Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Scott Manley making some truthful observations.

2 Likes

I find his opinions increasingly uninformed these days. Being a cynic doesn’t really excuse naivety.

2 Likes

Seriously?! Scott Manely a cynic? He has been supporting and pushing Star Citizen since day one! Probably long before you. And for you to call him a cynic? Really? Clearly it isn’t his cynicism that’s in question but your obsession with only hearing positive, glowing comments that doesn’t in any shape, way or form tarnish SC’s image. At least what’s left of it.

It seems I struck a nerve :slight_smile:
He stated it in the video. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on that?

And for your information I backed on day one. Much earlier than him. Not that it matters at all as an argument.

2 Likes

Nerve? You equate criticism with being a cynic and naive - it’s pretty clear who forgot to take their pills. What’s more, Scott Manely soft balled it as usual but he still got under your skin. lol.

But you are right about one thing, it really doesn’t matter how long you have supported Star Citizen. But making numerous videos and promoting something to a rather large following does…you should be thankful instead of getting all high and mighty because someone didn’t bother glowing over every single mechanic Cloud Imperium hasn’t screwed up.

1 Like

/me prepares popcorn

6 Likes

It’s clear from your comment you’ve made a lot of assumptions about my post (not to mention finding any opportunity to vent your own obvious contempt of SC). Nowhere in my 15 word post did I say he wasn’t doing any good for SC.

Scott made a comment, for example, about lack of NPCs in the Grim Hex station when it has been known for a while now that NPCs will come with the later patch 2.6/7.

In hindsight ‘naive’ was an inaccurate word to use in this case. However, I still stand by my comment that his opinions in that video are not as informed as they easily could have been.

1 Like

That doesn’t really detract from his statement about it looking deserted

But there are zero NPCs anywhere aside from a few dummy shopkeeper models. Of course it looks deserted.

1 Like

Which is what he was saying.

Your choice of naive was definitely not warranted as was ‘cynic’, especially for someone who has promoted Star Citizen for years and continues to soft peddle this horrendous product. And yes, I have contempt for SC, as do a great many: years of delay, constantly moving the bar, mismanaging expectations to say nothing of extremely bad mechanics made plain by the video.

In fairness, he literally calls himself a cynic

Yes but that was tongue in cheek. Clearly from the context of the post it was beyond that…

In the initial stages, CIG was about development; now it’s about trouble shooting, damage control and lowering the bar. Told them years ago CryEngine wouldn’t make the grade and got a big fat target on my back; devs even took an interest… Well, they wanted CryEngine and they got it. Said it once and I’ll say it again - CryEngine? Whose crying now? And it’s not that CryEngine is a particularly bad engine, it just wasn’t intended for what CR had in mind. And to be fair, nothing was. But that’s the problem, instead of stepping back and building something that suited their needs they took the easy quick fix. And the results are pretty clear. What’s more they had a groundswell of support and money kept rolling in…I can only imagine what Infinity Devs could have accomplished with such resources!!! Anyway, I can see SC is heading down that same path as NMS: big massive let down upon release.

[quote=“Zen, post:672, topic:136”]
But that’s the problem, instead of stepping back and building something that suited their needs they took the easy quick fix.[/quote]

They couldn’t build something that suited their needs because they needed a AAA game engine that is capable of movement, viewing and interaction in a game space the size of a planetary system. That’s just too much to do in one go. They also can’t adapt an existing AAA game engine because the systems needed for the scale of a planetary system are too different from the basic assumptions of existing AAA game engines.

In short, they weren’t going to be able to do it either way because the vision of Star Citizen is too grand. Chris Roberts simply bit off more than he could chew. The net result will be a game that achieves part of the vision. The more the vision is consistent with CryEngine, the more the game will fulfill the vision. So character animation is in there because CryEngine already did that. But lots of other stuff will have to wait because it just can’t be built this time around.

1 Like

I remember CR constantly saying that today’s technology will allow him to build Star Citizen, unfortunately it’s not the technology per se but how it’s used. They would have been far better off starting from scratch and while that would have taken a long time, it would have been faster than constantly rewriting the backend and forever trying to make an engine work half decent, which judging from the videos, clearly does not. What’s more they had so much time, money, resources and goodwill, they could have built something at least that didn’t look or felt like it fell out of someone’s truck.

This is why I am here now with Infinity and what they are doing and how they are approaching game making is realistic: they aren’t simply trying to market before production. It will pay off in the end and there will be no looking back. Unfortunately with Star Citizen, they are already looking back, probably because there isn’t much of a future. Unless you are Chris Roberts of course…sure he will do alright, financially.

Interesting side theory.

Maybe CR ran his kickstarter to soon. If ran this year 2016 for delivery in 2020-2021 onwards, then the game tech (software and hardware) would of been more suited to SC’s big vision this year (2016) rather than in 2012… But, then there is the fact SC and ED pretty much restarted the space and scifi game genre we all enjoy today.

Would ED have done this if it had stood alone, only seeing SC this year start its KS. If we only first heard about SC the end of last year and this year 2016> CR ran his initial KS campaign. Would the current resurgence of space games have happened if only ED had been around until this year.

I think so. And I think Battlescape would have garnered much more support. But now after the SC’s dismal track record and NMS’s sub-par release, it’s going to be that much harder to gain supporters. A new space genre game would have to have something new that no other game offers - fortunately Battlescape is that game so I expect even the most jaded players sitting up and taking notice come Alpha.

1 Like

I’m of a different opinion. I’ve always felt that the ED Kickstarter had came as a result of the success of the SC Kickstarter. They started it right afterwards. I think that the initial success of the SC Kickstarter showed the market was ready for new space games, so they went for it.

I’m inclined to agree. The E:D KS seemed very rushed and very “hey me too” - they barely succeeded. That being said they have obviously executed quite well post-KS and I think you can attribute a lot of that to an established team working with in-house technology.

I think CR launched his KS at the perfect time. It’s pretty hard to argue with $120 million raised.

3 Likes