The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

This was entirely too much fun to fly around in.

2 Likes

Looks like we have a confirmed date!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116088-Just-7-days-til-launch!-Watch-the-first-preview-video-of?p=1848441#post1848441

1 Like

1.0 Preview by Scott Manley!

It’s looking awesome, can’t wait to play it. My plan at the moment is to setup the server almost entirely vanilla so we can get a feel for the new parts/aerodynamics+reentry model etc.

Probably just keeping:

  • Infernal Robotics
  • MechJeb2
  • Kerbal Engineer
  • TweakScale

Of course we can add new things to the server as we go on, but that seems like a good base set. Any additions/requests?

1 Like

What about kOS and RemoteTech?

Oh yes we can include RT too.

As for kOS someone above mentioned an alternative which allows Lua scripting so I plan to look into that.

kOS has that charming old school BASIC feel to it, you feel like you are in the late 80s actually coding in a monochrome terminal, like the golden days of NASA. I have enough LUA modern coding type experience on a daily basis, please reconsider.

Anyway, please post some links to this LUA scripting mod when you have some more info.

The alternative is Selene.

I haven’t used either kOS or Selene yet, so if you object to Selene I don’t mind sticking with kOS.

1 Like

If I object then @hrobertson is gonna object to my objection :wink:

By the looks of their API page, it is still very early days for that MOD, IMO kOS is a bit more polished ATM, for instance you can’t activate action groups or access part information in Selene, also the documentation is nearly non-existent…

/edit
Here is the documentation for the two mods.
http://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS_DOC/
https://github.com/BlackNecro/Selene/blob/testing/Reference.txt
https://github.com/BlackNecro/Selene/tree/testing/Plugins/PluginData/SeleneCore

1 Like

You can do anything in Selene… You can directly interact with the game API.

Yes it’s not polished at all.

I have no objections though as I’m not playing.

2 Likes

KSP 1.0 is out. :smiley:

/edit
We are gonna have to wait a few days for the mods to get updated.

4 Likes

The Sunfish lives! …Kind of!
Having to deal with stock parts makes it a lot less awesome though. Xenon tanks are 55% fuel by mass. 55%. That’s disgusting. Not to mention the fact that my engine isp is down to 4200 from 8500, and my battery capacity down to 1,850 from 50,000. :cry:
I had to slash literally every frill the old design had, and even then I can only do 8.5 km/s with this thing.
They did secretly quadruple the thrust of the ion engine though, so with 4 engines it can do about 0.25g.
Which is… Good, I guess. But not as good as it was.

General impressions of 1.0 so far:
-Orbits are easy, a-la FAR. An orange tank with a skipper engine lifts 6 tons into orbit, and gets it most of the way through a mun transfer orbit.
-Planes are harder… kind of? They seem to flip more, but perhaps I just suck at making planes like they should be made.
-Fairings are pretty well done. Really nice animations for the VAB. You’ll know what I mean when you see it.
-Stuff explodes. A lot. No more cruising at mach 10 or whatever, your plane gets explode-y past about 1.5 km/s (Wings tend to go first). Sometimes rockets with excessive TWR’s explode on the ascent from heat buildup. Apparently LV-N engines can only be run at half power without parts exploding. I also wouldn’t bet too heavily on parts that aren’t heat-shielded capsules surviving reentry.
-Haven’t tried the mining yet, but it looks like quite an investment to refine the ore. Those parts are not small, and they are not light. Still pumped to finally set up a base with a purpose, though!

EDIT: Turns out it can do Mun landings as well, if you’re careful not to break the solar panels. I wasn’t careful.

3 Likes

Do your planes flip more than they did in FAR, or just as much as FAR without using any of the stability calculators?

Because if it’s the latter you just suck :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Must go and update this right now :stuck_out_tongue: I tend to prefer stock builds, and maybe a couple of essential mods (e.g. Mechjeb etc). So it’s extremely pleasing that more and more things are being incorporated into the base game!

EDIT: Such… quick… loading :smile: That made a change getting to the start screen so fast! I have test launched a couple of rockets and the new aerodynamics and drag seem very nice. The new fairings are pretty awesome.

Agreed!

Now I’m going to have to start testing the resource system. Note to all - a surface-scanning satellite must be in a polar orbit otherwise it will refuse to perform the scan!

1 Like

[quote=ā€œSab1e, post:255, topic:527ā€]
Note to all - a surface-scanning satellite must be in a polar orbit otherwise it will refuse to perform the scan![/quote]

So does it reveal the whole surface at once? Or is it like ScanSat, Kethane, etc? If the latter then the polar orbit restriction seems ridiculously unnecessary and annoying.

Well my test scan of Kerbin revealed that it carries out the scan (which also needs an antenna to transmit), then displays a full resource overlay for the entire planet. The big scanner seems to use quite a lot of power, so make sure you have plenty of electricities!

The resource overlay can be viewed from the scanner itself, the map screen, or the tracking station, it appears.

RemoteTech doesn’t work with KSP 1.0 and the mod has changed a few devs since it has started, it doesn’t load, not sure when the community will update it…

So, I forked the repo and fixed the compile errors, haven’t tested it properly, but it loads and it looks like it’s working. For those interested, here is the patched version for KSP 1.0.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/RemoteTech%20[1.6.5]%20(1.0-fix).zip

Ah ok. In that case requiring a polar orbit makes sense.
Does it work even if your orbital period matches the rotational period of the body?

You mean a sort of a polar, GEO, which is somehow a contradiction since it’s a polar orbit?

I would guess that you would have to invest a lot of effort to get into that orbit by accident and mess up your scan. :wink:

I guess so. There is a maximum and minimum altitude requirement also, but I can’t remember what they were :stuck_out_tongue:

Might have to give this a try, thanks. I’ve grown quite fond of RemoteTech since this thread pointed me in its direction. Gives more purpose to satellites and suchlike.

Doing some experiments with planes. Tidbits:
Turbojets die at 26 kilometers, even if you have intake air.
Sustained airspeeds of 1km/s or even sometimes less at ~20 kilometers is enough to blow up your plane… SSTO spaceplanes might be a lot harder in 1.0.

SAS apparently keeps you from destroying your plane with reckless maneuvering. With it enabled, it was impossible to cause a breakup, and without, all it took was a stiff yank on the stick and everything fell apart.
Airbrakes can be used for steering (enable with right click), and not only are they amazing at it, they also look unspeakably cool. Evidence:

3 Likes