It’s something I’ve been thinking about since before the game start. I just dislike the randomness of the first day in general but the other option which is sometimes suggested is also frowned upon (no lynch at all day one until peoples roles have a chance to gain information). My last few games have all had extra mechanics to mix things up so I can’t really compare this idea to how they turned out. When was the last human win though? If we are going to have any chance at victory something needs to play out differently…
As implied by my post I will at least confirm that I have a role, but nothing more yet.
Lysk can be a bit brash in his actions so I’m not going to add my vote yet, I’ll wait on a reaction from Cosmos, but if we have nothing else to go on…
First rule of Martin’s games is, no assumptions. We’ve played games in which everyone had roles, some people have had roles, and no one has had roles.
Lots of speculation here about my intentions with that question to the GM, Lysk nailed it with his remark to Lomsor. The last game I played had instant alignment reveals on death, and it changed the dynamics of the game significantly. From Martin’s answer, though, I’m going to assert the existence of some sort of Medic mechanic. Not surprising but nice to know.
I’m weighing the benefits of a modified version of The Sane’s plan. It would be valuable to know how many roles exist in this game, but I don’t think asking for concrete details is a good idea at this point. Still, knowing who’s roleless and who’s not is valuable to the wolves too. It might be best to have everyone PM someone a sentence along the lines of “I (don’t) have a role”, then that person publicly reveals a final roleless/roles count. There’s an 80%(guess) chance that whoever we pick is human. Even if they’re a wolf, I don’t think they would lie about the results, for fear of being caught lying about it (which means instant death, later).
Enginish sneezes, scattering the pile of foam granules. Some of it drifts lazily into the room’s air vent, causing the robot there to whirr in alarm. The cup destroyed, he begins to chew a pen.
After a few contemplative gnaws, he jabs the pen at the monitor.
“See, I thought about that. The only worry is that the trustee is an infiltrator, yeah? If we pick two, it lowers the odds of us picking commie scumbags to, uh… about 3%, from 20%. Having two trustees solves the whole ‘lying about stuff’ worry. But, but, but… The odds that at least one of them being no good rises from 20% to 37%. This is of course assuming 3 infiltrators.”
“All we have to do to prevent the trustee from lying to us is to modify the plan a bit. On day 3 or so, we can have everyone publicly reveal whether they have a role or not, then compare that list with the one supplied by our guy. Any discrepancies and we put 'im in the dirt. Only a fool would lie about something like this with his life on the line.”
“All that said, Mr. Ambassador here sounds like a fine pick. I feel like an enemy would have hesitated a bit before volunteering.”
It suggests no such thing. In fact, I’m a bit bewildered as to how you came to that conclusion. Whether I have a role or not is irrelevant to why you suspect everyone has a role. In fact, I’m personally not interested at all in knowing who has roles and who doesn’t at this point in time, but more instead interested in understanding people’s motivations and thinking. I could have a role. I could not have a role. That doesn’t change my ability to criticize your assumptions about a game we know nothing about.
I disagree with this idea vehemently, and here is why:
Whether human or wolf, there is no way for anyone to be sure that the person is telling the truth, thus rendering any assumptions obsolete. If we had a seer or something that didnt want ANYONE to even have an inkling of his existence for example, then he might choose to pretend to be a roleless player. This could put a valuable player in a very precarious position, where they would need to either reveal themselves or risk being killed during the day for suspicions. Just an example.
I don’t really agree that knowing how many roles is absolutely that valuable. What if there are wolf roles? What if there are some humans that dont have roles? How will we even discern who is a wolf from this? It could lead to false positives, and actually mislead us.
I think this is too much information/private contact to entrust to one person.
And it certainly makes me uncomfortable that the three of you have accepted this so readily.
I wont even consider this unless some pretty clear benefits are provided.
Also @martindevans How should we go about voting? Is what I did earlier with my King_Cosmos vote good? What about vote retractions since we can’t edit our posts?
We really need to hear from you all soon about your thoughts so far. We have a little more than 16 hours left, more than halfway through the first short day. We need to come to some consensus and get as much info out as possible.
What do you all think of Enginish’s post?
What do you think of revealing roles/existence of roles?
What do you think of my analysis of the situation so far?
What are your general thoughts on players and the game so far?
“Vehemently? Strong language, bub. Listen, this is just a litmus test of sorts. Huntin’ these dirty rats is a subtle exercise, and my favorite method is catchin’… inconsistencies. Trust exercises and data gathering makes that easier. Lemme just assuage your fears a bit. From what it looks like, Mr. Megarith, Mr. Sane, and myself have roles of a sort. No one’s come forward sayin’ they’ve got nothin’. It’s my suspicion that everyone in this room has somethin’ special up their sleeves, and if everyone has a role, then no one should be afraid of saying that they have one.”
Enginish said all of this with his pen’s cap between his teeth, and he punctuated each sentence with a chew. By the end, the cap was a useless mess. He spat it at the lounge’s trashcan. He missed.
(Since it’s my first time playing, I thought I would type out a solely RP post just to show I’m still paying attention to the game and then see where things went from there. But things sort of got very meta-gamey pretty fast for me so I was unsure what input I could possibly give, not having the knowledge and past experience that some of the guys in the discussion have.
Also since it’s my first time, I don’t want to draw attention to myself by pointing out how dumb it would be to start a game of chinese whispers so early in the game and so I haven’t pointed that out (Except I just did, parentheses inside parentheses what whaaaat.).)
The Janitor looked up at Lysk after having just finished mopping up the spills of coffee, martinis and god knows what else. “What do I think?” He repeated. “How the hell am I supposed to think -anything- in between cleaning up after you lot and your never-ending mess. Mopping up after you, sweeping up thousands of bits of polystyrene, cigarette butts and even now chewed up pen caps. Like Hello?! I’m standing right here.” He waved at Enginish, seemingly the main cause of his anguish. "Lest you forget, I’m well trained at dealing with and cleaning up much bigger messes than this,Enginish."
I think we need more data (no duh). At this point, it’s too early for me to feel comfortable making any kind of decision, save for the inevitable Ark vote (which I’ve already done).
No one’s talking, no one’s acting, so we have nothing to go on at all.
Sorry. I should have posted when I had free time yesterday but I didn’t.
This conversation with lysk is a non issue. It’s a joke he made in real life and he’s taking it way too far. He came out of the bathroom and he joked he needed to post in the wolf thread. That’s when I, focused on other things, I agreed thinking he said THE thread. My agreement with him was about as valid as him constantly saying stuff like “hello fellow humans” and “im a wolf lol”. It really is nothing.
At the moment I’m going to vote for LyskTravise until he removes his vote on me.
[quote] The average person in the room may be incredibly skilled and able to defy death multiple times while saving the world, but you couldn’t find more blatant liars when it comes to their expense accounts. Unfortunately all the scrupulous and professional agents seemed to wind up getting killed leaving just the mavericks to defend against the villains of the world, and the agency was forced to keep them around. After initially listening carefully to his theories it occurred to The Sane that Lysk was more conspiracy theorist than information officer and wondered what skill he must have that allowed for this to be overlooked.[/quote]
After a few hours of looking expectantly at the group, Enginish’s smile starts to falter.
“Okay, chums. Enough waiting around. We need to get the ball rolling, and it needs to happen now. Now, Mr. Ambassador has kindly offered to moderate this little exchange I’ve proposed. I’d really appreciate it if everyone would play along for this. All this is is a little bit of… Demographics research. Just greasing the gears a bit, so to speak.”
Enginish rises to his feet, and turns to face @TerranAmbass.
“Please let us know the final tallies once you have them. And remember, lying to the group means being gutted like a fish, so make sure to work carefully. You already have my answer, so now’s the time to grill the rest of these people.”
He turns back to his chair, then pauses. “Skyentist! Now’s not the time for sleeping, pal. Wake up or we’ll make you dead.”
I would like to remind everyone of the daily posting requirement. Any players who do not post today will be warned about inactivity - there will be no second warning.