Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Hmmmm…that’s interesting, I don’t call JonnyRedHed a fanboy despite the fact he is the biggest poster of SC showcase videos. That’s probably because he also isn’t afraid to question which I assume is why he posts the occasional DS comments or bug laden videos. I don’t call Topperfalkon a fanboy though he is a supporter of SC; he seems to take both positive and negative views into account. And there are a few others I wouldn’t call fanboys so your accusation of me resorting to 'SC fanboy arg’ is, well, dishonest. But I imagine that dishonesty extends from the fact you are obsessed with Star Citizen - and obsession often leads to fanboy behavior…which is clearly the case here.

1 Like

What you don’t understand is it’s ok to get in an argument - about anything - as long as you keep it respectful. But if you are going to start trolling and throwing insults, it never ends well.

Alright, I apologize for that, I never meant for that post to give any offense.

1 Like

What’s the 1.0 release going to be? Everything promised so far? Where are these extra 10 years of content going to come from? Asking a sub fee after the funding raised thus far would be a bit of a slap in the face, and they’re going to be reaching the point were there are no more people for them to market this game to.

The “evolution” of the campaign is half the problem. Star Citizen is practically defined by its scope creep. CR has expanded what was already a relatively ambitious project into a fantasy project, when his responsibility was to keep it on the rails.

But you’ve missed the point entirely. Smart’s games were very much in a similar vein to what SC is trying to be, no doubt as much inspired by Elite. The closest I’m aware of from CR is Freelancer, and he didn’t manage to finish that game either.

And Wing Commander is nothing like this. As shit as the game was, the game that still reminds me most of what CR was promising from SC was Battlecruiser Millenium.

Just like 3.0 is supposed to be delivered by the end of this year, despite 2.6 still being absent?

*sighs*

2 Likes

Monthly Studio Report October 2016

TLDR

2 Likes

When the tldr needs a tldr…and doesn’t have one :frowning:

4 Likes

And again, the fanboy arg because I’m against your ideas in this debate. the posters you talk about have never been on the counter-argumentation with your args, so this arg is totally non-sense and confirm mine once again, and I am so a fanboy and so obsessed by SC that I never wrote/read a comment on SC forums, what about you ? Just count how many posts I wrote here and how many you wrote. I spent 70$ on SC, and you ? Who is obsessed ? Your way of reducing people to SC fanboys when they disagree with you is like me arguing that you must be DS in person. It’s insulting, but on my side it will never happen

No, not the entire stretch goals if I remember well, some of the lasts (just content) will arrive “just” after 1.0 and no subscription at all, that is sure. However there will be probably Free DLCs and micro-transaction to get uEAC fastly, like GTA Online

For the rest, I totally disagree but I guess you are serious so that’s your pov and a debate would be useless

_[quote=“kamui, post:1089, topic:136”]
He’s a pioneer of space game genre.
[/quote]

Not true, David Braben is.

You think you bet, you dream, you project.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about and neither does croberts.

Are you kidding me? It’s all right there in front of you.

1 Like

I did not make this list, but it sums up things pretty well:

These are some of the things we are outraged over,
this is not a definitive list it’s still in pre-alpha.

THE LIST

Initial release 2014 (didn’t happen)
Ship sales (overpriced engineering debt)
Dates (all missed so far)
Flight model (man it’s bad)
Likely completion decade (if at all)
Use of backer funds (the backers will never know)
Wild theory-crafting (everything not available to play)
Pay2win (it is)
Comparisons with ED (ED is the BDSSE)
NMS (going the same way)
Derek Smart (he was right)
Citcon 2016 (disastrous)
3.0 (not in 2016)
Refunds (get em while you can)
Scapegoating (Derek, Illphonic, leavers)
The new TOS (your money is ours we don’t need to make a game)
Development start date (it was October 2011)
Star Marine (on again, off again, already in the game)
Illphonic (CiG gave them the wrong scale to work to)
RSI forum (cast out the unbelievers)
Freelancer (history repeating)
Underdog act (CiG/RSI are now a multinational multimillion dollar business)
Sandworms (Frank Herberts IP)
Coffee machines (Lol)
Blood oxygen levels (no space in the game)
Chris Roberts physics expert (he isn’t)
Legalistic bluff called (the escapist)
Labelling backers (goon, special snowflakes)
Accusations of corporate espionage (beer4thebeergod)
INN ( Run by a rep management company, less viewers than pgabz)
Star citizen subreddit (controversial tab concealed by default, brigading)
PG birds (scopecreep on the fly)
Handcrafted universe superior to PG (this may take some time)
Switching focus from handcrafting to PG (NMS/ED bandwagon)
PU neglected for SQ42 (vast majority of backers want PU)
CR thinks he’s making a movie (repeatedly says “movie” when he means “game”)
Mocap (hollywood obsession)
Build your own studio (repeatedly)
Expensive reshoots (repeatedly)
Renting the imaginarium (most expensive in the world)
“Original” artwork (other studios logo’s still visible)
Ongoing scopecreep (cargocult)
Physical relocation to hollywood (they trade on the internet)
100 systems at launch (they’d need decades for this)
Tusken raiders (George lucas’s IP)
Nipple jets (jetpacks not required)
Killer door control (no space in the game)

SUB LIST THE CULT

Claim to be the voice of backers (actually internet loonies)
Greymarket (you can’t say black market that sounds illegal)
Deterring customers (the prospect of playing a game with them)
Run a hate sub (r/dereksmart)
Hatesub moderators shared with greymarket (financial motive)
Interference with the ED forum (exposed gaming the rep system)
Brigading
Threats
Abuse
Misinformation
Review bombing competition (LOD ED NMS)
Journalist intimidation (“wah” clickbait)
Suppressing the truth (happily embrace positive lies)
Paranoia (they see Derek everywhere)

4 Likes

Don’t worry, they’re building their own version of discord. With blackjack, and hookers.

5 Likes

+1 generally to what you or Naiba try to express few posts before. Due to this thread I got to a point few months ago where I noticed I started to feel really bad (literally!) inside and outside this forum, coming to a point thinking its better personally to skip the relation with the community (and the generally nice I:BS- and procedural dev discussions) and the Infinity game itself. This should not happen in a community or whatever what, and not in this community that has shined for many years for its positive enthusiam for the Infinity development.
Yeah, the point is to stay polite and respectful, not throwing insulting/offensive empty words at each other, not for different opinions or enthusiam for something, and not without thinking once how words reach and hit the recipient (who isn’t an anonymous alias in an Infinity forum, but an individual real person still).

@JonnyRedHed
Few interesting parts but not much new (well, thanks to you :wink: ). E.g. the Austin IT/Operations part, where they give details about the system specs they currently use for development and CitizenCon presentations. Mixed feelings. Its still nothing totally uncommon (well despite the PCI-e drive) and no double-monster-SLI-GPU-stuff you-name-it, and affordable if gaming is your only hobby. Especially for an event-presentation. But on the other hand yes it is with ~1600EUR (without the PCI-e SSD) on the very upper end of a consumer configuration.

ASUS X99-A Motherboard
ASUS STRIX 1080 GPU
Intel i7-5820 CPU
64 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM
Corsair H55 Cooler
Intel 750 Series 1.2 TB PCI-Express SSD

Maybe the good think is, I guess now with the new GTX generation that just appeared, there is probably not another big “jump forward” like NVIDIA just did with their 1050/60/70/80 genertation within the next ~2 years. So the above spec might still be valid and on the upper end until then when something visible and releaseable is more likely from CIG then now. But the bad thing is, those who backed and continuously follow SC by installing their latest alphas to give feedback are continuously provided with high system requirements as they are currently. Affordable for gaming enthusiasts, but even if the game (judging 2.5) is running still OK on lower specs like an 1070 and 2600k, surely not for everyone. I really hope they’ll stop at some point increasing performance-wise critical content at single scenes, and start polishing to reach a wider range of users and their system specs at some point.

For the Foundry UK - Graphics section the station screenshot was I think from a new scene.

IMHO the station looks nice with all that surrounding, but the procedural generation (if the station placement is procedural here) and asset design could face the same problem like in NMS, ED, or (hopefully not, although I am afraid it will) I:BS… that everything looks too much placed somewhere for no reason. This SC screen in fact could be a next generation NMS scene without any sense :wink:.
I wish them luck that they can tackle this problem with the mixture of procedural placement combined with manual ones done by the artist designers.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t knew you decide.

It is called “trying not to confuse my thoughts and truth”. You should try.

But YOU know, right ?

I’m pretty sure that in 2016 this sort of proof is inadmissible…

ROFL. This list is perfectly illustrating your args :smiley:

@JoergZdarsky Sorry to hear that…

Delusional

There is no game.

1 Like

That was not my most inspired comment, I must admit (this is why I wrote “trying to not confuse”, not “not confuse”, you should try to read me correctly). Hard to keep it right with the type of args you gave for example. But this is my thoughts, not necessarily the truth (but not necessarily wrong). I think CR is awesome, and I already find Star Citizen awesome, and I think Derek Smart is a jerk. But not sure this is useful to the debate.

edit: my point is that everything that is targeting to be the best in its domain, always creates its amount of detractors. The more detractors you see, the more words are written against/about it, the more you’re in front of something special. Not a guarantee that SC will succeed and be the best game ever, but a guarantee that it is the closer one to transform the goal imo.

There is no game ? So what is this thing on my desktop I play and is called Star Citizen, actually more advanced than I:B or any game of Derek Smart ?

So a large professional development studio and 36,000% of Inovae’s budget has spent half a decade to make something that is “more advanced” than a proof-of-concept prototype of multiplayer and flight-model by a tiny indi team? Woop-de-doo I guess? :wink:

1 Like

This list is rather long and full of ridiculousness but i don’t know what to tell you if you don’t like the flight model, with exception of the speed cap its Newtonian physics and your on a forum for a game that focuses on those flight mechanics.

If the idea of sandworms and people wearing desert clothes were owned by frank herbert or george lucas then its a lot more than SC thats violating that nonexistent copyright.

There is nothing Newtonian about sc’s flight-model.

Don’t you know that many dev time is needed to make solid things that cannot even be perceptible to players ? Star Citizen still is in the end of this phase. But act like if you didn’t know it.

The fact is that Star Citizen, like every video game now, is subjected to delays. Especially video games that choose the early access development model. it is really different than closed development.

I’m not sure why we don’t simply stop discussing and ask you what is the Truth. The most stupids interventions on this topic… where I though Zen was unreachable :smiley:

Why do you care so much about a game whose flight model you’ve clearly never experienced or done any research on?