Wallpaper - Give Us Your Best Shot! (Image Intensive)

No, it was scrapped after the kickstarter.

2 Likes

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying. Why was it scraped. I must of missed that announcement or not fully understood it at the time. That’s a shame, I kinda liked the look of this old rust bucket ship.

The model became obsolete for two major reasons:

  • The geometry is very low poly ( IIRC 5K triangles ), while our current in-game assets are 150K. It looks good despite the low geometric detail thanks to the nice texturing/materials. Our current ships are all untextured, but that will come later on.

  • The cockpit used an insane amount of materials and textures, consuming > 1 GB of video ram usage alone. To optimize it it needed a complete rework anyways.

2 Likes

I understand now, thanks for explaining.

It would be nice to have its replacement re-created in that exact screen shot, maybe some others as well. When texturing is completed.

And my question about ships you acquire/use. Will they come looking new or already used. And will they appear worn out over time, not just looks but in flight & weapon performance. Will this be just during each match or some sort of semi-persistence.

The game isn’t a persistent MMO. There’s going to be damage effects / decals eventually, but I don’t think it’d make sense to have persistence for dust, scratches etc… The lifetime of a ship overall is low in average, a couple minutes if you’re lucky. So yeah, there might be more effects, but no, they won’t be persistent, as it’s not a sandbox MMO.

2 Likes

I understand now thanks. Best of luck with the move to alpha.

A few more pics I took while doing some testing today.

13 Likes

11 Likes

Some Alpha destroyer pics:

11 Likes

A few of mine, from an hour ago:

15 Likes

0.3.0.0

18 Likes

I

22 Likes

11 Likes

Any patches due out soon. The ED and SC threads could do with a couple screen grab posts to freshen’em them up with something new.

1 Like

So could I> :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Escorting a Hauler

Attacking an Enemy Hauler

Traffic Jam, heh. Flavien has been informed of this interesting behavior, it looks like two haulers meet up at the same time and bump into each other until they die…

7 Likes

Haulers seem to stray from the path from time to time. I decided to follow one out between the planets, not in warp.

Photogenic “little” ships

7 Likes

A couple of my favorite shots from todays stream.

13 Likes

An awesome mountain shot I got today:

Unfortunately, I didn’t think about rolling the ship to not get the struts in the way :frowning:

EDIT: two more, this time from space:

18 Likes