What is your favourite spaceship design?

The Orca seriously looks like luxury sport spaceship designer from the future made it, like a Mclaren of the year 2700. It’s awesome. I wonder if Battlescape should have been Centaurus, but none of the other cent ships look so good.

Whenever we get Cent, the Orca should be one of the first ships implemented.

Also, I’m a big fan of anything created by Ralph McQuarrie.

1 Like

For a bit of context about the Orca, here’s the contributor’s (Xenos89) post about it and his “Spitfire” model in the development forum:

1 Like

Yup i love Industrial spaceship designs.

5 Likes

I voted with my feet back when, modeling the ships that I liked. That was almost exclusively @LucasFIN’s Centauran designs. I have zero interest in “airplanes in space”, so all those little ships that look like fighter aircraft are complete non-starters (e.g. Elite Dangerous). As an atmospheric ship, the Orca looks pretty good to me.

Fighters should be closer to spherical than any other ship type.

What about spaceships that also operate in atmosphere? Wouldn’t it make sense for them to have some aerodynamics instead of relying only on their thrusters? It’s not like an aerodynamic shape cost anything significant in space.

Aerodynamics will be fine as long as you can do it without loosing any space mobility or adding any mass otherwise you will just have added something that is only useful the last 100 km but a hinderence the other gazillion km.

Some of my all time favourites:

4 Likes

The Betty.
A fantastic little industrial looking cargo-ship from a mostly terrible movie. She’s inspired so much for something with so little screen-time. Doubt Firefly would have existed in quite the way it did without her.


2 Likes

Always hesitant to share some of my own spaceship designs because they are pretty amateurish. But I have a couple of favorites. :pensive:

2 Likes

Nothing beats Homeworld 2 design. Hands down the best design of all sci-fi.

2 Likes

I thought that will be a very easy question for me until I saw the Bebop in the reply from @mattk50. So now I have two favorites.

All-time #1: SIDONIA

The (if I am correct) 150km long mothership Sidonia from the manga and anime works Knights Of Sidonia (Tsutomu Nihei)

Secondly: Spike Spiegels ‘Swordfish’

Both ships are exceptionaly thought through, uniquely designed and very distinctive.The Sidonia for example was constructed around a asteroid and the remaing material is still used as a source for repairs or as experimental ground. It has a huuuuge sweet water reservoir, actually everything in this thing is huge. It can build smaller (which are still very big) scout vessels in it’s many internal industrial facilities.I realy recommend watching the anime on Netflix if you want to see it in action.

The ‘swordfish’ is a classic yet timeless piece of a space+atmospheric flight vehicle. Like the Sidonia also very functional but good lokking and of course very thought through!

4 Likes

My favorite spaceship design.

See? It’s a sphere.

9 Likes

The Caldari Charon freighter class! The sheer size, industrial looks, modulair build style, the asymmetrical design; it all exudes deep space travel!

3 Likes

Barely any screenshots of this thing since it’s kind of obscure, but I always liked GalSpan’s Cruiser in Tachyon: The Fringe.


It’s like a combination of the Enterprise, an Imperial star destroyer, and a shark. It cuts an imposing figure in the game, and in combat will unleash spectacular hailstorms of laserfire. One of the few capital ships in video games that is actually a competent warship.

3 Likes

Dude, we’ve you been? :smiley:

Did you get to take part in the KS?

3 Likes

Are you an EVEer too?

Earth is just sooo … perfect. :sunglasses:

Nah. Live ships are so inefficient. Stasis is better. Not to mention all the energy lost on that giant undirected fusion reactor. Although I guess it’s OK for a cruise ship.

1 Like

Nah, admirer from afar. Can’t afford the time required to make the game play rewarding. Although ever so often I’m tempted to get started :wink:

Know what you mean. Killer learning curve that can be excruciatingly boring sometimes.