compared to other challenges. I’d also be interested in a collaboration (Buildings! :smiley: Concept, texture, model - a group of buildings with a theme maybe? (e.g. mining outpost)) and lore.

1 Like

I’d suggest presenting a challenge such as ā€œHow can we keep the screen with all those beautiful visuals uncluttered while still providing players with all the information that they need when they need it?ā€

The focus is on the solution, not the means of presenting the solution. That keeps anyone who can communicate a solution in the competition.

The means can vary from being a text description to a set of artwork to a working, public demo. That brings in the possibility of doing some coding, but it might be very simple coding, as with Irashi’s Flash program to demonstrate how warp intercepts could work. It might just result in a short video capture of somebody drawing stuff in Microsoft Paint.

Winners can be declared for both Best Solution as well as Best Presentation.

1 Like