[OG] The Old Guard (133 members - Pre KS nominees are listed in 4th post)

Keep the nominations and all coming. I’m not ignoring anything. Just still waiting for the editing of OP issue to be solved. :slight_smile:

[quote=“scorflane, post:357, topic:575”]I miss the long circular discussion with USNavyFish on the economy thread in the old forums.
[/quote]

Long and circular indeed! Those were good times :smile: I’m leaving the military in just under a year and ‘becoming’ and independent developer (in the sense that I don’t plan to go work for some other studio in the near future). I still think about economic simulation constantly, and look forward to developing something releasable (sellable, ideally!) which centers around a deep and true actor-based simulation.

/Begin tangent
(My personal conclusion from the economy discussion was that to do it right you really need to simulate individual ‘motivations’ to yield the chaotic behaviors that create a market… But this requires that individual actors can innovate and add value to the system beyond just buy/selling goods - even beyond actors determining the value in creating a new trading post in a particular location (which isnt even something current games seem to do, btw) - no, they need to be able to create new products that both compete with existing products and can create entirely new markets. This is my current challenge, and I’m trying to abstract such product-creation mechanics to their most fundamental form. This goes beyond the notion of ‘procedural commodities’ (i.e. random), and requires a ‘physically-based’ rationale.) /end tangent

5 Likes

Also @Sean, if he isn’t here already.

Seeing if he is involves research. That involves scrolling through a long thread.

I hope you keep us updated Navy, I might have some supporting software that could help you in your project, just ping me once you are set.

Not sure if you remember but I had a project with Crayfish that was basically a different take on the economic prototype that you were running on the old forums, Cray put a lot of work into material research and related things. Since then I have made a new version of the “Item Tree” program that stored the commodity information for the project. Have used that in one or two of my games, one of them is on Steam.

Here are the files, if you are interested.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/WorldTree%20(0.1.7.7).zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/CrayTree.xml

1 Like

I reckon there’s a hole in the market for a Corporate Machine successor. Especially one with decent economic modelling :smile:

That might just be me though.

*Mutters “You’re inspired” and “I’m all over that” to self repeatedly, and curls up in a corner*

1 Like

Does this mean I am nominated?

If so, thank you.
However I am declining, because if I understand correctly there are only so many spots available,
and I’d rather have someone else getting in, who could contribute more to the community.

If supporting the project before the kickstarter means financially, I haven’t.
If it means spreading the existence of this project to fellow gamers, I have.

But still I think there will be someone more deserving than me for this chance.

There used to be a limit, but it was removed because we ended up with more people being nominated. Which is a good thing. :wink:

If you don’t want to join, that’s cool, no pressure. :cookie:

Borkis swipes Ark’s cookie for himself

Arkenbrien gasps in horror as Borkis swipes the cookie he was trying to give to Sean and devours it with an evil chuckle!

selbie watches as Borkis starts choking on the dry crumbs

tsk tsk.

If there’s no limit, I’m happy to join!

1 Like

NavyFish I have to recommend “Thinking Fast & Slow” if you want to understand Humans rather than rational economic beings. It’s a hard read, but explains why people make some stupid economic decisions. Maybe that could be the key to “realistic” NPC behavior.
Not sure it helps with product innovation but should with the “new trading outpost” (investment risk).
Let me know when you get started, I enjoy bouncing ideas about!!! :grin: (closest I could get to maniacal grin)

1 Like

Neat, thanks scor. I’ll check it out

1 Like

I was thinking I should change my pic to
At least Ark should get it.

2 Likes

So no new members after KS starts huh? Even if said members where active back then on the old board?

I guess old forum members should probably join even after the KS starts (since KS might actually activate some widely known people who have been hibernating). But no new members after KS starts. I assume there will be possibly thousands of new forum members after a (hopefully) succesful KS campaign. Letting everyone join for eternity would kinda defeat the purpose of OG working as a time capsule of the old community before Infinity got big.

2 Likes

Ah good so basically the way it has been until now ^^ (assuming that old member = member from the old prehacked forum) Got a bit confused there.

1 Like

I got it, rest assured. :wink:

1 Like

Im tempted to try to set up a forum for the community as is now to use, but i doubt many people anyone would want to use it even after this forum gets flooded and murderized by the public.

Ugh, I never got used to this format of forum. I used to go by the handle “Deck” for the longest time, then switched to either “Red Syns,” “RedSyns,” or “Red_Syns” before the old forum disappeared, was a member of “Rogue Legion” with a couple of other guys. I’ve just kind of lurked here, never saw any new subjects that were interesting enough to draw me out of the woodwork. Anybody remember me enough to vouch?

5 Likes