No Man's Sky - Hello Games

I am also very slow to leave planets. I keep using those beacons and getting new map points. And if you scan while you’re in space it will often give you a new location on one of the planets. And I can’t seem to make myself leave a system while there is an undiscovered animal or an active map point.

I also love the language discovery. It is really great to be able to finally understand what most of the Korvax are saying to me. Unfortunately I am now in Vy’keen territory. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Angryjoe’s video focuses a bit on what was promised and what wasn’t delivered.

1 Like

It was a funny moment in the book (as a breather from all the orc slaying), where the heroes entered an ancient dwarven labyrinth. The dwarf in the group immediately started admiring the great craftmanship and pronounced that anyone who isn’t a dwarf would end up immediately lost in it, with no chance of escape. When asked, how they should navigate the labyrinth, the dwarf put his hand firmly on the left wall and said, with a stern face: “Stick to the walls. Always go left.”

What should I say … That shit works (of course you can easily create labyrinths that can’t be solved with this “navigation technique”, but rarely people take these rules into account).

Learning languages in games is a concept I haven’t come across until some time ago (I am pretty sure that there is also language learning in older games, iirc also WoW, but none of which I played), and it is a mechanic that I surprisingly really enjoy. I started to come across it in a game called wander, where finding stones and learning a language was basically all there was to the whole game (I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying it, although I can easily end up spending hours, just … wandering … around).

2 Likes

Thanks, I know of the ‘left hand on the wall’ trick, came up in a programming class many years ago, was hoping there was another general solution. :slight_smile:

Well, you could of course try something akin to multithreading to solve the labyrinth faster, but in a fantasy setting, it is not really advisable to split the party ^^

Using path-finding algorithms like A* is not really an option when you can’t see the whole maze, a human might even be more efficient than most algorithms when the whole puzzle is known. The ‘left wall’ solution can be used in practical situations with next to no information, which is very nice.

1 Like

I learnt that from “Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time”.

It’s a good general tip for navigation when you have next to no information

5 Likes

If in doubt, grenade your way out! :boom:

3 Likes

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

!!!

/edit, for those who don’t wanna open the link. It’s a mod allowing you to fly as you want on planets (i.e fly as close to the ground as you want to).

2 Likes

No Man’s Sky now has a low flying mod for PC

I put in about 42 hours and haven’t seen a new blueprint in ages. I’ve only visited 8 or 9 star systems as well and don’t feel any great draw to play it again.

I’ll probably wait until Hello Games release some content patches, not bug fixes.

I’m dipping in and out, because following the Atlas constructs is interesting.

Going to take a break for a bit whilst I do my deep dive into the new Deus Ex though

1 Like

A Video Discussing Whether Or Not Hello Games Lied About No Man’s Sky (The Jimquisition)

1 Like

I don’t like Angry Joe much, but I think his video was the most poignant.

I feel so bad for him. And it really goes to show how that 2 hour limit for refunds is messed up. He loved the game at first, before he went on to see how empty and unfinished it was, and how it wasn’t a $60 game.
In fact, it almost seems like all the empty promise were built around that 2 hour limit. Why there were embargos on reviews, and so on. They knew the vast, vast majority wouldn’t be happy after 15+ hours or in some cases even 6 or less.

2 Likes

I stopped frequenting Angry Joe’s site when it became apparent their biggest donor and, cough cough, site moderator was an SC fanboy.

2 Likes

Apparently NMS is Sony’s 2nd highest selling PS4 game, after Uncharted 4, in the UK. And that’s just of physical sales.

Seems to have sold over 750k copies on Steam.

2 Likes

And here we are barely reaching the minimum goal for Battlescape. I hate people…

6 Likes

After the initial showing at E3, everyone was hyped for no man’s sky. Infinity was never at E3 or a similar event, I think we did ok for internet based promotion.

4 Likes

They also are experiencing a huge drop in player connections: while the peak connections at launch was above 200k on steam, it severly droped to 90% of that figure only 2 weeks after (78% after the first week).
http://www.githyp.com/no-mans-sky-has-lost-78-of-its-playerbase-in-its-first-week-on-steam/

Figures for PS4 users are probably only known to the devs, but they’re certainly not any better.

As @lolsparta4 said, NMS had a huge support of Sony and a wide media coverage. All that marketing is not free… therefore the outrageous pricing of 60 bucks.

1 Like

Those numbers are meaningless without some kind of of reference. Like, what are the typical D3, D7, and D14 retention rates for a single player console game, and what do those CCU values mean in terms of retention rate? My only point of reference is mobile f2p games, where 10% 2 week retention is completely normal.