Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Thought ED had already started work on their game before SC announced their Kickstarter. At any rate, I believe ED would be in a much stronger position had CR not announced their Kickstarter. CR jumped on the Space genre bandwagon, again, when players were drooling for something else besides EVE - CR was lucky as far as timing is concerned.

You are making a common mistake. We should judge, and can really ONLY, judge the game on what it has right NOW, not in a future patch.

Rule of thumb is judge it right now assuming no more patches were ever to be released.

His video clearly says it is about 2.5. And yet you complain and say he is wrong because of something coming in 2.6. Come on, let’s play fair…

As far as complaints are concerned I am far more concerned that the ship physics still seem wrong. The ships seem to manoeuvre like they are made of balsa wood, seemingly with next to no mass.

4 Likes

Yep. Chris Roberts just read the writing on the wall and did what he apparently does best - goes overboard. He’s the one who put player-as-character front and center in the marketing. People went ballistic over that. And that’s what made it possible for him to sell spaceships to players as a funding mechanism. Few would want to buy their character in advance, but to buy a spaceship? That’s clearly something that people can get behind.

So he understands the market and he understands marketing, but he bit off too much of a technological challenge.

I suspect that he probably didn’t have a clue that he’d get anywhere near $120 million. In that respect, he was very lucky.

Yes, always judge by the bird in hand, not the one that you hear in the distance.

No. Man’s. Sky.

3 Likes

Speaking of right now, i played some hours of the PU/arc-corp today, havent checked out the early version in a few updates. Was really impressed at the baby PU, regular crashing issues, both server and client arent there anymore and there’s good first person weapon variety and armor to use. Also played dressup for a littlebit and settled wearing nothing but an unzipped leather jacket to show off my ripped thighs and abs, perfect attire for being a space creep.

The cops and robbers thing they have going on is fun, guarding the security post from people trying to wipe their bounties lead to a series of events where i stole a freelancer, rammed the wings off a most wanted sabre before chasing him down finishing him off. Also 3 guys in a connie popped out while i was doing a mission inside a station and started shooting me, i took one and a half of them with me. One of the most fun things i’ve done in a video game in weeks is EVA a significant distance above the ship landing pads at the grimhex pirate station and take potshots at pilots getting in and out with a handheld sniper rifle.

2 Likes

I think people dont get they are complaining on an early acces… it is a game in developpment ! You backed for a game that reached 120 HUNDRED MILLIONS $ ! Of course everyhting is delayed when your budget match with bigger ambitions than the first ones…

I can’t stand complaints on KS projects… if post-KS works a lot for Inovae so they can work directly on I:QFE what will you say ? CR had to deal with backers complaining because they believed backing equals buying. Here is your delay.

There is no NPC on my alpha game… but it is an alpha ! what you want ? Do you want to make the devs yourselves ? They are doing a f*ing good job on tech ans art but fuing good job take time and when you can assist to the differents step of game development you will always see crap. Be patient or DO NOT BACK. It is like an hairdressing, you judge the final result. Please.

1 Like

I hate this in general. To buy something more on a game I already paid for. Surprisingly (for myself), I could (I will) pay for the freelancer. One of the most beautiful spaceships I’ve seen. But I don’t know its price…

If you look 5 years out of date comparing to Kingsglaive, you are still in the future :slight_smile:

There wasn’t any particular need to expand their ambitions though, other than to raise more funds. However, that methodology is begging for scope creep, and as a result, delays because what you’d already started working on is now laughably unsuitable for your end goal.

It kinda does. Kickstarter for instance now makes this explicit, that project creators are expected to deliver on their pledge promises.

Nuance is key here. Scott wasn’t really complaining, but rather making an observation that in the current build of the game, the space station is effectively deserted even though it gives the appearance of being lived in. But that’s not the worst of his grievances with the current state of the game.

No, that’s the opposite of what you’re supposed to do. Part of the point of backing at a dev access level is to share your vision of how the game should play. It’s up to the developers to take those views on board or ignore them.

2 Likes

So you really think they are going to be able to fix all those crashes, rendering and character movement issues that are progressively getting worse 3 years on in a game that will be substantially larger but smaller than its original scope, simply because it will be the final product? Sorry but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see SC’s trajectory is going to miss the mark - big time!

Well, since its not actually getting worse i guess that means its on track? It doesn’t take a potato peeler to start up the PU and notice crashing regularly isn’t a thing anymore.

@JonnyRedHed, maybe comparing a 2016 movie to a game that has to work with 50ish people in an instance isnt a very smart comparison. I dont see how you can look at the ship destruction and physics effects on top of the improved characters and say ā€œthis looks like its from 5 years agoā€. The client is already pushing the latest hardware to it’s limits.

Character design and facial animation, skin and hair. Does look like its more or less like crysis3 with some
The game is many years from full optimisation so its no wonder it runs like a system hog right now. One would hope with CIG’s funding and talent pool that we should see a lot of work done in this area from around end of 2017 into 2018> as polish is added.

I have no desire to see it fail, but it also needs to impress me more. And I hope to first try SC maybe end of 2018 early 2019 if all goes well and we have a fuller overal game experience then.

[quote=ā€œJonnyRedHed, post:689, topic:136ā€]
The game is many years from full optimisation so its no wonder it runs like a system hog right now. One would hope with CIG’s funding and talent pool that we should see a lot of work done in this area from around end of 2017 into 2018> as polish is added.[/quote]

I remember in 2013-2014 a lot of people upgrading their machines to be ready for the release of SC and play it in good conditions. I wonder how those people feel right now.

2 Likes

why would they even release the game at all? Their funding scheme works great right now, and releasing an actual game would completely destroy that.

  • Game is released
  • Great initial sales, crashes shortly after
  • People are pissed because its not what they expected and its full of bugs
  • Ship sale scheme is over
  • Negative reviews
  • Company doesn’t generate enough money to keep its operations going
  • Lots of studios closed
  • Brand and name ruined

VS:

  • Keep promising features
  • Keep hype alive
  • Continue selling ships and promises
  • Rake in money
  • Never release

Predicted release date: never or >2030

7 Likes

[quote=ā€œINovaeFlavien, post:690, topic:136, full:trueā€]

I think for those that want the latest and greatest, 2-3 years is actually a fair amount of time between upgrades. Plus the recent reveal of the 10 series nvidia cards as well as ATI’s offering would have made another upgrade seem less bothersome.

I can answer that: it sucks.

As a lot of posters on Youtube have complained about crashes, there appears to be no shortage of potato peelers.

Yep. And I remember fanboys busting a vein because I had the audacity to suggest 2015 was an unrealistic release date and that 2016 would be the earliest. Even cautious optimism has no place in SC forums > it’s all about hype and $$$.

1 Like

Zen, triple posting is still bad forum etiquette, use the edit button. I know you’d have another conniption if i sent a PM so i’ll just post here. I also can’t believe im reading your source for the current level of polish is that you read a youtube commenter somewhere saying it crashed for them.

1 Like

Everyone can’t always reply in a single sitting so it’s a matter of habit, but sure I will try to respond multiple replies in a single post but no guarantees.

Well, just a quick look will inform you but clearly you’re not interested in facts and would rather talk about forum etiquette. Nevertheless, here is a ā€˜source’ which I found in 3 seconds.

@Zen is correct about crashes. It may have improved a little since 2.4, but the client still crashes. It may depend upon particular hardware I guess.

There is edit functionality on this forum, just click the button and you can add your thoughts over multiple visits, I think it even re-checks the notification alarms…