Patch 0.2+ - Feedback thread

Getting many crashes, generally near-instant with anything but the interceptor.

Nitpicking:

• Spawning inside the station, behind the hangar wall and cannot get out
  • Warp is a bit awkward to use: no dedicated warp button, keeping initial velocity when dropping out of the warp is weird
    (sudden jump from ~0 to 2km/s…), adding inertia to warp can make reaching a target awkward
  • Interceptors could still be a bit more agile
  • The asteroid looks a bit meh
  • For some reason, direct control is sluggish as hell and practically unusable to me
  • F4 for switching between target and direct control is a bit too far
  • A button to switch auto-assist would be nice
  • An alternate key to zoom than mmb would be nice, it is always the first thing to degrade on any mouse I’ve had
  • (Button-related problems aren’t critical, as they can be changed anyway)

But otherwise, this is a very nice update. Stations look better, the new ice planet is a great addition, the gas giant has a better colour palette, and I wish I could try the capital ships!

I found this to begin with. If you increase the Mouse Sensitivity slider on the launcher to maximum, it makes it better. However, then the other control method becomes super-sensitive. So pick one!

For anyone wanting to put flight assist on spacebar instead of reverse

Goto:
C:\Users<username>\Documents\I-Novae Studios\Infinity Battlescape\Profiles
(where <username> is your folder username)

edit the appropriate xml file (ex: Qwerty.xml)

replace

<Input Event = "ToggleReverseFlight" Keys = "Space" />

with
<Input Event = "ToggleAutoAssist" Keys = "Space" />

3 Likes

Best to make a copy as the original file is liable to be overwritten by updates.

Some UI feedback (nothing new though):

• I have little situational awareness ingame, it is difficult to understand a target’s relative velocity (beyond the approaching speed, which is not very graphical).

• The selected target doesn’t stand out when off-screen, is there an arrow to point at it somewhere?

• Also, I agree with Sab1e, the mouse control icon is a bit confusing.

• We need a hierarchical overview of the system, with planets, their moons, their stations and bases, and the ships located there (that we know of). Currently we just aim blindly at a bunch of icons cobbled together…

• It is also difficult to know where something is in relation to something else (is the station on this side of the moon? On another one?). We can compare distances but it is not intuitive enough.

• Chat messages fade off quickly, while orders remains. Is it intended? Also, do NPCs respond to orders?

Also, firing on enemy cruisers is considered friendly fire, and ship selection doesn’t work (I always get an interceptor).
I am already missing ground bases :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Misc gameplay feedback other people havent mentioned yet:
gun convergence might be nice (depending on the range of what you have targetted) for non-turret interceptor vs interceptor fights. if not, it’s fine to just shoot with one gun at a time.

Warp Seems odd, it can either drop you out slower than you were in warp or faster. Drop out of warp too close to something and warp can propel you forward into that thing unexpectedly.

Netcode:
Sane and i did some testing, we found some pretty odd results with hit detection/hitboxes at speeds over 2km/s, they seem to be over a wide area and have gaps. the desync gets pretty significant at higher absolute speeds too, though i guess that can be expected. The best way to explain the issues we were having is for me to post the video i recorded of the issues:

9 Likes

My first ever cap ship kill in 0.2.0.0. This took at least 10 mins of constant circle strafing :stuck_out_tongue:

https://gfycat.com/FarDetailedGrasshopper Edit: direct link

7 Likes

Was that a mosquito we see, trying to shoot you but not getting the mark ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah the AI don’t really handle strafing targets very well :stuck_out_tongue: He barely landed a single shot on me the entire time.

Another one from the end of the night. Cue Flight of the Valkyries.

https://gfycat.com/JointObeseDuckling

2 Likes

How did you get your hands on a carrier (or to change ship at all)?

Hold down the Escape key to buy other ships and respawn :slight_smile:

1 Like

We promise it really doesn’t just exit the game this time :smiley:

5 Likes

I didn’t notice that option in the menu, but I didn’t use it much because I mostly exited the game with CTDs…

I love what you’ve done with the place, it’s beginning to look like what was promised.

I just wish I wouldn’t have to restart the game every five to ten minutes. :wink:

2 Likes

All I want to do is fly a cruiser to the surface but I can barely clear the port before crashing.

Patch incoming today that should address the crashes ( and improve the AI battles ! ).

13 Likes

Does this patch do away with the npcs writing into the chat window? That would be nice if their voice commands would not be shown in the chat window.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s also fixed.

7 Likes

Cinder looking very nice!

5 Likes

Tiny idea for the polish period> (first major DLC)

Space station work crews, work craft, robotic craft working outside the station on the structure, struts etc. Come out when the stations take damage to repair parts. And can in turn also be targeted. Firing on little EVA suited workers and their little repair drones - interesting dynamic animations of them taking damage and being blown away from the station. A station with no damage might have one or two crews outside, but in battle in game there could be lots (a few more at least spread around the structure) of work crews outside doing their best to repair damage. Like we see on the TV show Babylon 5.

In time, could also have sort of the same for land base outposts. And around any gas mining stations around the gas giant.

3 Likes