I presume it will be soon after the end of the kickstarter (so they know who to give access to).
A month? >.< nnnnnnhhhh⌠HurrryyyyâŚ
It might be just my education speaking but true scale LITERALLY means what it says it is a 1:1 scale of whatever was intended to be created.
I.E. A blueprint drawn to a 1ââ:1ââ scale of a box. Said box is basically already put together except with only paper instead of whatever intended material(s)
Yeah but a planet on 1:1 scale with a small planet isnât as impressive as a planet on a 1:1 scale with a big planet.
Saying âThis planet has a radius of 6.5km which is a little bigger than Earthâ puts it into context.
He asked for what true scale means, not âWhat mind boggling things can we do in this engine?â
WOOOOT!!!
Back to the future day now has a reason to be remembered!
Iâm pretty sure that by âwhat âtrue scaleâ meansâ @ChrisHandley meant what are the implications of it? / what is so impressive about that?, rather than what is the actual linguistic meaning of the term.
I agree with him in that I believe it would be more impactful to state actual sizes compared to Earth/Jupiter as well as the fact that itâs true scale.
Assumed implications of otherâs meanings is a terrible thing to do on the internet, although context does support your thought and no doubt he will come on later and say âYes that is what I meanâ.
A literal question for a literal response is the best go to practice of Internet discussions, because something that means one thing to you, wonât mean the same thing to hundreds of others. So in short, youâre right, but he couldâve put the question in better terms like he did EVERY OTHER QUESTION.
Wow. Iâve been lurking for a long timeâŚ
Anyway I just evangelized to Orbiter Forums about this game. Theyâll probably be interestedâŚ
Iâm doing my bit to spread the word on the SC forums:
The game has been on my list for years, so I moved it to the top for the duration of the KS campaign.
Kotaku is picking it up!
I really missed more of âfly from the planetary ring into the canyon maze and backâ part in the main cinematic of kickstarter
i thought that would really make a point about the unique strength of the engine. Now I just hope we can make it 
Iâm well aware what âtrue scaleâ means (Iâve been following Infinity since the beginning). However, people whoâve never heard of Infinity before, and only see the Kickstarter page, may easily overlook the brief mention of âtrue scaleâ, or not realise what it means. And the video sadly fails to emphasis it as well (hopefully a follow-up video will show this better).
I think a better phrase might be ârealistically sized planets, etc (similar scale to our solar system)â, and then some approximate sizes to convey just how large planets can be.
I worry about the Kickstarter, despite it currently getting phenomenal backing in the first hours & day (currently âtrendingâ towards $1.2 million) :
If you check the Kickstarterâs Comments, most of these pledges come from people who have been following Infinity for a long time, and are making very high initial pledges (often as much as they can afford). This is partially backed-up by the fact the average pledge is currently $71 (much higher than the $20 minimum needed to get the full game, which I think is what most people normally pledge).
What this means is that once Infinityâs âold timersâ have finished making their pledges, we may suddenly see pledges stop (or continue only at a much lower level). To a certain extent that happens to most Kickstarters, but Iâm worried it might be much more severe for Infinity. If that happened then itâd get no-where near what youâd naively expect by linearly extrapolating it (aka âtrendingâ).
Hopefully my worries are unfounded, and Infinity is able to attract a lot of ânew bloodâ.
Itâs a bit too early to worry, give it a day or two, everything looks fine ATM.
I think an infographic which shows the size of some of the planets in the game in comparison to earth, venus etc would give everyone a good idea of the size.
I have a technical question about this part of the FAQ:
Q. Is this a one-time buy, or will it be free to play / pay to win, or have a monthly fee ?
A. No, youâll just have to buy the game once and thatâs it, you can play for as long as you want.Q. Will there be player-hosted dedicated servers, or only official servers ?
A. Players will be able to host their own servers and to mod them.
Official servers will of course be the default choice, and will feature
official stats tracking and achievements.
If everyone plays on the official servers (by default), wonât that incur a substantial running cost (for you) which would require a monthly fee from players? Elite Dangerous got around that by having the players themselves handle the heavy traffic (P2P networking), but you arenâtâŚ
There are no actual sizes, though. There are only scales. To say that itâs a 1:1 scale, then, means that something that is supposed to be 10 km long is really 10,000 times longer in-game than something that is supposed to be 1 m long. The ability to fly around an entire planet in a manner of seconds completely defeats the impact of âsizeâ.
That said, I agree that big numbers sound impressive (I use them all the time to wow people who donât know anything about numbers).
Kickstarter will pick up once the bigger youtubers feature it on their channels. Manley has 500 times the number of subscribers that the kickstarter has backers atm and his channel is space game centered, so thereâs bound to be a big influx of new people from him.
@INovaeGene Just a quick question.
I have a (very small) youtube channel, but I want to make a video about Battlescape and the kickstarter being live now, to hopefully get more attention to it.
Am I allowed to use any previous video and artwork content that I-Novae already released?
And if yes, whatâs the best way to download the videos for editing?