You sure have a lot of faith in an industry that will turn around on a dime and break their promise. From pay to win…to single player and/or multiplayer options, how many times have they pulled the rug out on supporters? Plenty - non stop in fact. And do you really think a big profit oriented company like Sony is going to fork out money to update this game for years to come? Sorry but $60 is way too much for this game, especially if it is unclear how this game will be updated and financed.
Speaking of which, here is the 2nd part:
For everybody wondering if it’s multiplayer : it’s not. When you can pause a game, it’s a solo game. That’s all.
After near 30 hours in the game : here is my opinion :
cool 
- procedural generation (not considering popping)
- addictive crafting
not cool 
- Flight (arcade)
- AI (minimalist)
- Graphics (huge downgrade)
- optimization (none)
- too much crafting (99% gameplay)
- no multiplayer (bad move Sean Murray)
- Scenario (limited)
My fear was to see quickly a lack of diversity… and this is exactly what happened. Same texts, same planets (plutonium cristals, huge gold rocks, even animals, it’s just lego with 300 different pieces and combination… it could really work with good designers, but most of the animals are ugly !! )
It is “No MineCraft” … not the No Man’s Sky I hoped… thus they actually prepare base building… no imagination… MineCraft in Space…
I am really disappointed. I see bad reviews on steam and other sites, but that is not only haters… An early access sold 60€ or 60$, it is hard even for a good game… when it is for a game like that, it’s socking…
You killed me xD I’m crying xDDDD
Please stop saying this nonsense.
There are many games where you can pause in single player, but it’s disabled when playing coop or multiplayer. There are even multiplayer games when you pause.
There is ample evidence that they lied/mislead about the multiplayer, but “you can pause so it isn’t” is non-evidence.
A big improvement would also have been to improve asteroid farming. I haven’t played that super much, but the only reason I see for farming asteroids is to get fuel and that’s it. There are bigger asteroids from which you can get other stuff but I’ve never really gotten anything good out of them (only stuff like a bit of copper or iron). I kinda looked forward to being a space-miner getting rich off of all the minerals in space but that idea got burnt out quickly 
I didn’t see much in this game which is why I didn’t buy it. Even as a miner, I find the game extremely repetitive although mining in EVE isn’t much better. I wish one day some DEVs would sit down and say: it isn’t about running all over the place to mine but making mining challenging and skillful with real mining equipment and drilling platforms. Sure, it’s always good to pick up shop and move around but too many Developers have relied off this formula to the point of complete boredom.
At least when mining in EVE, you can be doing stuff on your other monitor or chatting with your corp or in other channels.
In NMS it’s repetitive button mashing.
It’s a clicker game, that’s what it is.
It’s Cookie Clicker, but $60, and really less good of gameplay than Cookie Clicker.
It’s just one of the many reasons that the game and Murray deserve all this negativity, negative press, negative reviews.
But you know, as bad as that is, it’s deserved, and pretty reasoned. The NMS fanboys on the other hand were the ones sending death threats and DDoSing sites that gave bad reviews and crap. They even sent many death threats to Hello Games, apparently, for them delaying the game until August to begin with. Now that stuff is not deserved, it’s insane.
I never heard about the death threats but I’m not surprised given how some rabid fans act. I remember sitting in TS channel for a SC corp and listening to fanboys planning their united, coordinated attack against someone they didn’t agree with. It was pathetic - I left soon after.
As for EVE, agreed. At least there is a lot of stuff to do even when you are mining. And of course you can chat with corpmates which really helps pass the time. That said, mining could be immensely better if the right gaming mechanics are in place. Unfortunately for EVE they are stuck on their original engine which is why their expansion into stations was an abysmal failure; it is also why they resorted to other gaming engines for the fps. Still, at this point, EVE is the only game I find worth playing and continue playing today. Elite is the only other game I would consider and may eventually update my pledge once I see further updates that justifying additional costs.
On a multiplayer session, to pause the game would pause the game for every players <= this is non-sense, in terms of multiplayer gameplay.
In No Man’s Sky, when I pause the game during a battle, when I resume everything is where it was before the pause <= it’s a solo game.
No Man’s Sky could have been a good game, but people is upset with bad surprises at release. This new trend (release a non-finished game and sell it 60$) is awful.
In Starcraft multiplayer, you could pause. It would pause the game for everybody and other players could unpause, and there was a limited number of times you could pause in a game to prevent abuses. So in a way innociv is right: it is possible to implement pause in a multiplayer game. In the case of NMS though, I agree I don’t see how it could work. Plus, there are plenty of hints that multiplayer doesn’t exist ( no network traffic other than uploading discoveries, Steam says it’s a solo game etc… ).
The “idea” of how NMS multiplayer would work is that the master server would get information of players entering/leaving a system, including when logging offline or off the game.
When the master server, possibly the same server that receives naming information of stuff, sees that two people are in the same system, it would then spawn a lobby server instance for that system to relay network information between players, sync up the orbits of everything so they all have the same time of “day” everywhere, etc.
This would generally just mean 2 people in the same server together. There is absolutely no reason, assuming it actually worked this way which it seems 100% certain it doesn’t, that they wouldn’t be able to pause and pause the other persons game where they could then unpause.
(This is also the reason why it’s very clear it’s not “server issues” and lots of people playing preventing this to happen. Even with a million people playing at the same time, simply receiving what star system players are in to coordinate when to spawn an actual game server process is super simple. This is very small amounts of data, like a timestamp, playerid, and systemid every few minutes or every few HOURS from the various players, so an average of a packet every few seconds)
Lots of games do similar things to this, so I don’t understand why people keep insisting that being able to pause means no multiplayer. There probably isn’t, but not because of that.
player coordinates, animation state of body player, sync on fires, flight coordinates, etc… it is not just 2 informations to make a game “online”, you under-estimate the amount of word for devs
Yeah… you just don’t have any idea and it clearly can’t be explained to you. But I’m not sure why you’re trying to argue when you don’t know.
So I’ll drop it there.
Pausing a game can be possible in a multiplayer game if all players are okay with the concept that everyone can stop time/pause the game for everyone.
I think implementing multiplayer into No Mans Sky would not be easy, especially because all of the wild creatures which would need to be synced, the state of the destructable environment which would also need to be synched etc… Sounds very difficult/time intensive IMO.
Player movement on rotating and moving planets would also be very hard to do. Thats the reason why all planets in Battlescape are still if I remember correctly. Elite Dangerous circumvented this problem with the horrible instancing.
It is possible to implement this pause but nobody (close) does it for obvious reason… ok you can pause but the others can unpause : what happens ? Or they can’t unpause and it becomes a really bad idea for gameplay (pause at the worst moment, pause every x seconds with 50 players in the same session…
Also, Multiplayer implies to make a body and animations and even with the low quality of animations on other species (like vy’keen, gek etc…) it is a lot of work
Saw it coming…
I love it but I still think the SC one was better XD
Just found this. A few hours before the release of No Man’s Sky.
A video detailing the meet of the two players on the first day launch !
lol, that is quite spot on when it comes to planet and animal generation. I hope they can get some work on creating more parts for animal creation 
One of my biggest grieves right now is that you literally can’t guess what kind of planet you’ll be landing on. I’ve been landing on planets I thought were just barren rocks, but when I get through the atmo there’s life everywhere and vice verca, planets that looks lush are completely barren when you actually get through the atmo. I’ve been to planets that looks like they got gigantic oceans but when you get close a bunch of land pop up everywhere
Also there’s the fun -75 (or +75) degree celsius planets with nice water and green grass, ye that’s how it works :)))
I’d love it if people could make their own ,modded servers (or just play locally modded games if that’s possible), I’d gladly play on one that got a realistically generated universe (with mostly dark background filled with background stars instead of the colourful crayonclouds that for some reason exist everywhere in NMS) as well as many many many barren planets, and those hard to find, very wealthy and rich (both in resources and fauna) planets.
(Also this extreme arcade flying that won’t even let you fly fully manually on planets is a big slap in the face
)
Other than that I’m enjoying the game.