Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

An article from the guy about CITIZENCON 2018.

1 Like

As much I dislike the guy he raises some concerning points. I am still thinking about buying Star Citizen but I probably give it more time and see in the next years how it evolves.

To me Star Citizen does not have a ā€œsoulā€ yet. I don’t see the big vision, only tech demos and reports about bugs, delays etc.

4 Likes

Star Citizen = Pure comedy

From the guy

2 Likes

Latest Guard Frequency Episode 233 | CitizenCon 2018 Review & State of the Game

Who paid for this. Backers? (I hope its a fake image)

It’s real. It was made by JR Fabrications, a CIG endorsed company making custom SC themed furniture etc.

All of the desk etc you see at CitCon on the stage and elsewhere at the event are made by JR.

https://www.jrfabrication.co.uk/

1 Like

CIG UK accounts well overdue now. Why.

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.msg10089#msg10089

1 Like

Star Citizen’s face over IP tech redeemed by David Bowie cover - polygon article

4 Likes

A lawyer talking about CIGs latest response:

2 Likes

Great cover, but the lack of blinking or any upper facial muscle movement makes the character look psychotic

1 Like

well that’s because the face wasn’t calibrated properly, here’s a tutorial video that’s pretty decent, it shows how to get rid of that wide open eye posture lol.

1 Like

You don’t really need a webcam for that.

Just… you know, don’t take your penis out in front of it.

2 Likes

A new article from DS.

1 Like

I try to stay neutral about the state or Star Citizen - I didn’t invest in it so I’m not too fussed if it succeeds or not.

However, I will be incredibly surprised if anything ever launches. It seems like they promised much more than it was realistic to create, and insist on adding things like face tracking and Mark Hamill’s voice when there are still fundamental problems with the game(s).

It seems to be the direct polar opposite of I-Novae! Both have delays, but that’s expected for a difficult new game.

  • SC - loads of money, dodgy engineering, huge pushes in marketing to fund development.
  • I:B - not much money, developed working tech first, focused development.

Can’t help wonder if Star Citizen would be turning out better if they hadn’t had access to so much money. You have to keep tight expectations when you’re on a restricted budget.

7 Likes

Chris Roberts the man, is the problem with the project. And has been the problem for some time now. Not having a publisher has made him go stupid giddy for costly feature creep depending upon which new Sci-Fi film or TV shows he watches as the years roll on. CR needs to step down and give over control to proper producers, and now at this stage, bring in a publisher to help actually get the two games released. The online and the single player game he promised. Or what ever can be salvaged from the current project into a game people will want to go buy.

The sad thing is all those people who have pumped rather a lot of money into it over the last few years and will likely not get anything back that’s actually worth it.

2 Likes

Watching that gameplay demo, I couldn’t really see why people keep calling the game a scam. Sure, you can debate whether or not it is wise to spend such a large amount of time on superficial stuff, like ice cube physics in a drink, but what they managed to show off was kinda astounding.
Is it a poorly managed project? Probably, yes. But if that is a scam, it is probably the dumbest scam that was ever conducted.

3 Likes

A scam now, not a scam when it started. There’s a distinction to be made there.

The game engine has never and will never be able to support the game CR wants. I’m fairly certain he realised this by 2014> maybe even earlier.

2 Likes

Well, honestly i don’t think it’s a scam, it’s just a badly run project with an undefined scope that lead to continuous feature creep for the sake of immersion, which was a staple of what chris roberts was going for.

let’s take limit theory for example, an ambitious project by a fellow infinity fan, he also started a kickstater for a game back in 2012 and promised delivery in 2014 fast forward six years later and the project is cancelled. as far as i know, no one has accused Josh of being a scam even though he didn’t deliver on what he promised, he had a playable prototype a few years ago but that was pretty much it. taking what josh said, that he’s spent the money he got trying to make the game, and even put in some of his own, if you take the money that one man project raised and multiply it by 450 people it’d come up to around 84 million dollars, that gives you a rough estimate of how much the salaries would cost over the past 6 years.

I haven’t backed star citizen, heck i haven’t even backed infinity and i’ve been keeping tabs on it since 2008, I was super excited when i saw the tech demo in 2010 and i couldn’t wait to see a game with that feature come to reality, it’s been 8 years since then and we’re just now getting towards a beta, I still don’t have a decent enough device to run infinity on, but when i do get one i’m sure to buy myself a copy.

As far as Star citizen goes, if you’ve invested in it, you’ve already taken the risk, personally i haven’t invested anything in it, because even if i did it’d cost me about thousand dollars to get a device capable of running it, so, i’m waiting for the release of squadron 42 and the its reviews, after that I’ll consider supporting star citizen, but currently i wouldn’t advise anyone putting anything more than the basic 45 dollars if they’re so keen on trying the game, even then that’s 2 large pizzas worth, i’d much rather prefer 2 large pizzas to a barely working alpha.

5 Likes

Heres the thing though: They clearly try to still deliver that game. Case in point, their nebula addition-that is some visually appealing tech. Wouldn’t make sense to spent so many ressources to deliver it, if you just want to siphon-off money for personal enrichment.

About Derek Smart - Unfortunately the only thing Derek seems to be good at is feigning expertise. He is good at playing the role of knowing his stuff, but every now and then when he speaks his mind, it becomes apparent that he lives completely removed from reality in his own little echo chamber.

Also just as a sidenote (because the last posts all contained that part): I haven’t backed the game. Saw the game’s kickstarter back then and decided to buy it, once the full game launches (if it ever launches). I am acquainted to waiting quite a bit to play the games I want to play (as I imagine quite a few people here are), so I have no problem with waiting an undefined amount of time as long as the end product is good.

Speaking of Interstellar Marines - Nice to know that someone else knows about this game.

7 Likes