Star citizen now has planets and seamless space to planet transitions with atmosphere
1000% fantastic, Starcitizen has shown fairly little but they are starting to show the fruition of the hard work.
Yep, they make great trailers, I will give them that.
I dunno, I feel like the product was extremely unpolished, given what they typically release. The planetary graphics and geometry were decent/good at the station, but rapidly decayed, glossed over by the accelerating camera.
Also, 1,000km planet? Pluto is over twice that size, and the next largest is Mercury at almost five times the diameter. I get it, it’s alpha, it’s a relatively new feature…but it feels very “meh” compared to the rest of their product. I hope it’s just an early-alpha phase, because anybody who forwards the tech is doing great in my opinion.
Eh, you’ve got that backwards. I quite like being able to play the new shinies, even if it’s only for 10 minutes because the game is broken and unfun right now.
On the other hand, most days I don’t want to be QA-ing when I’ve spent the whole day QA-ing.
There are only two games I’ve reported bugs for that I remember, Guild Wars 2 and Insurgency.
Awesome! It’s a great time to be a spacefan and a gamer. 1000 km is a bit small but I understand it’s their first iteration. You have to start somewhere and they are being transparent enough to show their workflow with the public… probably an internal decision based on recent drama. I won’t complain since it’s beautiful regardless.
Heck of alot better compared to their 8km moon in Alpha 2.0 at least. If they can increase it by 10x. Boom, near earth sized planets.
why the look of it reminds me of Battlescape?
Probably because both are planets with atmosphere in space.
was seeing the cockpit, seeing the lighting they seems almost use the same technic as inovae IMO
That’s because both systems of lighting is based on atmospheric scattering equations from real life. This makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If they both calculate their scattering the same way, they should look similar, which should look similar to real life(which it does).
I find it particularly amusing that the pro procedural supporters got SC fanboyed each time we brought up I-Novae and Elite procedural engines on the forums. Of course the reason being procedural wasn’t detailed enough or looked manufactured - now it’s a badge of pride. 
Looks way better than what ED has to offer, but not nearly as good as Battlescapes tech. But maybe with more time they will catch up!
What is noticeable immediately is that the atmospheres day/night break looks weird, and of course the massive terrain popping and the tiny size of the planet.
Heh. Fog. Fog everywhere. I bet living on that planet is not very comfortable. Then again, I hear Britain has fog all the time and they seem fine. Hmmm… Space Britain?
It’s looking nice.
We know the quality of Battlescape’s assets (ships, buildings, etc) will be hugely improved compared to the prototype, so we’ll see how they compare.
Their atmospheric lighting looks decent but the sunset in the Pupil to Planet video doesn’t come close to INEs.
Remember this is all with several entire studios of man power compared to INE’s handful of part-time guys.
To me the planets surface looks too foggy and blurry at the same time. (maybe they try to hide something?) also (same as in E:D) you do notice when details increase (textures jump from low quality to better quality without a transition). I don’t want to rant, I’m looking forward to Star Citizen (because it’s a space sim and there aren’t enough space sims ever).
(PS: I am very impressed though how they managed the planetary transitions with CryEngine. It was a good decision to have former Crytek developers on board.)
Your avatar is so fitting…makes me think of the dog from “Up”.
SQUIRREL!!!
Except for you and many others it’s being blinded by…
ATMOSPHERIC SCATTERING!!! SHINY!!!

The terrain generation in that video is nowhere close to what we can see in ED at the moment. All I’m seeing in the SC video is some form of musgrave/perlin noise evenly distributed across the sphere. No believable terrain at all…there is a reason the atmosphere is laid on so think and we only get to see the planet from the night side when far away…
Having said that…very happy they are doing it even if it’s very early WIP at the moment. Have no doubt we’ll see huge improvements going forward.
SC had a $50m or so stretch goal for a “procedural generation R&D team” just to show how uncertain they were about accomplishing it.
I really didnt expect to see this type of video until post SC release. Here is the full segment of their livestream that included both the other vids, a third attempt, and some discussion by CR.