The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

Have you tested that DLL to see if it works? Since it’s a client side thing you should be able to install it without the server complaining.

See my screenshot: That was launched from KSC. Without the DLL, it just falls apart on the launchpad.

Oh ok, that sounds like it’s working then! I checked on the repository for the mod and it seems like the original author or VK has abandoned it, so I’m happy to include that DLL.

I’ve uploaded a new modpack which patches VirginKalactic with that DLL. Same as before, just unzip it and merge it into GameData, replace any file collisions.

Remember to reapply this patch every time you update CKAN

So thoughts on this mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102237-0-25-LLL-Lack-Luster-Labs-(Sci-fi-flying-boxes)-LLL-13-03DE2014

1 Like

I’ve added it to the suggestions list (for the next time we do a major mod pack update). At the moment I’d rather avoid adding too many more parts, because we’re going to blow the 32 bit memory budget if we’re not careful.

Already blown on DX. You guys using opengl?

Not me, I’m using DirectX, 32 bit on Windows with no effort to save memory except active texture management.

1 Like

Duna and Eve now have mapping satellites, took a while and of course learned a lot as is always the case with KSP. :slight_smile:

Hmm. I’ll have to look into that this evening.

This is what I threw together in a couple minutes in LLL for a crew section.

While this is the less than stellar option I managed with just B9

1 Like

Some of these electric engines are no joke. Testing a little manned ship that the VAB claims has nearly 50 km/s in it. This is without using a boil-off-able fuel too!

Also, may I say that FAR makes it kind of ridiculously easy to get to orbit. My rocket (pictured here in its entirety: no shed stages other than payload fairings) made it into orbit, then performed a Jool system transfer, then a 400 m/s course correction before its first stage ran out of fuel.
On my way to the Jool system as I’m typing this.

Also, what’s the etiquette on using time warp? My next maneuver is more than 2 years away. Does anyone have any time sensitive stuff? Should I just warp now so that someone else doesn’t fast forward through my window while I’m offline?

1 Like

Does FAR make things easier? It’s been a really long time since I’ve not used FAR…

Which fuel mixture is that? I’m pretty that LOX boils off (assuming you’re using Kerosene).

There server is set so that everyone has their own warp bubble. When you join the server you rejoin the bubble you were last in. This means you won’t force other players years into the future if you timewarp your way forwards. Of course, it also means you’re stuck off in a bubble of future time until everyone decides to catch up to you!

Well, the lox does boil off. Probably about one unit every 3 weeks, judging by my booster’s performance.
The solar craft uses liquid ammonia though, which has a higher boiling point than the ambient temperature in space (did my realfuels research here), so it never boils off, even without radiators.

And yeah, a rocket like the one I used would have made it to… Probably a sad little suborbital hop using stock aerodynamics. Certainly not an SST-Jool. It makes a nice change :smile:

Looks like stuff leaks because of the throttle setting, press X to set throttle to 0% and that problem goes away, also it seems that solution only works on your last stage.

Here is some of those "banned’ parts for you @martindevans:
RV-145 RCS Thruster Block
RV-202 Heavy RCS Thruster Block
Advanced Inline Stabilizer
Inline RCS Block
Coxswain

FAR makes things more realistic.

@Enginish’s rocket looks quite big - Stock physics adds drag based on the mass of the vessel with no regard to it’s aerodynamic properties. So the more massive it is the more drag it will experience and so the more thrust (fuel/engines (mass)) you need to add to escape the atmosphere… and that extra mass obviously means it’s harder to overcome gravity as well so you need to add more thrust (fuel/engines (mass)) to overcome gravity. - This cascades and results in totally oversized rockets.

In FAR, drag is nothing to do with mass. Two rockets of very different mass can have the same aerodynamic properties.

So yes, if you’re used to playing stock and building massive rockets then you will find you need far less Δv to escape an atmosphere.

1 Like

I thought we needed a station, so I started one…

2 Likes

Or the story of how the ISS started.

(Still waiting 1.0 to get back to KSP)

1 Like

But I was going to start the station! :frowning:

I suppose I’ll put one up around the mun.

Also, if we’re listing forbidden parts, I’ve found these:
Cubic octagonal strut mk2,3
Oscar d,e fuel tanks

1 Like

Is anybody still playing? I just about had my fill of KSP for this spell, maybe a little more. :smile:

1 Like

I’ve just reinstalled KSP and wondering how I ever managed without CKAN before. :smile:

I’m going to see what’s changed since I last played (it’s been a while), test out a few mods then I might see about braving the server with you lot!

For Science!

2 Likes