Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

I really like that they have horizontal displacement on their procedural terrain (assuming that overhang we glimpsed was also procedural). It really gives the terrain a lot more character.

2 Likes

Where did you see PG horizontal displacement?
All the rocks around the landing site are non-PG assets.

This can be seen at 8:20 onwards - all those white marks are non-PG assets, and the distinction between the PG terrain and the non-PG rocks is quite clear from overhead at 8:24.
Also when he mouses over them (8:50 onwards) their names show up.

The PG terrain looks very smooth and I can’t see any horizontal displacement.

That’s a shame, I only watched the short video and assumed that all the terrain was procedural.

PG terrain also looks like an ugly primitive noise map and it’s quality really clashes with that landing site they threw on the planet.

The quality difference is rather extreme. The fog is probably there not only to show that they have atmosphere but to hide how bad the terrain of the planet actually is, it’s yet another thing they showed way too soon.

2 Likes

Personally, although the screenshot is interesting and indeed shows (expected) differences between procedural terrain and the assets, I am possitively suprised that they already started dealing with the PG topic and have it pushed that far already (because it overall still doesnt look bad) and integrated it into their engine. And its the first iteration, so completely fine with me that there are still some issues like that.

I’m just super glad these games are trying to tackle PG planets. Improvements will only make it better and more convincing. I wouldn’t have believed anyone a few years ago if they said this would be happening now.

It’s awesome to see it on this game. I now don’t know what is missing in this incredible game. My dream of a big ā€œWing Commander new generationā€ with more content and more possibilities is coming true it’s awesome.

I dont see it to be honest. Besides atmospheric scattering, and that handmade terrain around the base, the PG looks inferior to Elites.

Well let me add the basic strong and weak points of the 3 games star citizen, elite dangerous, battlescape, in comparison to each other.

1.) Star Citizens strong point is ship design, attention to details, freedom. (no game (from the list) can beat them in this area), weak point, unstable game world, increase in dev time.
2.) Elite Dangerous strong point is universe scale and stable development. (no game beats it), weak point too repetitive and emptiness of gameplay.
3.) Infinity Battlescape’s strong point is planet generation and a seamless experience in the game world. (and no one can beat it in this domain) and weak point lack of resources.

so keeping things in perspective, previously star citizen never announced seamless planet landing, now they have included it, this means that given their beautiful art, and more freedom in game play plus a ton of game play mechanics with a ton of funds and an awesome marketing star citizen has now become the ultimate game. Among the list star citizen clearly wins in terms of features. They just have to integrate all their systems and make it stable.

1 Like

As someone who has never tried yet SC… what do you call ā€œfreedomā€ as one of the major aspect in SC? Because ED (previously E:D :smiley:) does seem to me also give a lot of freedom to its players: become a pirate, merchant, bounty hunter… Even some of the ships are modular enough to switch from one specialization to another. It gives you some much freedom (understand here: no constraints) that, as a newbie, you’re litterally lost in the first dozen of hours in play, trying to figure out all this faction gameplay and how mission works and what-nots…

I don’t know about SC, but I’d definitely put tutorials and user guidance as one of the extremely weak points of ED. Searching outside of the game for advanced gameplay techniques is fine (and still I could argue with that). Searching outside the game for basics is very wrong.

As for I:B, we haven’t seen that much yet. It’s not even an alpha… - no, not even an earl dev access and you’re already speaking of weak and strong points.

Phrased like that, every game has tons of ā€œfreedomā€. Go ahead and describe call of duty in the same way, ā€œyou can be a mercenary, breach doors, infiltrate cartels! Pick your weaponry and dispatch hundreds of bad guys in a diverging timeline of our world, the player is the focus!ā€ Sure, your character is doing all these things, but is the player? No, the player isn’t really making the decisions that make doing any of those things remotely interesting. I’ve always considered ED to be really lacking in this area. There are a ton of very basic limits on everything the player does. You cant transfer money to another player, you can’t build anything of your own, you can’t influence markets enough to ever really manipulate them (eve does this), you cant store materials off your ship, theres are a hundred harsh limits on things in ED that completely kill player freedom. Sure, there aren’t tutorials for ā€œhow to be a bounty hunterā€ but thats because there is no depth to bounty hunting go to generic place, kill 20 things, come back, the first time you do it and the last time will always be the same. The combat skill ceiling is so low you can hardly improve your gameplay. Same goes for trading, exploring, and mining. Woops, i just described the entire extent of the game’s gameplay. Everything is shallow as a puddle.

The hope is that SC will be different, so far it seems that it will be the case. You can just jump out of your ship anywhere and go floating over to a station, board someone’s ship, go into your cargo bay and throw a coffee cup at your buddy, steal a noodle machine from a derelict station.

1 Like

I’m not even talking about ā€œhow to become a bounty hunterā€, I’m talking about how to accomplish simple missions. Our friends and me had search on the web to understand that ā€œsalvageable wreckageā€ where the places to search to find these damn ā€œblack boxesā€ and that sometimes you had to search a few of these signals.

Same for pirate hunting: when you don’t yet have an FSD interruptor, your best bet is to go on ā€œweak / unidentified signalsā€.

None of the above is described in any tutorial in-game or in their youtube channel. That’s why I was being a bit sarcastic about ā€œso much given freedomā€.

As for the constraints you describe: yeah, sure there are limits. Then again, I don’t want toxic players / cartel player putting a monopole on some merchandises, so I’m OK with that. Transfering credits is arguably good and not good. I’ve never had a problem in World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2 about items being ā€œaccount-boundā€; since in E:D the credits are the only way to upgrade your gear, I’m also OK with it.
I’d rather try to focus on teamplay with your newer friends rather than have credit transfer.

Anyway, absolute freedom doesn’t exist. It is always guaranteed by laws, either moral or natural. Anarchy for instance is not absolute freedom: the strongest, of the fittest, gets to do what he wants but not the others. A republic with laws restricts their citizens freedom on specific domains so that the same rules apply to everyone, therefore everyone is free.

Same goes for games: absolute freedom is nothing but anarchy. This is why Minecraft communities can be suspicious of new comers and the larger server simply install plugins against grief.

In your example, I fail to see how throwing a cup of coffee gives any gameplay. It’s closer to emotes in WoW in that matter.

It’s literally the definition of freedom. I didn’t watch the video but I assume you can pick it up and hopefully throw it. If it was given a damage model you could literally board and pirate a ship armed with coffee mugs(or defend!). If that’s not freedom of gameplay I don’t know what is because that’s amazing.
"
It’s funny the argument against ED’s shallowness is ā€œuse your imaginationā€ but they have to give me some tools first…tools like a coffee mug or rice maker. I could take over a galaxy with such a tool!

3 Likes

If what you want is a ā€œtoxic and cartel free environmentā€ thats up to you, there are countless games that neuter their gameplay for that. Not neutering gameplay to preserve people’s feelings leads to more interesting and impactful decision making. I for one, enjoy displaying the heads of my carebear enemies atop spikes. In Haz i’d skin my enemies and wear them as a leather jacket, before subjugating their population and refusing to give them any medication as they died en masse from the plague.

The coffee cup thing was just an example of a lack of hardcoded limtations. In ED even if you eject your cargo to someone they get it marked as ā€œstolenā€ because the game doesnt want you trading at all. It contrasts heavily with the freedom to go in and mess with individual cargo pallets and objects and stuff.

LOL, now I’m imagining a SWAT team IRL storming a building with coffee cups in hands, throwing them at the besieged hostage takers, because you know, we have freedom IRL, why not. :smile:

Thanks for the chuckle.

1 Like

Also in haz, glue guns were the most powerful handheld weapon in the game for years. I shouldn’t need to describe how much fun slaughtering enemy empires with a legion of glue gun toting footsoldiers was.

2 Likes

The West American Trading Company is here to give you some freedom…with coffee.

Shores of Hazeron still pisses all over every other multiplayer space game’s chips on the ā€˜absolute freedom’ front. I still view it as an example of the very best and very worst of MMO gaming. Oh, while you’re there Mattk50; is HAXUS still raving mad?

Might want to leave Haz out of the discussion. :slight_smile:

He’s attempting to charge $15 a month for the broken husk of the game that survives, you tell me if he’s raving mad. There’s a reason im not using the full title. Cant help but use it for examples when this topic come up, it was a good experiment.

The only game i’ve ever played where it was recommended practice to kill the tutorial agent, butcher his carcass and use his skin to make a backpack… Shores was odd.

1 Like