This still works, but only in direct control mode (press f4).
Cool, thanks Playbenni. 
Does it work for controllers too!?
If, like me, you didn’t realise you can drop out of warp manually (clunky with the wheel though), reducing your speed from tens of km/s to a few hundreds of m/s, you will have a much better time hitting the mark if you do.
Yes controllers still work in direct control mode!
The gamepad presets are a bit outdated though.
I have made a nice profile for the xbox controller, the only thing not working right now is the ability to select the options in the radial menus with the sticks, but I am sure this will be fixed eventually when the stick support is revisted.
I can post it later if anyone is interested.
I am interested! Please do share it!
Actually I tried F4 Direct and 0 response on stick. 
Will do in about 7 hours when I am home.
Do buttons on the stick work? You can try to use the input detection tool in the dev/profiles folder. If this tool recognizes your sticks input the game will too.
What mappings did you set in your profile?
Have a Thrustmaster T16000 M. Tried all four settings.
Don’t know how to use the input detection tool. 
You have selected the right Controller on the game start screen. Right?
Right click, open as administrator.
Select your input in one of the drop down menus.
Xinput or another, depending on your stick, it should show up there.
Press the test button, press stick or move axis.
The tool will then show the detected input in its correct name.
You must also choose the right input setting under the profile setting in the game launcher.
You need to create an XML file in the Documents/I-Novae Studios/Battlescape/Profiles directory (or something like that) which maps the controller axis to analog input events.
Have a look here: Hotas/Joystick controls feedback thread
Ran as administrator and selected T16000 M but nothing happening
Thank hrobertson but XML PML it’s all the same to me. Too many bad experience going into files. lol.
I just discovered a problem spawning as cruiser/carrier at Euraxia station (the one above the gas giant). Not sure exactly what was causing it (I suspect geometry collision on spawning).
As soon as I spawned as either of those ships, I started spinning and died immediately. After a few tries, it allowed me to spawn at one of the points on the station only. The others spawn points kill your capital ship!
I have found the energy management quite effective on capitals (though I regret the lack of boost, but I think I noticed it only because turrets are fixed ATM), the difference between boost to shields, engines or weapons is quite noticeable and satisfying.
I didn’t really test it on lighter ships because I was content with weapons boost and strafe-dodging shots.
Ok first flight with default mapping:
“Target” Control modes max rotational speed is muuuuch too low. Remove max rotational speed altogether or increase it. Max acceleration is alright but max speed isn’t in my opinion. If a ship does 10 rotations a second apply damage to it if you don’t want people to do it.
Scroll wheel to controll target speed is bugged. Looks like it does not register all the triggers of the wheel. Also I find it quite unusable with its current “steps” on the target speed range. I prefer the mouse wheel over multiple buttons.
Visuals and sounds. I agree with all the praise.
We shouldn’t hear enemy shoutouts though … would really cut down on the clutter.
I like the added/increased movement of the camera in cockpit.
I don’t so much like the art direction of the “hit” bloodyscreen. I like that it’s in the periphery but something more hud/tech like would be more fitting in my oppinion.
Need to play more with warp to judge it. I would like a way to disable emergency cutoff or at least an indicator for when it happens. Is it when shields drop? Will check later.
I think the interceptor is plenty manoeuvrable. The “Target” control mode is just too slow for it. With the other mode I was able to rotate extremely fast, acquire and switch targets easily.
Mind you I play with very high mouse sensitivity, in most games, I just like it. Used 4500dpi on this flight.
Increasing the turn speed is doable, but it also increases momentum, which start to make the movements look “laggy”. Because if you’re already turning fast to the right, it takes a second or two to absorb that movement to turn in the other direction.
The idea however is that turn rate is part of the flight auto assist, it doesn’t change your ship’s physical abilities / maneuverability, so I actually planned to make that a user option in the menus ( which we don’t have ). So we’re talking about the defaults for new players here 
Enemy shoutouts is placeholder while server population is low. It was supposed to make it easier for a player to let everybody know where he is exactly, if you want to organize some combat with enemy players as testing for example.
Blood effect is placeholder. Sounds are placeholder. UI in general is placeholder.
I agree scroll wheel sometimes look a bit off. I’m not sure where it’s coming from, because I’m pretty sure it’s correctly intercepting all events from Windows. I still haven’t figure out why it’s happening.
Emergency cutoff for warp atm is set to twice the max air speed ( yellow bar ). However the speed meter isn’t linear so I agree something is needed. I’m just afraid it’s going to lead to a very high number of hard-to-see bars on that meter
Maybe I need to add more information not on the bar, but next to it instead.