I thought it was a “Hey, we’re the old timers” list and that was it. I’m not sure how this is a problem of hubris. If there’s a secret handshake involved, I’m history.
its the way you put it, that only the “special” or those that have contributed some cash, they cant be have contributed to the game.
this is just their way of saying “thanks you for being with us for so many years, and contributed what you can”
This statement is a heck of a follow-up sentence. Furthermore, if you would have went against me then I wouldn’t know where to turn. You’ve always been an exceptional listener! It’s like when others try to prove you’re wrong about a subject. A hundred people can tell you how wrong you are but then it only takes that single bright person to make you feel better.
I hear what you are saying and I pretty much understand. Then again, money is what you’ll need in the end to at least boot up the game on a computer. That isn’t a theory of mine, it actually happens to be a fact.
Your right that it’s not really about the community, and it won’t help i-novae it being the dumb circlejerk that it is, i guess it’s not really hurting anything is it, though? all the threads dont need to be productive. I get where your coming from though and this does ride quite a fine line.
Stop.
The usefulness of this all stands on the members’ intentions. I see this as a good opportunity to create a community that is active. If the individual members don’t act like they are all special and important, I see no problems here. As silly a thing this is, it’s still great motivation for myself to do fan art and care about the project. 
Oh I’m special and important, but not because of this. 
I’m pretty sure it’s just an in-game organization? I think the old guard was pretty cool, so I’d want to hang out with them in-game. No special privileges or anything.
I would agree in part with @Ovrki1 and @hrobertson. Yes, there can easily an air of pride by being associated with “The First Prestigious and Honorable Guild of One Hundred Gentlemen”. Granted, this might most readily be a means of granting individuals an idea of self-importance. However, as seen by the actions and attitudes of the individuals who have so far joined this guild, I can say with confidence that most of them have acted with courtesy and humility (or at least tired to), and have done so in the past. For this reason, @Ovrki1, your statement in side note 2 calling for the members of this guild or LucasFin individually to “grow up” was unwarranted.
Now, there are a number of points I wish to raise.
First is what I believe the purpose of this guild is. Infinity, a project as you all know started 2008-2009, has been in the works for a very long time. During that time, fans have contributed in any way they can: modeling, fan-fiction, art, debates, discussions, suggestions, guilds, alliances, treaties, letting others know about the project, or even simply letting the devs know that they love what they are doing. We may never know exactly how much or how little any form of a contribution’s effect has had on the project. However, the argument I would put forth is that even though the number of people who even knew of this project were few, those few did persevere. This guild, under the best of intents, is to honor those who persevered by simply thanking them for doing so. After all, we are all fellow gamers, a community of fellow stary-eyed dreamers waiting with baited breath for quite possible the best game on the planet (if you’re not then why are you here?). There is absolutely no reason why those who have stuck with this project and have built up friendships (or lurked) over the past 6-7 years via this humble forum can’t get together and start a guild whose sole purpose is to thank all community members for helping making this project a reality, even if it’s only adding one to the hit counter of a blog update. I’m certain that this project would have never gotten this far if nobody had a passion for it outside of the tiny dev team.
The second and probably final point concerns itself with the extreme opposite of the best intentions of this guild. Suppose this does become a means for the members of this guild to become obstinate arrogant presumptuous pricks. They go around, spouting off their own opinion on something, ending with the statement that more or less declares their legitimacy because they were part of the First Hundred guild (see badge in avatar). This scenario is an exaggeration, of course, but I believe quite accurately describes the situation you foresee, should this guild be a self-important old blokes. This point is rhetorical, and it is found in the form of a question, namely, “Who cares?”. Is it really so important that other take notice? A true test of an individual comes from pressure or power, perceived or realized. A badge or lack of one on someone’s avatar isn’t going to change an individual, only reveal what was already there. There isn’t going to be anything in game, either. No ships, no special skins, probably not even the badge. So I ask you, if this guild’s existence bothers you, why? Why does it make you lose sleep at night, knowing that there is a group of self-important individuals giving themselves a pat on their backs somewhere on the internet?
A third point: I believe hrobertson made a very good point in stating that INS should thank us, and it is not for us to thank ourselves. Although I touched on this before in my first point, I will re-iterate it: Although none of the models etc have made it into the game, we have no idea exactly how much it inspired the devs. They may even re-visit old concepts. Who wants to bet there will be a Flamberge battlecruiser down the line. Furthermore, I believe that, although you may put me at a loss for requiring an exact quote, they already have enjoyed and were inspired by the concepts. To simply dismiss the entire contribution program as a waste of time is jumping to a conclusion I believe is incorrect to make. However, back on topic, I agree to a point, and say that, if only for the purpose of legitimizing this “Thank you”, this guild should have been started by a dev. However, I doubt they have the time to make it any different that what this is. Furthermore, as stated above, there is no real reason why it can’t be done by a humble fan, as long as the correct intentions are in place, as I believe they are. To alleviate this, I would ask @LucasFin to, although the ‘First Hundred’ does have a ring to it, to open the gates to all community members until the KS in order to dispel any notions, at least for the moment, of any privileged clubhouse associations.
TLDR: If you see this as a club for self important individuals, simply stated, you’re wrong (I hope). If you don’t want to join, that’s fine, nobody is asking you to.
That’s all. 
Wait, new reply…
…This point was alread covered previously, no point in making statements like that.
I’d like to clarify that I do not think anyone in this group has any presumption of self-importance or a lack of humility. Nor do I have any fear that if they did that would be of any consequence.
I guess that is what is on the other side of the line I mentioned…
There’s just something that made me slightly uneasy… Perhaps its the words ‘revered’ and ‘respected’ occurring in the first paragraph of the thread?
I was out for a new year’s party and there seems to have been quite a lengthy conversation here while I was gone. 
My reasons for creating the guild was to get the old timers together and inspire the community for more interaction since some people had been concerned that there has been too little activity on the forums recently. I created the Art Challenges thread for the same reason.
I also had my reservations when announcing the guild because of certain exclusiveness that was involved by definition of the guild. I planned to even cancel it should all the first comments be negative. But since the guild got such a positive response from most people I figured it might be a good idea after all.
This guild was also meant as a tribute to the die hards. I think it shouldn’t be taken too seriously, but I understand the concerns people have pointed here.
Those words were more meant to describe the the first hundred of the books as part of the background intro than any possible members of the guild. There was also the word “persecuted” but I certainly hope it won’t go to that either 
I can see people’s concern here too. It was just a marketing perk for the guild. Also completely optional for members. Perhaps the idea of a badge should be dropped and just stick to designing a logo in that future art challenge?
This might be a good idea. I was already toying with the idea of 200 to 300 members. I originally assumed that 100 would cover pretty much all the actives of this community who have made the transition from the old forums through the Long Dark Age between the two forums, and that the name First Hundred from the books would be a fitting name for such a group. But it turned out there were not only more past active members than 100 but also many more new active members.
So if it’s ok for the rest of the nominees the guild can be opened for any active community member before the Kickstarter. We will just have to come up with a new name first.
Feel free to suggest those.
I would only keep the requirement of being active (even if just an active lurker). And if it’s ok for everyone I’d like to keep the nomination idea too so that to join you would at least have to be known by someone (a sign of at least some activity in the community).
As a final note for everyone. Don’t take this too seriously
In the end it’s just for fun. Just like any other group or corporation before it.
Could just go with “The Old Guard”
[quote=“mattk50, post:124, topic:575”]
Your right that it’s not really about the community, and it won’t help i-novae it being the dumb circlejerk that it is,
[/quote]Although funny, I didn’t mention either of those thoughts.
[quote=“Arkenbrien, post:128, topic:575”]
your statement in side note 2… was unwarranted./ those few did persevere./ I’m certain that this project would have never gotten this far if nobody had a passion for it outside of the tiny dev team.
[/quote]I didn’t call out anybody. That is a general statement for anyone who wants to take heed./ Persevered threw what, life?/ Bold. Wrong. Fail.
[quote=“Arkenbrien, post:128, topic:575”]
Why does it make you lose sleep at night, knowing that there is a group of self-important individuals giving themselves a pat on their backs somewhere on the internet?
[/quote] You’re thinking way too far into what I said. btw, hrobertson never agreed with anyone or anything. I don’t care if you want to feel important in a fantasy group. I really don’t lmfao
[quote=“LucasFIN, post:130, topic:575”]
As a final note for everyone. Don’t take this too seriously In the end it’s just for fun. Just like any other group or corporation before it.
[/quote] Very true. It’s just too WOW-like for me ; )
The reason I put up that post is that I foresaw the potential place where this thread was going, and I decided to spend a couple hours formulating a response to let this thread die in peace or become a fan thread. I apologize if anything I said seems personally crafted against you, as such was not my intent. I strove to maintain an as objective lines of reasoning as I could.
@Ovrki1 I spent considerable time crafting my words in my post, and everything I have stated either falls into simple logic or sarcasm. If you honestly wish to formulate a rebuttal, please do. However, I’m not here to debate you. But otherwise, this thread should be for members of the guild, not for the disruption you have caused.
Isn’t @Ovrki1 good old George, heading for yet another ban? Don’t take him so seriously @Arkenbrien, he’s looking for trouble.
WTF, overreaction much?
I don’t think @Ovrki1 is being argumentative. @Arkenbrien you rebutted points that Ovrki1 made, he is defensively doing the same (probably with a little sprinkling of misinterpretation).
Everyone please try to read other’s posts objectively.
Regarding the so called disruption that his post has caused: I think he aired a very valid concern and his post resulted in a healthy discussion that I think has left this group in a stronger position than before.
Edit: I just reviewed Ovrki1’s posts from the last 4 months and there is no hint of belligerence or trolling.
It doesnt seem to be george judging by his history and my vague recollection of someone who may have been ovog instead, unless george is not commandeering accounts somehow. i think its best we not go full on bogeyman with the george sightings, its more fun if we wait till it’s absurdly obvious, it’s less fun for him that way.
i wanted to reply to point out the ineffectiveness of IP banning, in any case.
when are we getting a dark forum theme. This hurts my eyes.
Update!
Guild name and rules updated in the OP. 
Excellent! Looking forward to the art challenge!
as much as i’d like to join, i doubt my current machine can run I:B, so i’m in as an honorary member if you want lol
The art challenge is still planned. But only for the logo / “corporate identity” of the guild 