There’s not much to comment on him, I already answered his first comment that had some weird statements, but now he’s just basically saying that he doesn’t really believe in multiplayer games unless they’re already big like dota. It mostly feels like he doesn’t really want to discuss things, just point out things that he think will make the game fail or something.
He is very vocal on the SC thread on the Ed forums.
A good question though, what comes post release to keep the online game alive and fresh?
Constant updates and modding.
and players who want the game to be alive
remember that age of empires 2 and age of mythology still has a multiplayer community even after this many years (a little help from the HD releases as well)
Do the dev’s have clear plans post release in two year’s time. It would be good to at least hint to these updates.
Since the links doesn’t work I do not know exactly what he has written, but I would answer something like:
Different people like different games. Battlescape isn’t a MMO and isn’t designed to be content-driven. Battlescape is round based and you play the game because you like the mechanics and game-play (in a way just like I played Brood War or Battlefield 1942 long after the games were ‘finished’ and no new content was added). Instead of playing to get new loot you play to constantly get better at piloting your ship, to constantly come up with new tactics and strategies. You play to learn how to best counter the other two teams plans. You play to scheme with your friends under and between rounds. Just like you continuously play RISK or SETTLERS OF CATHAN or any other board game, for example.
HOWEVER, Flavien has worked on Infinity and the I-Novae-engine for the last ten years, I don’t think he will ever stop to develop it and release new things. How grand those things are will of course depend of the level of backing the project gets (just as with literally any game).
And as others have mentioned, modding.
Ask him in a private message why he keeps following you. Explain that we love both SC, ED, NMS and Infinity: Battlescape. The more the better! Battlescape is no serious competitor for SC and will not make SC any worse, quite the contrary. If he does not like Battlescape, then that is cool, but there is no reason to make it worse for the rest of us.
Keep up the good work JonnyRedHed. I like your answers in the SC-thread. On-point and polite.
Ah sorry, yes you need to be registered on the SC forums to access some of the sections. I completely forgot that. I do apologise.
he said:
Taking out the setting what you described is a stripped out version of
Crowfall, or a larger player count World of Warcraft Alterac Valley
(classic version that could last for days).
The problem
with multiplayer only games is that you need a player base constantly
playing them in order to have a game. Steam is filled with good-great
multiplayer only games that no one plays. People play at the start then
slowly move on, as the player base gets lower more people move on and
soon the game is basically dead, this happens with all game types, but
it effects multiplayer only games the most. MMO’s get around this by
having tons of PVE content, single player games don’t care as the number
of people playing does not effect them (even then if they have a
multiplayer component it suffers). The exceptions to this are the big
players, Dota 2/ LOL (both F2P), Star Craft (no competition), but they
built up over time and don’t really have competition (with the few games
trying to compete failing hard), they are also not the niche game that a
Space arena game is.
Backing a multiplayer only game, is a very
large risk, it could be a good game but still die shortly after
release. If they were trying to achieve some type of persistence (with
the base game) that is run and operated by good AI, I think they would
be doing much better.
he also repeated it on the ED forums:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150306&p=3039934&viewfull=1#post3039934
Thanks. I do what I can.
@hrobertson
Thanks
I actually created an account to be able to read the forums but can’t follow the link anyhow. Probably something strange with their forums.
Truth to be told I don’t really understand his argument though. What he says is true for all games, multiplayer and single player. Multiplayer will only be fun as long as there are people to play with. Single player will only be fun as long as the game doesn’t get repetitive, which they all do (fairly quickly in my opinion). MMOs die as well, doesn’t matter how much loot you get when you realize your loot dmg just scales with the monster HP.
I mean, the same could be said about SC, the risk is just as high - once the player base gets bored and stops playing you’ll be left with a single player that last for what, 20 hours? If he thinks those 20 hours somehow negates all the “risk” then that’s fine but I would not agree.
So I don’t really know what answer he is seeking.
I’d argue that since there is no game that does what Battlescape will do: Seamless, full to scale solar system with arena battles going on for days with 100+ people, that is why the playerbase will stay at it for a really long time.
However if he tries to argue that “IF the game is boring playerbase will dimish fast” then well, that could be said about any game. I mean, IF the game is boring, it really doesn’t matter if there are players playing it or if there are single player or whatever.
Don’t know if any of my posts are to any help, but somebody might get something out of if.
Yes thanks for your help and those on the SC and Ed forums. Most appreciated. I can handle the pretty visuals and repeating facts. And Maybe you guys take the deeper questions. It will keep the flow going and driving interested peeps to the KS.
Can you follow this one:
No sorry.
Is it this thread? Does this link work? (it does for me)
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/292230/
Maybe you should point out value for money. The game isn’t trying to compete with Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. It’s an indy game. I know a lot of people like to imagine it as “the next big thing” ( aka the whole MMO ) but as a matter of a fact Battlescape is much, much smaller. It’s also much cheaper. $20 isn’t that expensive IMO and even in terms of exploring planets and discovering areas, I think you can easily have many hours of fun if you’re at least a little bit interested in that aspect of the game. Add to that the massive battles that could last days or be different every time due to team dynamics/strategies, environment hazards and random events, and for $20 I think it’ll be hard to say it wasn’t worth it…
That’s the other thread, in game ideas regarding planetary transitioning. its been hard to keep that one going though. It has potential to get lots more views being in the fast moving game ides section.
And the one that ‘1500’ was posting in was the Infinity: Battlescape thread in the ‘Other games’ section. This section moves slowly which is why I wanted to keep the planetary transitioning thread hot. But I don’t know much to add other than pretty visuals.
Thank you.
First copy the thread url. Then press permalink. Copy what comes after # and add it to the thread-url (including #).
Ex: the thread i linked earlier.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/292230/
when i click permalink i get
then just take
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/292230/ + #Comment_5853093
equals
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/292230/#Comment_5853093
link to the post.
EDIT:
And I think IA nailed it on the answer to the question.
I see my mistake. Ta.
Nah I think its a bug in their forum. My way is just a workaround sortof
I hadn’t noticed the url’s repeat the comment number twice.
If nobody has already I can make a thread. I have an account (which is not so simple to obtain), but I haven’t been over there in years.
Looks like there is already a thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127771
Hey how about using the Martian poster, photoshop out all the bring him him text, and stick in a good head of Angry Joe which goes well in the helmet.
And just use the poster as a:
’Space Cmdr. Joe’
Please Report in for duty
and we have a new use for the space helmet poster from the Martian film.
or variation thereof
and use the tag line ‘Cmdr. Joe report for duty’
and you’d read this:
Angry Joe vs Scott ‘the Dram Killer’ Manley. In the prototype for a live stream.
EDIT: this was a reply to JonnyRedHed comment about them making a duel or somesuch …but it got deleted for some reason
i have an idea 
but tomorrow its too late have to wake up for morning shift
![]()