What is your favourite spaceship design?

I prefer the Normandy 2 ;)… spent too much time on Normandy and upset that there is no room for the captain !!

As they are laying “down” in the cockpit, they would support negative g relatively well (way better than if they were sitting upside down, for example) I’d think. Imagine being strapped at a couch at the ceiling.
The arms suspended down may feel a bit disagreeable, so I’d expect them to keep them at their sides instead of at the commands in front of them, if they have to wait for a bit before launching.

The Starfury is also one of my favourites.

Well, both enterprises depicted here count as science-fiction…

Among my favourites are the Hermes, from The Martian, in its varied forms; this Exacting class starfighter the Venture Star from (urgh) Avatar and the USS San Jacinto from Through Struggle, the Stars.

But my absolute favourite so far is the Orion-powered version of the Discovery. Because nothing says badass like using nuclear explosives to move around.

Yeah, I like hard-SF.

If space-capable mech count, I’d also add the MS-06 Zaku II from Gundam - the T-34 of mechs (if not for those pesky, bizarre-looking super-prototypes and non existent logistical problems. The side with the Königstiger lost, after all).

2 Likes

I have to say the Millennium Falcon and most Star Wars ships are top notch and timeless, especially Slave 1. But there are so many out there I love and could just as easily add them to my wallpaper collection. I have to say though, in regards to Battlescape ships, they are the best I have seen in any game! In fact, they are consistently brilliant across the board unlike some other games that will go unmentioned. :rocket:

1 Like

4 Likes

Well, since nobody else did it. I like the Firefly class transport ship.


Its a nice ship, capable of long distance flights, with escape/transport pods, and the ability to do VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing)
Its a very industrial ship, and I feel it looks very nice.

1 Like

1 Like

Defying Gravity Antares

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/defyinggravity/images/f/fc/Antares.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130512201020

1 Like

Definitely the Nimitz from some of the earlier Infinity:Tqfe size comparison charts
…
What do you mean it’s not a space ship? Why would it be there then?

Edit:
I guess the one on the left edge of the cover would come in as a close second place:

I’m going to throw my hat in the ring for this guy:

Partly because I had a couple of models of them as a kid (one freighter and one transporter) and partly because they hold up as a pretty good and stylish near future spacecraft design. I mean look at the RCS thrusters on the landing gear pods.

2 Likes

What makes me think it’s a spaceship from a very close future is the armatures. And what makes me think it’s a toy is the folds in the sheet :smile: (with a big imagination, it’s a representation of a space-time distortion)

where did you find it ?

It’s an Eagle Transporter from Space 1999.

I definitely like the design of the Eagle, but I wish the cockpit module reflected the overall practical aesthetic.

And here I thought I was the only one who’s heard of IFH. I was just referring to it in another thread - any chance you have a copy of the download?

I love the design of the Mothership from Homeworld, if only because of it’s uniqueness.

I also like the alien ship form Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - but again, purely because it messes with the perception of how a space-ship should look.

Otherwise I’m torn between the “smooth” ship design from Elite: Dangerous and the “rough” design from Space Citizen. The former has some fantastic looking ships, especially when viewed up close, and ED probably is the opposite. But the ships in ED also “feel” like they’d do better in an atmosphere.

1 Like

The other contenders for my favorite ship designs are probably some of the contributions on the old forums, i can’t remember anything in particular though.

2 Likes

Definitely two of my favorites

However cost-inefficient they may be they are modern marvels of technology/engineering and makes my inner engineer very happy.

Edit: I forgot the upgrade…

I’ll add the Orca from the old contributions among the contenders - simply beautiful.

And the Tachi from the Expanse - both the book and show versions.
The book version, like all military ships, is explicitly described as an ugly, utilitarian shape assemblage, but is a great ship nonetheless. And they did a pretty good job on the show version.

The Expanse ships look great in general - and finally we have sensible, vertical ships!

5 Likes

Too mainstream?

I’m actually loving the Hellion. Was that Gene’s design?

2 Likes

I love the Orca! That looks great!

Kristian (spAce) designed the hellion exterior, and the modelling work was done by @INovaeGene, with texturing work done by @INovaeAndre

Much was learned through the asset’s production, and it will be informing our production pipeline for future art assets.

2 Likes