The goal is to ârebootâ the gameplay/universe/lore discussions on the new Battlescape site so said discussions relate more directly to the initial product offering, Infinity Battlescape. It could be too confusing to the influx of newcomers that will be needed to actually succeed with the crowd funding if the old forums are featured. I would like to remain hopeful that the old forums could make a reappearance when the time comes to move towards developing the MMO. However, by that time, the gameplay, technology, lore, etc, could have evolved past the point to where that old information is applicable. I think it is a wait & see type of issue. However, at this point in time our resources are being utilized elsewhere.
Speech:
I was going to rewrite one of the speeches from the trilogy, but they werenât really the best part of the books in my opinion.
So here something almost original except for the first sentence. So, does that qualify?
That qualifies. Thank you 
This is the part that makes me uneasy. There were great things in this lore. I can see how parts here and there could be improved and/or polished, of course, or simply be changed, but for the most part, it had struck a pretty great narrative balance IMHO. There are quite a few elements I hope will make it, among which:
Three âgrayâ cores, with different upsides and downsides each (and always granting at least some freedom):
- a militarized, bureaucratic democracy, somewhere between an European social-democracy and Starship Trooperâs (the book) Federation
- a laissez-faire capitalist confederacy of loosely knit nations putting freedom (and pragmatism) above all
- a sort of theocracy with just enough echoes of totalitarism to be both fascinating and unsettling
Two of them avoid being culturally (and politically) monolithic - being at least relatively monolithic is part of what makes the Centaruan
The progressive difference between stable, law-abiding core system to fringe colonies to lawless space to uncolonized space
The three cores being giant powerhouses dwarfing any individual - if they had more than sixty thousand battleships each, I wouldnât be surprised
The Harmony: a quite original ideology that is an interesting blend between a benevolent religion, a XXe century Great Ideal and a set of practices shaped by survival - and its implications are also interesting, and source of relatable conflict and drama on what is the best course of action when following it
How each core was born - and while weâre at it
The SFC independence war: - tensions between two radically different ideals, statist and individualist, leading to
- a nasty, merciless centuries-long conflict for survival between two vast interstellar powers
- the Centauran caught between the need to try and stop it, the understanding that military intervention wouldnât help (being the source of the problem) and the fear for their own survival and all they stand for - as whoever wins will be a battle-hardened military behemoth who long forgot what mercy was
- and the only possible conclusion for this hellish downward spiral, that I wonât spoil here for those who havenât heard it yet
The next centuries finally mending the wounds and old hatred, meaning that now the three cores are actually at peace (if recent events threaten to ignite latent tensions)
The Threat being sudden, unexplicable Mankind-wide sterility - thatâs one of the most original ones out there
The mythicalTerraEarth. Good old classicsâŠ
What happened to Geodesia
What really happened to Geodesia? A star suddenly turning red giant in mere centuries isnât natural. Maybe the answers are to be found in the desert-covered, scorched Geodesian cities, or in the long-forgotten installations of the systemâŠ
No aliens. Ok, maybe a few incomprehensible artifacts that may or may not be natural, but no clichĂ© aliens - and itâs next-to-impossible to make non-clichĂ© ones now.
And probably others I forgotâŠ
But I digressâŠ
Rebooting makes sense, given the change in focus, and that the frontier between âofficialâ content and fan consensus was sometimes hard to pinpoint.
We have reached 25/100 members. Hooray! 
Maybe we can have that logo art challenge once we hit 100/100.
Note to new nominees: If you have been nominated then please give a short answer whether you will accept or decline the nomination. That way we will know when to consider all the willing old guard to have joined. 
To know if you have been nominated (not all nominees have been tagged) check this post where I have collected all the nominees so far.
I graciously accept my nomination for this great honour.
The first hundred shall be renowned for time immemorial.
That Logo Challenge will be fun. Will probably participate ![]()
I suggest something like this (maybe even with profile pictures) as another representation of the member list âŠ
Pro is: It doesnât have ordering and thus is âEqualizingâ.
[quote=âINovaeGene, post:60, topic:575â]It could be too confusing to the influx of newcomers that will be needed to actually succeed with the crowd funding if the old forums are featured.
[/quote]
I agree and donât suggest it should be in any way âfeaturedâ. Maybe just make a stripped down version of the database available for download, perhaps just in the Leaderâs Lounge?
Sure. I can then add it into the first post.
But first we need all those 100 names. 
Original forum member number 8 reporting in 
The first two members were both accounts belonging to Flavien. Of the other first ten members I think only number 5 (I canât remember his name) was the only other member that posted fairly regularly.
I graciously accept my nomination 
Mostly been lurking since the new forums went online. Slowly getting back into 3dmodeling now though, so I should be able to join the art challenges soon!
A lot of what youâve mentioned is really valuable for the MMO, but considering the current scope of Battlescape is undefined, the scope of the included lore needs to be undefined as well.
For instance, if theyâre only able to afford to include SFC ships, extended, public discussions about the other two factions is liable to confuse newcomers who might come to expect all three factions represented in game. Plus, if thereâs only SFC ships included, it would necessitate the inclusion of an SFC civil war which doesnât really get mentioned in the timeline(s).
Oh, yeah, and thereâs the fact that there are multiple timelines. And there was a third (based on the second) in development at one point. Thatâs pretty messy.
Leaving the lore in public like that while theyâre still trying to figure out how expansive of a game theyâll be able to make is a dangerous game, since lore, in part, is going to have to give way to Battlescapeâs gameplay realities. Thereâs no reason for the baby to be thrown out with the bathwater or anything like that, but what bits of lore are salvageable (and I wager the majority of it is) really should be held back and introduced in a more controlled manner, if for no other reason than to control expectations.
Ah thank you kindly 
Despite my low post count I do peruse the forums and new posts on a daily / bi-daily basis⊠Iâm really just a stalker. Canât wait for some voice conversations once game-release though, talking whilst gaming is always more fun!
So this is why I shouldnât lurk for like 7 (probably more like 6-5 when I think about it, hard to remember when I first found out about infinity) years then, well I guess I can just blame myself (unless someone wants me :< )
Would love to be able to apply though I can understand if my lack of comments makes me unwanted ^^
Thank you! I gladly accept the invitation.
Hi friends,
I humbly accept your nomination, LucasFIN.
I have not been around in recent months in part due to school life, and in part due to, what seems to me to be, a lack of progress with the game. In the past, I held the opinion that the forums here were simply a way to be part of a community, until the game was released. Now Iâm not so sure what it is, as âthe gameâ (whatever that means anymore) seems to be perpetually under development, with no end in sight.
As an example of this, when you click on the âInfinity Battlescapeâ section of the website⊠you see a logo, and thats it. I understand there is more work to be shown, Iâve seen some of it on the I Novae facebook and etc, like the planetary ring video, and theres some ships I guess being worked on. My stance on that stuff is this: Dude, weâve seen your planetary rings before. Weâve had fantastic community ships finished and ready. Where is a gameplay video? Where is flavien and keith blasting the ever living crap out of each other with giant ass battleships in a solar system or whatever it is were supposed to be able to do now?
Anyways, you see where Iâm coming from, and it is frustrating, because I so want this to be a reality, and I have no doubt in my mind that the developers do as well, more than anyone, but I would say to them that patience does not last forever. I personally have been a member of the Infinity community for eight years, possibly closer to nine (which admittedly is, for me, almost literally half a life time at 22), and to continue on in that manner with nothing to show for it but a 2 minute video of some rocks put to music is laughable at best, which is in no way meant to undermine the effort that went into those rocks. They are fantastic rocks. But it takes I Novae simply too long.
That being said, I logged in today to kind of check in, and only kind of stumbled upon this thread by chance and saw my name was in it. I may be around, I may not. Either way, when something tangible is here, I will be playing it along with you all, and I very much look forward to that.
Cheers,
Lysk
The development of Infinity Battlescape (âThe Gameâ) will commence upon the completion of a successful crowd funding campaign. A game has never been in development it terms of applied resources. A game engine along with the tools has been in development, along with a lot of art prototyping. I think what many on the old forums (even some on the current forums) confuse as game development is/was actually developer/community discussion concerning a game to be made upon completion of the game engine, which is pretty much the current state of affairs. Completion to the point to which the proposed product, Infinity Battlescape can be developed. As many of you know, a game engine is always under development especially one such as INE, as more features will be required for the desired goal of an MMO.
Another misconception, this was never the case. I inspected every art asset the community contributed, there were only a handful at best that were somewhat âreadyâ. Said assets still needed quite a bit of developer attention/rework, and once the engine was rewritten with the new material system, the tri-counts updated etc, that past work (just like the past art team works) became obsolete.
There is no playable demo for the new engine yet. However, development on that will commence soon, and we hope to have videos to share with everyone.
Iâm sorry to say it, but that is still an âIFâ. We might be here a year or two down the line and be talking about how the development funding contract from some publisher is just one signature short. 
Iâd assume, the point of crowdfunding is to avoid the said publisher. 
But yes, as grim as it may sound, the game from an outsiderâs perspective is as close to starting development as it was five years ago. We donât know what your set goals are on the engine, and how close you are to said goals, because we get very limited information. Not that I think this is the case, but I canât blame anyone who wants proof that the engine is not going to be in development forever. (*Sigh, I know âengines are in development foreverâ, but you have to start the game at some point.)