I worked my arse off making the most out of it, the report that gets generated can be so incredibly useless unless taking extreme care choosing a target. Specifically targeting Noble was the best option but the problem with some of these systems, Crew Quarters included, was that having a single wolf in the group entirely nullified it. And I had to ask for far too many clarifications.
MVP: Mattk50
I called out Lucas easily enough at the end, Skyentist never showed anything to cause me to trust him, Ark I was forced to work with to enact my plans but wasn’t ever entirely sure about… Matt though, massive dedication to appearing human, constantly chatting in Steam sharing theories, and to top it off that last bit where he pointed out Lucas being a wolf made me certain he was human. Only saw my mistake when he and Ark commandeered SIF from me, 5 minutes from daybreak.
Tips on how to genuinely or ungenuinely gain that trust in the future?
This was my second wolf game ever, and being chosen to be a wolf twice in a row has been quite the ride. I feel like I improved a lot over the first game, because looking back I was pretty obvious by just staying in the shadows and not doing much in game 1.
In this game I felt I did a better job of appearing to contribute, although I’m not sure which direction to take. It’s difficult because I still have yet to play as a human, so I’m not sure what you crazy normal people are looking for!
The trick is to completely forget that you are a wolf during the day, and act entirely like you would as a human. That means analyzing players, working with others, and above all contributing to discussions. All of these things will gain you trust and build confidence in other players that you are indeed who you are pretending to be. You can see in you QT that there was a lot of discussion about “if I were a human, how would I act in this scenario?” and thats pretty much all there is to it. I think you played really well, so congrats!
My normal human strategy to use lots of reasoning in long posts, so i did the same as a wolf. If you strip out the emotional attachment to being a wolf, just consider the best strategy for a human who has limited information and roll with that while making subtle unnoticeable nudges easily explained away but will push in your favor. For example, i had cosmos and krishna under suspicion for a long time, i didnt try to lynch them right away but any slip ups i pointed out using that as evidence for them being a wolf, this put them under closer scrutiny from the rest of the players, this resulted in a lynch on krishna and cosmos being on his toes the whole game. And i pointed out fewer slip ups from the actual wolves.
but something tells me that’s not going to work anymore after this game… im going to get lynched day one for the next few games i know it. Oh well. Psychos win.
Agreeing with above sentiment.
If this kind of architecture is going to be repeated (and I have no problem with that!) I think some good changes would be:
-Remove dice throws. I don’t like being smited by RNGesus.
-Streamline role mechanisms, like crew quarters. Was a bit too complicated.
-Prevent Matt from being a wolf.
-Possibly provide some insight as to the uses of the roles when the game begins.
Other than that, great game. This game brought out the best in almost every player, I feel like, and was satisfyingly convoluted.
Not even mad, I’m impressed.
Also, Skyentist, as Lysk says, the trick is convincing yourself you’re a human. Don’t be afraid of accusing other wolves. Provide genuine analysis. Do what a smart and dedicated human would do. Also… If you know anyone outside of the forum it can be surprisingly easy to trick them.
And Sane, just to be super clear I don’t blame any of the humans for our defeat. Wolves were simply too sneaky. They deserved to win.
How about we take a break from wolf and get a triton game going! Similar diplomacy, more spaceships(Although ISS Relatively Fast treated us well)…and wait awhile since I won’t be around for 2 weeks so don’t start anything until then
Edit: Thanks for the tips. I tried to my best to do something along those lines. The hardest line for me to walk was to accuse fellow wolves without giving legitimate reasons and having people listen to me. I know at one point when Ark was being quiet Homeworlding I had to bring him up in my anaylsis for the day.
A massive thanks to @martindevans for hosting these past two wolf games. Had a ton of fun. Especially this last one!
And huge public kudos to @mattk50. He was the brains of our team in this game. I myself played a bit too lazily so luckily I was assigned to the less hectic systems and luckily we had Matt and his energy and cunning at our disposal. Operation Shock and Boom (killing off the last 5 players) was Matt’s idea and it was orchestrated by him, although he almost aborted it in the last possible moment due to a miscalculation of votes
I will have to skip the next one if it’s held right away. I have so many projects to finish.
I’m sorry to be picky but I thought I died… [Perhaps I was regurgitated somehow? (write me that rp please!)]
Great job wolves. Epic way to win.
@LucasFIN you monster you. I began to suspect you nearing the end, but to be honest I had really nobody else to call upon at that point. Well played.
Noble is jokingly speculating if he and Lomsor should decompress Security Grid and halve the amount of players alive. Although it is just a joke it’s a powerful reminder to us that we NEED to get rid of Lomsor asap to cause a stalemate in EC. The EC might be the last chance the humans got.
I knew this was a good plan! … thought we’d have another night or so though but even then would have probably been too little too late.
With regards to future games
I like that the systems give purpose to daytime activity, however I think we were really messed up by taking so long to populate the crew quarters (you were sane all along in that respect Sane) and this was just a dice roll really. Perhaps a method of ensuring certain (say tiers?) of systems will be populated early on, or starting with certain players assigned knowledge of the function of a system <- interesting dynamic of sharing information, also serving to make the RNG system obsolete.
6:53 PM - Mattk50: voted, gotta go tho
6:54 PM - The Sane: you voted wrong
6:54 PM - The Sane: dont go!
6:54 PM - The Sane: like
6:54 PM - The Sane: seriously
7:01 PM - The Sane: I would assume this is a wolf ploy to stop me shutting down SIF on EC but you were the one that pointed out Lucas being a wolf… so
Well, Triton looks interesting, but I’m still a little unsure how it’s played.
I feel like this as good as a place as any to mention a few post game thoughts.
For starters, I’ve hosted more than a few real world Wolf Games. I’m not exactly throttled to moderate a forum game, I certainly don’t want to follow Martin’s top notch act, but I am more than willing to help with set up and world building. I’ve done a lot of themed games based on current events, historical settings, Video games, TV shows, and films. I guess I’m trying to say I feel comfortable with world prep and I want to help out. I’ve really enjoyed my first two games here, so I want to give back.
Enginish and I also briefly talked about setting up a wolf game on a Minecraft server. It would be intended to be played in one sitting start to finish like the real world version of the wolf game, so we would need to plan in advanced when everyone could play. It would obey the game’s natural day/ night cycle. We would set it in a specially made village with traps and surprises prepared for players. I would definitely moderate this game personally. It would take a bit of work to set it up, so I’m mostly just trying to gauge interest. If people like the idea we might move forward with planning and prep on a Minecraft based wolf game.
Lastly, outside the wolf game, if anyone plays Xbox One games I’d be down to party up for some Halo, Forza 5/H2, DBXV, Titanfall, or whatever while we wait for the next wolf game.
This has just been a really great group of players. The tension in these games has been so insane. I really look forward to more.
Noble reached over, filled a glass, and pressed it gently into Lucas’s hand, staring meaningfully into his eyes. “Here’s to one last night before the end.”
EDIT: Also, I didnt mean to say that we should start another game immediately, actually I think its good to take a few weeks break to recover from the madness. Still, its so fun… !