Ready to Pledge

Could we keep this on topic about pledging for battlescape instead of debating the merits of bitcoin? If you guy’s are so inclined to discuss it I’m sure you could start a thread about it :smile:

On the topic of donations, I think once the kickstarter has passed(hopefully successfully) Inovae should open up a donations page that would allow the donators to receive some of the tiers that kickstarter pledges would get you, but at a slightly increased price for missing the kickstarter itself. It would give incentive and rewards to those who pledge during the kickstarter and also a way for Inovae to continue to receive revenue until launch.

2 Likes

That’s the plan. All of the pledge tiers will remain available via our website but at increased price points.

6 Likes

The first time I heard about this and looked down to find I was naked I realised that this is love, that this is life. From then onward my body has been ready.

Also money WILL be made available for this, even if you decide to release a lolcats montage as the KS video.

5 Likes

I think your join date on the forums (provided your account got correctly migrated, natch) will indicate just how dedicated you’ve been to the project, no?

1 Like

Is there still anyway of having a system those of us, currently watching the project and have been for several years weekly? Surely we should get some bonus’s? We’ve been your moral support ;D

1 Like

Not really, like INovaeKeith’s account, he joined back in 2013, but obviously he’s been on for a lot longer than that and so forth.

Just an example, but thought that maybe from this point onwards we should have something? Only reason I’m asking is that the first 2500 backers of Star Citizen got special perks, and there are 500,000 backers to Star Citizen (I’m in the top 5,000) and possibly Infinity Battlescape would be similar.

1 Like

Frankly, if it’s just about raking in the dosh, then by all means copy Star Citizen.
If it’s about respecting the gaming community and the people who pledge their support for you, stay the hell away from it.

I’m sure the game will be great and everything, and it bloody better with the money I’ve given them, but turning it into a cash cow before there’s even a game to play is not the way to treat your fans.

In respects to Infinity, bear in mind that Discourse (the forums) is beta software, and probably has little in the way of support for “premium” users or long-term supporters just yet. I’d be happy to take a special forum badge or something to show I’ve been a long-time supporter, but only when it’s easy for the forum software to support, and only when the KS is done and dusted, because at the moment getting that KS ready and getting out there should be Priority 0 for INS…

Many of our registration dates are easily misconceived so I cannot support that idea. Besides, anybody who has followed the Infinity forums over the last 4 to 5 years would likely recognize who other people were simply by recalling their name. If not than you could bet those players are either new to Infinity or they’re meeting somebody that had trouble transferring an old account into Disclosure. A lasting badge under our forum name would not correspond well in-game.

This pretty much. My original account was made back in 2008 and was imported into discourse, but I cannot post with it at all so I had to make a new one so it’s basically broken. Additionally, I was always a lurker but I read almost all the threads on that forum. It was my relaxing reading :smile: I don’t mind or care if we get some sort of badge to show our support. The best indication of our support is that the kickstarter succeeds and we get to play a part of the game we’ve been dreaming about for many many years. There is no better reward than that to me. So if you want to give people medals that say “I donated” or whatever by all means go for it. I would personally prefer just playing the game so I can be that ace I’ve dreamed of being since I was much younger :sunglasses:

4 Likes

But what of us who decided to create a new account with a new name? Oh the horror!
Oh wait, I kept the same avatar anyway. Then you people better remember me by my avatar, or I warn you, I will be sad.

That said, I have savings that are (partially) kept away especially to pledge, so I guess I’ve been ready to pledge for a year.

Btw, why are people hating PayPal? Is it because of their tendency to apparently block without reason small indie studios? Or are there problems with the service for payers as well? Are there other reasons?

…and I quote myself.

Yes @Bozo, I remember you by your avatar but it does not matter. Our profile photo and/or name doesn’t define who we are and those shouldn’t totally determine how we interact with each other now. I think we all should focus on the present and leave the past forum in the past. To be able to say “I’ve been a forum member for a decade” is merely bragging about something that isn’t tangible.

4 Likes

Yeah, this was an (apparently poor, sorry about that) attempt at humour, and I keep forgetting that tone doesn’t translate well here.

How online (and phone and mailorder) purchases work in Denmark (and afaik all of the EU): Until 14 days after I receive a product I’ve paid for I’m legally entitled to say “on second thought, I actually don’t want this”, and the company that sold it to me is obligated to not only give me my money back but (iirc) pay any shipping costs on returning it to them.

If they do not, I can call my bank and tell them “cancel that credit card transaction”. It does not matter where in the world the seller is located, if you want to sell to the EU you have to follow EU law (or just not get paid).

Since Paypal would really rather not have people cancelling credit card transactions to them, they instead offer an online equivalent of cancelled credit card transactions in which a payment is rolled back. If the buyer does not promptly return the product they purchased (and potentially an invoice for shipping costs, though again I’m not certain about this bit) they will then be guilty of theft/piracy/whatever and you can sue them/report them to the police on that basis… but obviously there’d have to be quite a lot of money involved for that to be worth doing if you’re on different continents.

Bitcoins provide a great alternative to Paypal by blatantly ignoring several national and international laws “because it’s technology or whatever”. Not the best choice for a serious business, perhaps, as the cost of making it all nice and legal it will probably be significantly greater than Paypal’s service fees and losses due to cancelled transactions (plus, ye know, Kickstarters don’t fail just because a portion of the people that pledged change their mind about paying; the company will still receive the money from the people that do pay).

From what I understood is, that paypal first tries to let you and the seller duke it out between yourself (provided that you went through the procedure they listed), if you don’t get it done after 20 days, you can tell paypal to do it for you, send an uncertain amount of documents regarding the aspects of that transaction to paypal in luxembourg and they will do stuff… However the 14 day period seems to still apply, if you’re properly told about your rights (if not, the period is considerably longer), provided you’re not buying from a person but a company. Then again I have no frigging idea, because I never had to return a transaction I made through paypal… I did have problems … twice I think, and it was nothing a 15 minute search on google, and a nice and polite call to the customer support couldn’t fix (which probably is the hardest part for some people. To stay nice and polite, even if you feel like having a heart attack / feeling like you have to curse at someone).

So yeah, I really hope to be able to pledge via paypal (even if it is post-campaign at a higher price point), because I for one can not see any charm in using debit cards, and I keep wondering why people keep using these… But yeah, if it seems that the campaign is going too slow, I might have to get a credit card just to pledge to them (and then never use the credit card again … blimey).

Well… at least you’ve got a rough idea on how to do what you want. Funny seeing a thread a year old get necroed though.

Funny thing is, I used the forum search on the term paypal, to prevent posting yet another thread about paypal as payment option. Unfortunately I did seemingly mistake the day with the year, so I thought I was just posting in a thread that had been dead for just over a month long … whoops…

The reason, why I wanted to write about it, was that Shenmue III ended it’s kickstarter campaign and apparently announced that they would continue to gather pledges via Paypal to get the 10M after all. So yeah… I guess it was somewhat topical? With pledging and Paypal and stuff?

It’s all right. I don’t see a problem with necros anyway if they have something to add to the discussion or bring new info to the thread.

Also, there are a lot of places on the Internet that don’t accept paypal, and kredit/debit cards are in my opinion still a good solution for payment, especially when the transaction is going over the borders, like for me that’s probably 99.9%.

Well I guess I was just very lucky so far to always end up in a place that accepts paypal, no matter if it was a site in the EU or actually in the US. ^^’

To be fair, I made that exact same mistake after reading your post. This does explain why I only had a vague memory of writing something in this thread.

2 Likes

Personally, I avoid using my debit card details wherever possible. I try to only give them to companies I can expect to keep those details relatively secure. As such, PayPal makes for a useful intermediary.

1 Like