The Kickstarter has begun! Pledge now and spread the word!

Wow. I’ve been lurking for a long time…

Anyway I just evangelized to Orbiter Forums about this game. They’ll probably be interested…

I’m doing my bit to spread the word on the SC forums:

Jonny’s TOP list of in-development Space Sci-Fi Games 2015 - Routine - Adrift - Interstellar Marines & Infinity:Battlescape

The game has been on my list for years, so I moved it to the top for the duration of the KS campaign.

3 Likes

Kotaku is picking it up!

2 Likes

I really missed more of “fly from the planetary ring into the canyon maze and back” part in the main cinematic of kickstarter :disappointed: i thought that would really make a point about the unique strength of the engine. Now I just hope we can make it :frowning:

I’m well aware what “true scale” means (I’ve been following Infinity since the beginning). However, people who’ve never heard of Infinity before, and only see the Kickstarter page, may easily overlook the brief mention of “true scale”, or not realise what it means. And the video sadly fails to emphasis it as well (hopefully a follow-up video will show this better).

I think a better phrase might be “realistically sized planets, etc (similar scale to our solar system)”, and then some approximate sizes to convey just how large planets can be.

1 Like

I worry about the Kickstarter, despite it currently getting phenomenal backing in the first hours & day (currently “trending” towards $1.2 million) :

If you check the Kickstarter’s Comments, most of these pledges come from people who have been following Infinity for a long time, and are making very high initial pledges (often as much as they can afford). This is partially backed-up by the fact the average pledge is currently $71 (much higher than the $20 minimum needed to get the full game, which I think is what most people normally pledge).

What this means is that once Infinity’s “old timers” have finished making their pledges, we may suddenly see pledges stop (or continue only at a much lower level). To a certain extent that happens to most Kickstarters, but I’m worried it might be much more severe for Infinity. If that happened then it’d get no-where near what you’d naively expect by linearly extrapolating it (aka “trending”).

Hopefully my worries are unfounded, and Infinity is able to attract a lot of “new blood”.

It’s a bit too early to worry, give it a day or two, everything looks fine ATM.

I think an infographic which shows the size of some of the planets in the game in comparison to earth, venus etc would give everyone a good idea of the size.

3 Likes

I have a technical question about this part of the FAQ:

Q. Is this a one-time buy, or will it be free to play / pay to win, or have a monthly fee ?
A. No, you’ll just have to buy the game once and that’s it, you can play for as long as you want.

Q. Will there be player-hosted dedicated servers, or only official servers ?
A. Players will be able to host their own servers and to mod them.
Official servers will of course be the default choice, and will feature
official stats tracking and achievements.

If everyone plays on the official servers (by default), won’t that incur a substantial running cost (for you) which would require a monthly fee from players? Elite Dangerous got around that by having the players themselves handle the heavy traffic (P2P networking), but you aren’t…

There are no actual sizes, though. There are only scales. To say that it’s a 1:1 scale, then, means that something that is supposed to be 10 km long is really 10,000 times longer in-game than something that is supposed to be 1 m long. The ability to fly around an entire planet in a manner of seconds completely defeats the impact of “size”.

That said, I agree that big numbers sound impressive (I use them all the time to wow people who don’t know anything about numbers).

Kickstarter will pick up once the bigger youtubers feature it on their channels. Manley has 500 times the number of subscribers that the kickstarter has backers atm and his channel is space game centered, so there’s bound to be a big influx of new people from him.

@INovaeGene Just a quick question.
I have a (very small) youtube channel, but I want to make a video about Battlescape and the kickstarter being live now, to hopefully get more attention to it.

Am I allowed to use any previous video and artwork content that I-Novae already released?
And if yes, what’s the best way to download the videos for editing?

1 Like

I think we need to take a moment to appreciate just how gorgeous this page is:

https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

1 Like

I just pledged showing appreciation to a beautiful game and can’t wait to play this baby!

3 Likes

I agree with this. It would give people a better idea of what INS means by 1:1 scale. Especially if they include a scale bar in km :smiley:

1 Like

We will host as many servers as we can and it’ll be up to players to host additional servers. Player hosted “verified” servers will show up in our server browser.

1 Like

Wait for it … wait for it … WAIT …

Woo-hoo!
You are now an official backer of Infinity: Battlescape.

:smiley: GOGOGOGOGO :smiley:

congratz , i will enjoy the game yes , but that game engine , Magnificent !!!

KEEP IT UP !!!
note:. cant create an acc in the https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape , or is it the same as this acc to post here ?

I think I-Novae accounts are and will be universal, so you can use the same account to log on to the forums, the game, the virtual marketplace, etc. I think that’s why you can login through the inovae front page before accessing the forums.

OK, so if Infinity is very popular then people might find the official servers are full, and they’d have to host their own game (they’ll need a large upload speed - sadly not so common), or find someone else doing the same (hopefully with a good internet connection!).

There are a lot of hosters specialized in gaming too, that’s never been a problem in most of Online games to find a server to play on.