Time to spread the word! (Evangelism Kit)

Of course it’s the answer. What do the INS guys see? The entire project. What do they think of it? They think it’s a AA title. What does the public see? A carefully-filtered view of the project. What do they think of it? They think it’s a AAA title.

It is because the public is getting a filtered view of the project that the AAA expections are being set. The public is seeing the very best of the team’s work. If the team showed off all of their work, the public would reset their expectations.

Once expectations are reset, the team has a shot at getting people to think about them as a different breed of cat; that something cool is going to come out of the shop. Because that’s what indie companies do.

1 Like

I hate to admit it, but you do have a point @JB47394, the way I look at it, INS has spent years on this particular side of the tech and it looks great. Expectations are that the whole game will be of the same quality, however realistically this is impossible. The project is scheduled to last 2 years, less time than just the amount of time they have spent preparing for the KS. They will not be able to produce a AAA game even with the money from KS, the man hours just don’t allow that.

However I don’t think that making their material look worse is the right decision, it can only hurt the KS, the best they can do with the situation they are in is to make a best possible attempt at the KS and then produce good gameplay. Someting I know is one of the things that can be done cheaply and we as a community have the capability to guide them in the right direction.

3 Likes

Dont dampen the quality of your content to lower expectations. Dont mislead people, just give them what you have, straight up. tbh people should expect the same thing from both indie and AAA devs: a good game.

I don’t know. They spent years to make the engine look good, sure, but making (realistic) real-time procedural planets look good is incredibly hard. In fact, this volcanic moon is the first one I’ve ever seen to not have this sort-of molten look they all tend to have (nor LoD popping).
Compare to, say, the last Elite video: it looks great and many talented people obviously put lots of efforts in it, but look at their mountains and their crater rims: at km-range, they have this molten look (and they still have LoD popping).

So yeah, the planet in INE are AAA quality. But AAA quality procedural planets look as good as AA non-procedural planets.
Compared to that, making assets like ships and buildings is a far more conventional skill, and AFAICT the art team is competent enough to make great-looking AA assets. There won’t be as many as in a big production, nor will there be all the shiny (and expensive) little bits like individually gimballing thrusters and full cockpit animations, but they will look as good as the planets.
The Kickstarter asset isn’t at their standard for the final game yet, but nor is the planet generator, and it is expected from a prototype. And they can control the view to make it look better.

What will make or break it, though, is the gameplay and the ability to convince people on it.
I’m so starved off Newtonian space shooters I would back it on gameplay alone, nothing else than a completed/refined version of the old prototype, even without the planets and all the things making it stand out otherwise. But the trick will be to convince people of the value of such gameplay, most of them never having experienced it.

7 Likes

My point was, that what we see now is disproportionately balanced to their abilities. Imagine studying for an entrance exam for 10 years, you should ace it, but what happens when you get accepted and there is a new exam every few months…

Anyway, some more press coverage, one is from Eurogamer’s sister site Italia and the other from another Italian site, probably just an echo.

http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2015-10-15-news-videogiochi-il-vaporware-infinity-battlescape-sbarchera-presto-su-kickstarter

http://www.vg247.it/2015/10/15/infinity-battlescape-annunciata-una-campagna-kickstarter/

Thanks for this. I’ll pretty much copy paste it into the infinity subreddit sidebar, that stuff is all links to the old forum still.

Folks i would like to ask if anyone here is in possession of some fitting music for fan made remix of inovae video footage posted over the years…
and will be willing to give out for the promotion purposes of Inovae ?
(don’t worry i wont monetize the video)

If i remember correctly some of you here were fairly talented musicians.
I know that term “fitting” is rather subjective so please don’t be mad if i don’t pick yours.
If nothing comes up i can always use plenty of songs from public domain/youtube library and so on.
But i thought, that it would be nice to use something from community first…

I generally use this http://freemusicarchive.org/, just look at the reuse terms.

@INovaeFlavien & @INovaeKeith, in the KS video do you mention the history of I-Novae at all? Just to prevent people saying you’re trying to ride the wave of Elite & Star Citizen.

1 Like

I know one of the dudes who did a fair bit of music contribution. His name was Amorbis on the forums iirc. Haven’t heard much from him in a little while though, I think he’s been busy.

Not really, no timeline is given in the video. Flavien might have to do a blog of the chronology or something that is linked on the KS page.

2 Likes

I think that’d be a good idea.

FYI, I’ve posted a presentation of I:B on a french forum of a gaming magazine:
http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/101254-Infinity-Battlescape

Any comment is welcome.

Maybe you could add www.infinity-universe.fr for those who wants summarized news about the project ?

Agreed, I missed that one :wink:

1 Like

Updated the plot and development section of the Infinity wikipedia page. While Infinity: Battlescape should be noted in that page, it deserves its own page.

[edit] Would be nice if an English native speaker, not affiliated with I-Novae, would check the grammar and syntax of the page. As when I write in English, I use commas like I do in my native language.

1 Like

Cool. I was looking at that page the other day.

Here’s the wikipedia page

fixed a few things. no offense but the writing in the current version of those sections isn’t terribly fun to read. I’m not well-versed in the lore and not a great myself a writer (see what I did there?) but hopefully some people will join in and take a shot at it. oh and thanks for updating it.

I’m suggesting you reread what you fixed. We need an English major in collaboration with Keith or Flavin to make sure that is well written.

I’m good at finding mistakes not good at original work.
quoji you did more than some so thanks.

they were all one letter fixes but go for it