Patch 0.2+ - Feedback thread

It’s not the rotation I have issues with, it’s how long the interceptor takes to change direction. Even at the lowest speeds reasonably possible (100 m/s) changes in direction take quite a while. I feel like this is out of character for the interceptor and that its thrusters could do with a small boost.

In combat I’m having to almost constantly use the Turboboost to achieve the manoeuvring I want, which of course leaves precious little energy for shooting!

2 Likes

Increasing acceleration much more than that is quite problematic with the sense of scale / speed / ability to hit, though. It’s already very fast ( 4g’s back/front, 3.1g’s sides without boost ) and sometimes in combat vs the AIs or other players, it takes quite a bit of skills to land enough hits before the shields regenerate.

A small boost might be doable, but I hope we’re not talking about doubling its specs here :slight_smile:

Also, just an observation: imagine that the specs were doubled. You could indeed slow down faster… except that you’d probably reach higher speeds / momentum in the first place ! Therefore I very much doubt that it’d “feel” different. No matter what, you’ll always want faster changes in direction, and you can only achieve this by boosting acceleration, which also means more momentum to absorb, which means even more changes in direction are needed… if you see what I mean… :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I’m thinking of doing is reworking a bit the overcharging, so that you’d want to use “overcharge weapons” in combat, instead of the default “off”. I’m finding that currently, overcharge shields is pretty useful between 2 combats, and overcharge propulsion is useful outside of combat to catch up to a target. Overcharge weapons however is pretty much useless, because if you use it, you end up consuming all your energy faster, leaving you quickly without weapons neither boost against an enemy. Which defeats the purpose of using overcharge weapons in the first place :slight_smile:

Ideas are welcome to make overcharge weapons more useful; I’m thiking it could slightly increase fire rate AND decrease energy consumption, but it needs to have a drawback, which would be lower (/ no?) shields recharging and maybe a slight decrease in main propulsion.

Just tested my Hybrid setup I tried in the last build and the interference bug is still there. Alright, no big priority there.

But I noticed that camera controls now use the ship controls.
Please separate those in the xml file if possible.
Because currently there is no way to use a joystick and look around at the same time.

The old model with separate head look controls worked quite well. Would also stop the bug where the ship moves with the camera.

In the last version I put a weight on the “Head” key while flying and used the mouse to enjoy the view … can’t do that anymore. :cry:

Guess the were some complications that asked for that switch.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Playbenni

I had created a modifed xml for my controller.
The right stick on my controller was not working.
Using direct mode sorted that.

I am going to try and get my Hotas working as I use that in other games as you get used to it.

1 Like

Overcharge weapons is handy but only if you guarantee to yourself that you’ll hit all your shots, as you gain the chance to kill someone much quicker. High risk, high reward. Way more handy in corvette vs corvette and bigger ships in general where you can easily guarantee hits too, but it is odd.

A good alternative might be to make the hits do more damage per energy, but then it becomes a question of what the disadvantages would be if its just better energy efficiency.

Also I think engine overcharge is super useful in combat, but only for a little bit! Its weird how it clashes with boost though, it just feels like a more effecient version of the same thing.

Funny, I use a combination of overcharge weapons/engines in combat.

I fire everything asap with weapons overcharged, then switch to engines to avoid enemy fire while recharging to fire another volley.

2 Likes

I brought that up a long time ago, shortly after dev release. Sometimes it works but almost always I have to scroll very slowly or else the scrolling of the wheel doesn’t reflect in the game.

1 Like

I have the same problem - it’ll get sorted out eventually.

3 Likes

Ok here are my thoughts on the 0.2.0/0.2.1 Warp.

Generally the introduction of separate velocities for in and out of warp have changed much to how I myself use it.
The other big change is the much decreased influence of gravity wells and much higher top speed.

I really like the addition of manual “boost/deceleration” like when in normal flight with flight assist on.
I also like how it works with the added damage from atmosphere. Especially in combination with “manual boost”, it really allows you to escape a planet really fast. Although I would like for a way to disable emergency shutoff and/or an indicator for when it shuts off, because with certain setups I’m sure people will be able to push the ships well above double the airspeed. Shield Overcharging and such.

What I really don’t like is how the changes to the gravity influence have changed general feel of flying around the Planetary System. Speed isn’t the limiting factor anymore but how the player, and their computer, can handle that speed.
Due to never going full speed (due to it just being too fast to controll) the direct route is always the fastest. I felt that was really boring.Especially on planetary approaches. Before it was somewhat of a challenge, now it’s just point and fly straight down. No optimal angle or curve or aproach.
Where in the previous version I could learn how to curve every planetary body right in order to increase the max speed here it’s being on the edge of the throttle and pushing your reflexes. I feel that’s much less interesting, there’s also much less time for watching the scenery because the speed has to be checked more often.

And yes, even though I don’t have as much experience with this setup yet I think I have identified how the bottleneck has moved from traversing the game world efficiently to micromanaging the warp drive settings.
It’s ok for there to some of both but it leans much too heavy on later at the moment.
Adding gravity influence to ships, stations and land bases would further help create more dynamic environment to navigate.
Maybe something crazy like space weather that can boost/hinder the warp drive could add even more depth.

Concerning the separation of velocities … that’s debatable and has more to do with how warp is supposed to be … “allowed” and “blocked”.
I know “ships appearing out of nowhere” looks cool but from what I played with it isn’t really satisfying pressing that button at the right moment to make that happen. Even if the game would handle it well, it does not at some locations with much going on, it still reminds me too much of Elite and how fake that transition is.
I would prefer a more mundane, smoothed out acceleration and deceleration.
The travel systems will dictate if the whole System feels like one thing or a bunch of locations.

The way warp and warp limitations work right now have quite weird implications.
It’s kind of hard to think of any way to balance it as it affects just everything.


I find it a little a shame that the triad of movement systems have been selected, it really works against the notion of one game world and introduce seams where none would be needed …

4 Likes

I had the opposite experience, to me thats one of the most fun things about the current warp, hitting the warp-key at the perfect moment to arrive just were you want.

On that note: I like the warp travel to be very different from regular space travel, in my imagination the laws of physics don’t apply the same way when traveling in warp which is why I would really like to try a warp implementation with instant speed changes, fixed speed levels and instant changes in direction (no momentum). I think warping should be powerful and equally dangerous. I don’t see the appeal in having the warp behave as a sluggish assisted travelmode.

2 Likes

I can see the appeal of that side … but

What dangers? What is the challenge of that system? This is what I’m missing at the moment, a challenge. Previous system was mutch more dangerous.
What challanges would a system with the upsides you statet have that would be worth mastering?

Other than hitting the button too late and smashing into planets/ships/stations other challenging factors could be introduced. You mentioned space weather for example. Another thing that comes to mind is a strong visual effect that makes perceiving the non-warp-reality harder:

With fixed warp speed levels comes another possible balancing/gameplay factor into play.

You could limit the max-warp-level of non-capships to make longer distance travel very hard/unappealing.
This could make the carrier more appealing and it would increase its tactical worth.

Currently:
Interceptor and Carrier can travel to another moon in roughly the same time. Why deploy a fragile carrier to spawn ships when travel time for small ships is negligible?

With fixed warp levels:
Interceptor (max warp 3) cannot travel to another moon in a timeframe that is tacticly worth it but the carrier can (max warp 6).

3 Likes

I’m still reading all the feedback so don’t stop :slight_smile:

Concerning warp, it’s easily the most rushed system of the new patch. I’ve had a bit of time to rework the other ones ( another exception would be the atmospheric flight model: I did a bit of work on drag but none on lift, that will come back soon ). But the warp was basically reimplemented in a day and is in a rough spot. It needs better balancing especially in relation to the planet speed limits.

The current warp system has two main factors to balance. The first one is the warp coefficient, which acts as a multiplied factor ( in the order of thousands ) to the normal acceleration. An infinite warp value would be equivalent to sudden instant velocity changes to whatever you want. I’m kind of opposed to setting the velocity directly ( physics engines don’t usually like that ), but increasing the warp coefficient even higher is certainly doable.

The current warp coefficient is actually a function of the speed. This essentially acts like a differencial equation, for those of you with a maths background :slight_smile: There’s a feedback effect, since the warp coefficient is a function of speed, then this coefficient is applied to acceleration, which itself gets applied to change the velocity. That’s why the warp coefficient is smaller when you go slowly, but increases to very high values when you go faster, kind of “warming up”. That’s the intended effect, which I quite like.

The other factor to take into account for the warp system, is the warp speed limit. I want to state that this speed isn’t really part of the warp drive, but intended to be a part of the “flight-assist” system, and is supposed to guarantee a safe trip. Without it, you’d pass close to a planet around light speed without slowing down, making it extremely hard to navigate through the system, requiring constant manual adjustements; I know, I tried before, before it, and it was just painful :slight_smile: Howerver, this system isn’t yet correctly adjusted and sometimes will make you come too fast on a collision course with the planet. There’s a secondary safety layer coming into consideration; whenever you come too close to the max air speed ( currently set at x2 that speed ), the warp drive disengages automatically. Without it, the effec is that you instantly burn into the atmosphere and die. It looked extremely brutal and un-natural, to be honnest, which is why I introduced this “disengage warp” mechanism.

If you want to see what it looks like without that safety mechanism, go to the asteroid. No atmosphere = no max air speed = this safety mechanism never comes into play.

Finally, the last parameter is the entry speed, which is getting conserved and used as the exit speed. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea, because in the last build, people were usually exiting at 3-4 Km/sec and kept overshooting their targets, wasting minutes to come back. This is supposed to address this issue. However, for testing I’ve set this entry speed to a really low value ( 100 m/s IIRC ), simply for the goal of being able to fly quickly to another part of the system. I’ve never intended to keep it to such a low value forever; in fact I’m thinking of increasing it a a new threshold, that might be dynamic, maybe depending on gravity. It could be as low as 500 m/s in deep space, but maybe 1-2 Km/sec close to a planet. Not sure yet.

7 Likes

I really love the idea of fixed warp speeds and the ability to drop out of warp and slow down instantly because it feels so cool and really cuts down on travel time and difficulty.
The different warp levels could be switched through instantly with the number keys or in steps with mouse wheel/speed setting increase-decrease .
There was also the need to have ftl travel and as far as I remember it was thought to make this a different travel system. With warp levels this would not be needed maybe. Another cool possibility are the effects for the warp drive. To make warping look more distinct there could be a visual distortion effect applied when warping that increases with the warp level. Once the warp reaches ftl this effect could really kick in and make observing the outside world really difficult to the point were we had to rely on the hud to really know were we are going.
The fact alone that fixed warp speeds make reaching the target at almost the same time probably more easy for fleets is a dealmaker for me. When in fleet formation the warp command could also be given by the fleet leader, so that they all start at the same time, maybe it would even be worth exploring if giving full maneuverability control to the fleet leader during fleet jumps would be cool. What I mean by that is that once the fleet goes into fleet formation mode the fleet leader takes over the steering wheel and starts the warp and steers the whole fleet as one giant blob to its destination and drops them out. This role could be exclusive to the carrier.

2 Likes

You’d better do that really fast before those NPCs evolve, spread over the internet and turn into Skynet! :wink:

4 Likes

I really like it too, but I agree with @INovaeFlavien that the minimum speed to engage warp should be increased. Right now it is too easy to get out of a bad situation very quickly. That would mean de-correlate the entry and exit speed. Not great for consistency IMO.

I want light to be blue-shifted in the direction of travel and red-shifted in the opposite direction!

3 Likes

True, but maybe another way could be found to make warp bad to get out of a dangerous situation:

  • To be able to warp a ship has to have low speed (a sitting duck), less than or equal to 500m/s for example.
  • Powering up warp takes longer and is immediatly detectable
  • Shields are down when warp is powering up (because warp is consuming all the energy)
2 Likes

My initial feedback on the new patch:

  • Super work adding in the bots, it’s great to be able to practice when there are no other players online.
  • Bots AI is good, perhaps a little too good right now. I like how the AI interceptors will try to gang up on you.
  • Corvettes seem to be a bit easy to kill right now, I guess when their turrets work this will be mitigated.
  • Interceptor generally feels a bit sluggish.
  • I preferred the old warp system, hopefully this will eventually feel more seamless than it does right now.
  • Aiming is a lot easier using the direct flight control system, using indirect control it’s easy to forget to aim at the central reticule instead of the floating one. Optional gimball mounted weapons that aim at the floating reticule could work quite well.
  • It seems a bit easy to lose lock on a target, would be nice to have a bit more distance before they go out of range and lose lock.
  • Locking target under reticule seems to be a bit off target with ships just to the side often being targeted instead of the one you’re trying to aim at. Can take a few presses before you can get the right target.
  • When there are many ships around it can be hard to find the ship locked when using “target closest”.
  • I wonder about the default mapping of the W and S keys. I always change mine to ship up/down.
  • Prefer W/S mapped to Forward/Reverse.
  • Prefer W/S mapped to Up/Down.

0 voters

  • Finally, the combat chatter sound sample for “Negative” sounds a bit like Flavien saying the N word. Might be worth replacing that before any videos with it in go viral.
2 Likes

I am mitigated on this one. Often in the heat of combat I want to strafe up/down but I end up forwards/back, but when I use it correctly it is quite handy. I don’t know which compromise is best.