Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

WIP - Phase 3

Some coloring:

5 Likes

Now I remember how I missed those.

Nice work everyone.

2 Likes

And finished!

I might consider that perspective view since I still have a week to go.

8 Likes

Not bad, makes for an interesting silhouette.

1 Like

YES! You should always have 2 perspective views for each concept. And actually, all the other views (side, top/bottom, rear/front) need only be line drawings, not a rendering.

1 Like

Very cool! :smiley: I like how the ā€˜twelves’ on the topview are correct projections of the sideviews :smile: I think the front part is a bit too thin, just behind the big turrets. What program do you use? Illustrator?

Interesting that you use 3DS Max, sounds like it works like Adobe Illustrator. I like the fact that you print it out halfway, I would just draw over it in PhotoShop. Maybe a print works better, it’s worth a try :smile:

I still haven’t done proper sketching :frowning: I plan to first fill 1 or 2 sheets with sideviews to find an interesting shape. Then select ships to work out in larger sideviews and small 3D views. Then make a big 3D sketch, scan it in and finish it in Photoshop. And the last step in Illustrator, adding sideviews and text etc. Sounds like quite a lot of work :open_mouth: maybe I need to cut down on steps and quantity.

Anyway, here’s a quick sketch I made yesterday while waiting for somebody:

5 Likes

Looks promising :smiley:

Good thing we have time until sunday next week :wink: Take yor time.

1 Like

Heh, that thing looks like a Cylon destroyer or something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha yeah it’s not that Centauran like. I’m glad it looks like a destroyer though :wink:

I just had my first sketching session, below the results :slight_smile: I’m sorry for the horrible quality of the photos. In my defense, it looked OK on my phone.

The first sketches where WAY to detailed and chaotic. I realised I was being stupid for not keeping it simple, so I simplified my favorite sideview. I copied the last drawing to have a backup and to use as an underlayer. I tried out a few printer settings, which is why I have so many of them :wink:

Next session I will redraw the ship by starting with 2 combined blocks in perspective a few times, trying out different dimensions. It’s tricky to make the design both an aggressive warmachine and an elegant Centauran starship.

EDIT:
Apparently I’m really fond of this shape, I just realised I’ve drawn it before :expressionless:

5 Likes

[Larger Image][1]
[1]: http://inovaestudios.blob.core.windows.net/forumsavatars/1518a7dfaa563607869b3d246486ec402b2679ef22ff.jpg

Here is a rough Perspective View. Much more work than I thought it would be. May take awhile.

3 Likes

A new Top View.Large Image

2 Likes

Made some progress on the back section.

2 Likes

I should probably dig up Blender and do some quick modeling on those top and side views of mine. Problem is… I’ve forgot almost everything about how it works :confused:

I can do a very fast and simple 3D grays scale model for ya Lucas!

1 Like

That would be super awesome :smiley:
I would need a render from the same angle that you took that perspective view of your ship plus maybe one from below at roughly the same kind of angle.

Edit: or maybe the rendering of the bottom should be from the behind so that the engine layout is visible.

Got these just to show. Took about 30 minutes. I will add a few more sections.

4 Likes

Haha that’s genius! Especially the turret :wink:

So competition turns into cooperation? I might ask LucasFIN to make the sideviews for me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sure! And then Universal can use those side view to make the perspective for you :wink:

Looking good! :smiley:

The seams on the side near the number 12 make it look like the hull lacks some curvature(?).

Edit: Also… the brown area below those big front guns is actually flat. Now it looks like it has steps.

Looking forward to the finished model :smiley:

Ok this should do. Dont know if angle is what ya need.

1 Like