No Man's Sky - Hello Games

Why is this a controversy? There was never going to be multiplayer.

permanent multiplayer like in dark souls.


i am waiting too much this game i am with you guys

1 Like

Yepp. But looking at the current reviews in game-magazines or more specific their user-comments it seems there were very mixed expectations around if there’ll be any multiplayer elements or not. I think some unspecific quotes of the developers at an earlier stage (something like “but No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player.”) brought that expectation up. Though Hello Games tried to make things very very clear recently that this is a singleplayer based game, it seems quite a few people still feel annoyed now unfortunately.

Anyway yeah I am also more interested on how they filled the world procedurally. Two more days… :slight_smile:

Well, got my PS4 copy of NMS today, was supposed to arrive in the morning, but the online retailer screwed something up and it arrived around 5pm. Anyway, spent a few hours in the game without the patch and then a little time with the patch. Funny thing is the patch notes state they changed the universe seed, so I assume nobody is where they were before the patch universe wise. It’s funny how they can get away with something like that without the world crashing down on them, but it really goes to show just how casual the game is, anyway…

So the planets before the patch were ‘rich’ (only been on two or three) they had animals and plenty of plant life; and then the two planets I visited after the patch were very barren, so barren I was afraid about being able to refuel due to lack of resources.

The game so far is really ‘unique’, there is nothing like it around, seems like a type of game that can be enjoyed best if you have nowhere to be and nothing to do. It’s still very early to judge it, but it does have a flavor to it, a nice flavor. If you expect realism and a strict type of experience, you might be disappointed.

On the technical side, draw distance is somewhat low on the PS4, there is that gentle pixelated LOD popping everywhere when you are moving even gently across the terrain. There are a few placement issues with buildings in strange locations, maybe I just got unlucky as none of the videos out there have shown such problems. Had one CTD after death and freaked out at the possibility of the save being corrupted (it wasn’t). Also there is clearly a loading screen being used when using hyperspace, I just don’t see why a very simple animation would be playing for 1-2min on a hyperspace jump.

One thing that surprised me was the size of the planets and the distances between them, all the pre-game hype somehow made it clear that planets are somewhat small and that the systems are scaled down. But this is not the case, planets feel and look huge, the systems too, it’s probably due to the travel mechanics, but scale perception is really good.

It’s a very interesting game and it somehow hits at that retro sci-fi that it’s aiming for, given a little slack it’s enjoyable and I see myself spending many more hours in its universe.

6 Likes

I’ll pass since it’s a single player which makes sense with a massive universe - what’s the point being on a multiplayer when the universe is so large you never meet anyone. Of course, it really isn’t a matter of which game is better than the other but rather which game style you prefer.

There are players who have successfully met in the same location, however it seems that they cannot see each other.

I’m assuming that means either your character model is not visible (ie. a floating camera) and players are present in a very limited persistent universe, or the game only uploads “important” events to a central server and doesn’t track player location at all.

I’m going to assume it’s the latter.

1 Like

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/no-mans-sky noice adj

2 Likes

@SpaceJay negative review can arrive from 4chan

Funny as, in one of the “metacritic” reviews, someone writes:

Then complains a bit later that “it is not exactly clear how to expand the inventory”.

Inconsistency aside, tutorials are so damn important. Hell, even Space Engineers managed to make nifty ones, and it’s a game that could be called “Minecraft in Space”.

Oh well, I guess I’ll watch a streamer playing NMS to make my own mind about this game, anyway.

1 Like

The lead dev said something on Twitter about this maybe being due to server load, so it sounds like seeing other players should be possible. It’s just not working as intended, I guess.

That’s what is so confusing about the situation. I hope it does have some kind of interaction with other players because then it would be like Journey where it becomes an intriguing part of the gameplay.

It has a database of player named stuff. That’s all the developers ever said it would have.

if the game (not sure I even call it a game) wasnt $60, i’d probably try it out.

If game appear in 70 when america was load hyppies that was furor

1 Like

Well, some of the testers are having fun already :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m fairly sure the extent of the interactions you can expect to have with other players is to see them.

They’re so unclear about this, and so vague and misleading in general, that this just seems like a lie.

The two players didn’t even see the planet at the same time of day. It seems clear there is 0 networking except naming things. Each person is playing in their own instance on the client at all times and don’t ever sync together.

My pretty starting planet:

4 Likes

Got it. Playing right now. I feel bad for Hello Game’s when I see the user reviews on Steam. In a way it’s a pretty impressive achievement:

4 Likes

negative Russians reviews about optimisation. But new disc company fully translate game. our society is supersaturated by the gaming industry simply don’t appreciate anything.

1 Like