The old contributions topic!

I would never have been able to get it to the same standards as other contributions but one of my favourite pieces of concept art (by the talented koshime) prompted me to try my hand at modelling in SketchUp. The features that most grabbed my attention I think were the front underside “hook” and the slanted banks of engines.

About as far as I got with it:

7 Likes

I’ll offer a mention of the warp prototype. Here are three simple screenshots from it.

A. A corvette at a space station. The leftmost dial indicates full warp disruption (the outer, blue ring) and zero power to the warp drive (the middle, grey ring).

B. The corvette racing along towards Jupiter. The leftmost dial is now indicating no warp disruption because the ship is in interplanetary space, and the drive is running at about 50% power. Alignment aids are turned on in order to make approaching Jupiter easier… The colored background is indicating the gravity field of the star and its planets. At the displayed scale, only the star’s gravity field is significant. Note that the yellow streak is not the ship itself, but the “dot trail” indicating where it has been recently. The ship itself is only a dot.

C. The corvette setting up a jump to another star. Note that the rightmost dial is lit, indicating that the jump drive is active. It’s being rather too ambitious for its jump drive, as the white line indicates how far it can jump, while the red continuation indicates the full jump path to the destination star. The warp prototype used the “jump tunnel” approach to jumping, which is a skill-based way to travel between stars. Flavien intended to use a probabilistic jump technique.

The proper way to show off the warp prototype would be with a minute-long video, but I don’t feel up to assembling one.

7 Likes

Just a starter video ended up taking 14 minutes, but I hope that it gives people a sense of the basics of the warp prototype.

If anyone is interested, I can do videos for ship interception as well as interstellar jumps.

6 Likes

Thank you for making this video. I must not have been active on the forums when this prototype was produced, so it’s really cool seeing it now.

Yes. yes I’m interested!

Also, big thumbs up for the clarity with which you explain things, you’ve got a good voice for it.

Great video! Great narration! Even though I know the system it’s nice to see a video of it detailing it’s inner workings visually.

I’m too interested.

Agree with the Sane

Thank you for the vid.
It seems fairly similar to what ED did… but your system counts with seamless warping and slow flight.
I hope that in Infinity we will see something fluid like that.

By the way, this may sound weird …but… you should consider career as tutorial narrator :slight_smile:

I started a topic for the videos that I’m creating in case folks want to talk about ship movement again. The video on intercepts can be found there. I’ll work up the video on jumping later, perhaps tomorrow.

Not at all weird, and I appreciate the comment. I’ve long wanted to do narration or voice acting or voiceovers, but have no idea how to break into the business. Apparently it’s rather cutthroat.

If I-Novae Studios wants any help with voice work, I’d be more than happy to help.

3 Likes

This is a SFC Industrial Tug.



4 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah, time to jump on the nostalgia bandwagon!

Here are a couple videos of the ‘warp tunnel’ prototype I developed to explore player-interactive hyperspace jumps. Players could spawn a new tunnel based upon an PRNG seed, then fly it from end to end. My first project using OpenGL (and very close to the start of my programming hobby, so the code was, well… spaghetti)


7 Likes

Those videos are private :no_mouth:

Thanks! :slight_smile: Fixed.

1 Like

Neat, had never seen these.

It was a fun project based off a lively gameplay forums discussion. Speaking of which, I have a video demo of the trade prototype somewhere… Will try to find that and upload it to YouTube

2 Likes

I remember that one too, good old times for the forums …

I like having this topic on the first page and the forum is telling me that I post in this thread too much, so I’ll take it easy from now on. This is a Projectile Crafting Prototype.



5 Likes

@cybercritic I miss those forums. Don’t take it easy! Share!! :slight_smile:

Found it:

4 Likes

Where is everyone? Here is a NPC vehicle named Sputnik.



5 Likes

Found this model languishing on my hard drive, thought I’d give it a render for giggles.

5 Likes