You have their positions procedurally seeded based on the same seed the planet uses and the time of day.
Each client will roughly do the same replication.
When one player kills one of them or something, you have them die for the other. Might see them not quite dying where the other player was shooting at, but meh, good enough you know?
You don’t need to track all the animals and their position until there is some interaction. A lot of games actually do something similar to this where you only get replication tracked when something makes a break in the standard replication. It’s a simple concept.
God forbid some people pre-ordered the game based on what they were shown and told and don’t read every single tweet Sean Murray puts out, you know…?
That’s like ordering a car after told of all these features and specs for it. You’re waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer and the dealer sticks a sign in the dirt saying “___ no longer has bluetooth connectivity” that you were told before. You pick it up, and are wondering why it’s missing that feature. You’re supposed to have searched around and seen the sign and it’s your fault you didn’t know things changed? That’s stupid.
No, they should be accountable for what they said. Especially when there is almost NOTHING they showed/said. Go look at the old interview and E3 screenshots and trailers. It’s 100% clear the planets were hand crafted back then and completely fake bullshit. They looked SO much better in every single way and they look complete shit in the actual game.
You didn’t watch the video about the two guys who was on the same planet at the same moment, at the exact same coordinates ? One in full night, the other in full day.
When I say “Just found this. A few hours before the release of No Man’s Sky.”, it is to say that Murray fucked with everybody, waiting the last moment to tell finally that there is no multiplayer (there’s a few video where he says clearly yes), knowing that even with retweets, just a little few of players will see this. He voluntary lied to sell more copies. And as you said, he also lied on the final product.
Well looks like Sean Murray doesnt stick with his words on free DLC either any longer…
When asked whether the game’s updates will always be free he added,
“Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it”. He also added
that he was “perhaps naive” in suggesting all updates would be free.
I (still) enjoy the game though it gets repetitive pretty quick, but more and more stuff like the simple or faked implementation of planets (seamless, LOL ) and other stuff gets obvious. And mostly, I really get annoyed having thrown 60$ at this particular guy…
That’s not exactly his first night at the rodeo, it was just the one that knocked him off.
Molyneux has a well-documented history of over-promising and underdelivering, most of which generally got swept under the rug because the games that he ended up spearheading ended up being tremendously popular. Doesn’t stop the fact that he should in no way be allowed anywhere near the media without a prepared script and someone standing behind him with a gag.
3+ years development of presumably variable team size at industry standard wage, flood repair bills, marketing, physical distribution fees, miscellaneous development costs (licensing fees and purchase of dev kits for consoles and presumably VR), profit-sharing (Steam/Sony/etc taking their cut), marketing, post-release development fees. All those add up even without adding on however much Sony are expecting to take for their ‘assistance’. I’m not trying to defend the price point too much, because I do think it’s too high, but I don’t necessarily think it’s unreasonable for them to be asking at that price.
Ideally, they’d want HG to do it with their share of the revenue, but as the game was being pushed as a key exclusive it’d be a bit strange for them to drop it and lose interest the moment it’s released. I mean, that might change in the face of how the game was received post release, but I would assume Sony intended to support it post-release.
I guess, to a degree, my expectations of the game were different to those that are unhappy with it.
I always saw this as a game similar in vein to Spore’s galactic phase, focused on exploration and discovery, with stuff to do along the way. Sure, some of survival micro-management gets tedious, but it also helps provide a reason to explore and move around. I’m enjoying uncovering parts of the plot like the history of the sapient species at my own pace by visiting ruins and monoliths, and I like the way that you learn more of their languages by doing so. I also never expected nor really wanted any multiplayer from this game beyond the kind of multiplayer available in Spore (imprints rather than interaction). If they sort out the performance and some of the general graphics/engine issues, I can see this being a game I return to to relax and unwind. I still think the game was more expensive than it should have been, but not unreasonably so (which obviously is subjective and largely based on my personal spending ability), but I definitely don’t agree that it’s a “bad game at any price”.
No doubt they will support it but for how long and under what parameters? Will they introduce pay to win? Support it for a year? Two max? Too many unknowns for a $60 game that really belongs to a Toys R Us franchise.
Depends how much demand. Bungie has a 10-year plan for Destiny, and as long as PS4 players are playing it, Sony will keep getting the exclusives in. I doubt NMS will get that lucky though.
After investing many hours into No Man’s Sky I have to confess: the game is really fun to play! I never expected it to be the “next big thing”, though. Compared to other games like I:B or Star Citizen graphics look rather poor. However, I like the different races, planet variations and crafting.
I actually have to confess to this too. Once I started moving towards the core the game came alive.
The only thing I miss in this game is a map to let me see where I’ve been on the planets.
Often it feels like I’m just drifting around looking for new (?)'s and rare’s.
Got NMS and I am a bit on the fence with it. To me it is a game that I won’t go out of my way to play it, but once I start to play it, I will do so for 5+ hours without a pause. I am on my second planet (in my starter system - left the first planet just after I got my ship to launch), which is abundant with iron and plutonium, doesn’t have any extreme condition to survive in and no animals at all (in other words, a pretty darn boring planet). I’ve spent the majority of my time snuffing out the monoliths etc to learn the korvax language. If I had to sum up my experience so far, I would call it ‘slightly boring’, which I guess I somehow seem to enjoy.
What I can say is: if you are used to play games on a ps4, this game won’t run worse on it than your average ps4 game, so if you absolutely ‘have to play it’, and own both, a pc and ps4, better get the ps4 version. At least right now. The pc version probably will turn out to be the better version, once it has been patched numerous times, and the mod kit has been released.
To end on a high note, one thing I particularly enjoyed (so far) were the vast/extensive cave systems. I once came across a situation where there was a dead-end, that then revealed a new cave system after firing a grenade at it. I also saw lakes the were connected to the outside through underwater tunnels. Although I guess, I do enjoy it partly, because I can apply some dwarven wisdom (that I picked up years ago from reading a fantasy book) on how to navigate through any (dwarven) labyrinth.
I love the grenades. They aren’t really for combat in my opinion. They’re for making tunnels and getting places. There’s nothing quite like blowing your way through a mountain. Just aim at the resource icon and blast!
Now that I have a 24 slot multitool I have a pile of grenade upgrades on it and it works really well. Bigger area and faster, further propulsion.