No Man's Sky - Hello Games

Hey look, a positive review!

6 Likes

I’m quite enjoying it. A few performance hitches occasionally, but it’s fun

2 Likes

I don’t think getting 1 FPS for a few seconds, all the texture popping, and at most getting like 20 FPS with lots of stuttering when you have 2 1080s in SLI is much of an achievement, though?

I haven’t seen a single PC streamer that can play it without issues. Ones using capture cards, of course.

I didn’t expect hardly anything from the game, but I’m still disappointed. There’s only like 3-4 slightly different ways that terrain seems to be rendered, then otherwise it’s just the different colors and whether it has water (and apparently no other liquid) or not. The creatures don’t look procedural, they look like random nonsense.

I hope people don’t not trust another game like this to be good because of this game, too. That’s my big fair. Hello Games really shit the bed.

I don’t see it as an impressive achievement as I’ve seen a similar quality of procedural planetary generation a lot. Theirs is not impressive looking at all. And it doesn’t really even work.
Most programmers seem to try it as an experiment, but give up seeing they can’t really make a good fun game with it. This just seems like a crappy game wrapped around crappy procedural gen and it doesn’t even run half decent.

So, to fix low fps (I had 25-30) in file ā€œTKGRAPHICSSETTINGSā€ along the way No Man’s Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS in the drain
Property name=ā€œGSyncā€ value=ā€œtrueā€ / change true to false!!!

2 Likes

You misunderstood. I meant it’s a pretty impressive achievement to have so many negative reviews on Steam. I’m pretty surprised at all the technical issues they seem to be having. Considering the time they had and Sony’s support, I was expecting the PC launch to be pretty smooth…

I won’t comment on the quality of the game itself, it’s pretty much what I was expecting, but a lot of the details are… surprising ( in the negative sense ). For example, where is the button to restart a game ? Oops there is none, you have to go on your disk and delete a folder with your save game in it, otherwise you can’t restart…? Hello, Hello Games ?

5 Likes

This launch is like the launch of X:Rebirth in a lot of ways, only on a much grander scale.

2 Likes

Just see the mistakes and ideas of other projects. Now a good time to do this, do not be surprised if the release date battlescape will suffer.

Not being a single player gamer, I passed. I figured it was only a matter of time before I got bored of it. Being an EVE player, it’s either multi-player or bust. lol. But I am surprised regarding all the negative comments - didn’t see that coming so quickly.

2 Likes

I know I’ve sometimes include elite and then shut down. As with rebith, I probably don’t understand it all, and bought infinity because the fashion has gone on these space simulators. Only space I liked the fractured space and all.
@Zen Eve exensive per month she not BTP(buy to play)

1 Like

A lot of negativity also comes from people who overhyped it a lot, expecting content worth of a AAA company. I’m very satisfied with my purchase of NMS even though I just got my first bug :frowning: The game crashes when I try to jump to a specific system (Atlas related).

/edit, nvm, works fine now again.

I’ve not had any frarme-rate or latency issues. Running on a Titan Z, I get 65fps, @ UHD.

5 Likes

Well, AAA price = AAA expectations, I think it’s that simple.

I don’t think the game is bad, it is what it is, but the pricing is mind boggling.

7 Likes

Yup, it could definitely have been a $30-40 game imo, I think the $60 price should have gotten you something extra in-game apart from the crappy pre-purchase ship that I will dump as fast I’ve gotten hold of 5million so I can get a big ship :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I lost all interest when the price was announced. It looks like the game is basically what I expected it to be (the ground game actually appears to be deeper than I had thought), but $60 was a deal breaker. Maybe I’ll pick it up when the price drops.

I feel bad for Hello Games. Having been around here for quite a few years now, I know how easy it is to project one’s hopes onto a small project, and have seen how those ideas can spiral out of control. Hello had to walk a fine line between not letting people’s hopes get way out of wacky, and not killing excitement for the game (as I’m sure that would have stepped on Sony’s toes), and made frankly, they failed. They failed because by the time they started trying to manage people’s expectations, it was way too late.

I remember sitting in a room with people watching the VGAs a couple years ago when NMS was shown, and everyone was hyped beyond measure. No one could really tell me why, though. They didn’t seem to know what they were excited about. They were simply excited about being excited.

Expectation management is hard. It’s something I’ve had to learn after leaving the planetarium an driving on to the observatory (most people think looking through a telescope will show them the kind of things you’ll see in a Brian Cox documentary, when it’s mostly just specs of light; you have to craft a narrative early, so that when they look at that patch of dots, they have some context to them). It involves getting out ahead of the hype, not trailing behind it.

The bugs suck. It sounds like the PC version wasn’t fully baked, but it also kind of sounds like Sony was more concerned about hitting deadlines than le5ting the studio launch a working PC game. The PS4 version runs OK. They got what they really wanted.

5 Likes

I have 45-50 fps at 4K with my 980Tis in SLI. I started on a stony planet without much vegetation.
Once I leave and find a green planet it might get worse…

well… i think i will stick with Starbound instead. It seems somewhat similar in a way…but like when Starbound was in beta. :-/
Flying is really simplistic from the looks of things. It is sad.
I say mix it with some minecraft elements and it will be instant hit…this way…nope …it lacks something. I think it is depth.
We have been here with Elite.
Oh well…

1 Like

I’m a few hours in now and I’m already getting bored. I did choose to follow that Atlas thingie in the beginning hoping for some sort of story, but so far there’s nothing. I’ve found a lot of upgrades for things but I dont know how to keep track of them. The refund button looms in my mind…

NMS makes Elite Dangerous sound reasonable in terms of pricing. Although I haven’t tried NMS, Elite Dangerous would be a better way to go from what I’ve seen and heard.

2 Likes

That pretty much summed up my reaction to the whole thing. I kept searching for gameplay videos, thinking that this one will be the one that shows me why the game is so great. Of course, I never found it. No Man’s Sky is just one of those $10 distraction-type games. Sadly, so was Spore.

That sure seems to be the way things went; PS4 game shipped? Check.

2 Likes

I’ve been following the game & drama for some time now, and I don’t understand why people are so emotionally invested in this game that they get so angry about it. It’s still just another game, programmed by real people who are not gods with limitations. Hello games is no different that Inovae in that regard.

I’ve played a few hours now and I’m pretty happy with it because it’s exactly what I expected. Wander around, find new things, have no goal. It’s basically Skyrim in space and when I think of it like that, I’m okay with it. Play the game, find new stuff, take it or don’t, move on. It’s just like life and I don’t understand why people built such grand expectations out of reality. I’m not saying I love it, I’m not saying it’s the best game I’ve ever played in my life, but it’s fun; it passes the time and lets me relax.

That’s what some video games are for. Others are meant to be more competitive which seems to be the popular thing for games these days. Maybe people are trying to give NMS that aggressive competitive multiplayer feeling by playing the forum-minigame and arguing about things that don’t matter. I don’t know, don’t care. I just want to fly around(which is by far the biggest disappointment for me in NMS, the restrictive flight controls but it won’t stop me from playing).

Live your life and let people live theirs.

5 Likes