Nintendo Switch

Because video games :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I didn’t say that. I didn’t think that. I have no idea where you got that impression, especially since what I was talking about was propelling a raft by using a leaf to fan a sail. There’s no ship, and nothing enclosed.

You and I have very different ideas with regards to what is “easy”, I think.

The point isn’t that it’s impossible, it’s that people think it’s the logical solution. Blowing into your own sail works for sufficiently fast air, as you say, so long as your sail is concave and sufficiently large to catch all of your “wind”. But that’s horribly inefficient, and not what is shown in the Zelda gameplay footage. This is cartoon behaviour, playing up people’s misconceptions. I assume it’s something of a joke, since they got things quite right with the the leaf in Wind Waker.

Note that that has nothing to do with you blowing on your own sail.

You’re on your ship. You are a part of the ship you system. Your not being in a separate space is exactly why you can’t push the ship directly by blowing on it (unless you have some super impressive lung capacity; you can only self-propel by blowing into your sail if you can move enough air to fill the sail, and do so at a speed that the sail actually reflects it back at a significant to fraction of its incident speed), and more than you can by direct pushing on its mast.

Right, because you’re not fanning onto the surf board. You’re transferring momentum away from your direction of travel, and the air is transferring momentum to you in the direction opposite you’re fanning.

That’s not what’s happening with Link and his raft. The sail fills, albeit momentarily, but the sail on the raft isn’t much larger than the leaf. It’s not going to catch all of the air Link is blowing at it, which means he’s most likely to just be very, very slowly pushing himself backwards.

The point being, Link should be fanning his leaf toward the back of the raft. Or he should just get a bloody oar!

5 Likes

Nice pivot here. I almost forgot you threw some buzzwords out to feel smart in regards to the stupid general population.
You mentioned ‘conservation of momentum’ and ‘center of mass’ as key factors why blowing your own sail would’t work.
Lets look at the evidence:

  1. It does actually work

So please explain why it shouldn’t work based on your smart people speak.
Protip: You can’t.

I think you got confused by thinking the force of fanning the sail would be negated by standing on the ship itself, thereby only pushing the fanning person and the sail in opposite directions and not the ship. That was also the key argument in your last reply while shittalking the fact that it does actually work.
Arguing that it still is bullshit because no lung is strong enough or no fanning by hand can achieve this is a pretty bad cop out. After all this is a freaking cartoon game and the basic principle works just fine.

The fact is that it is not a ‘misconception’ by people since the basic principle does indeed work. Where is the misconception you are talking about? Do you want to argue that the general population thinks that this would be a good and practical way to sail? Nobody thinks that, everyone knows that it is cartoon behavior.
You instead resorted to mock people by asserting that this was unscientific and normies can’t understand the basics like ‘conservation of momentum’ and ‘center of mass’, which is pretty ridiculous since blowing your own sail doesn’t violate that at all.

1 Like

Science argument with Kichae? Mind waiting while I go grab some popcorn?

8 Likes

Nintendo somewhere lost me after the Gamecube came to its end of lifecycle. The Wii was fun for a short time but didnt manage to keep me using it for too long (the only fun part were the sport games IMHO).
I am not too confident unfortunately. I found that current Apple deal strange already where they outsold Mario, and inbetween the other competitors on the console and handheld market they (Nintendo) somehow seem to have gotten lost already.

Pokemon Go pretty much showed how much their brand still is worth it, yes. And they quite have a few pro’s on their side (who else managed to keep staying at that market that long with games and hardware? Not many. Or is able to reach completely different audiences as Nintendo does?). But I still miss a longterm strategy I am confident in.

Conservation of momentum and center of mass is hardly “smart people speak”, playbenni, unless you played hooky in your middle school science classes. Both terms are clearly defined, have no alternative and brief “normal people speak” that mean the same thing, and should be known by pretty much everyone who has completed a high school level of education.

This comment just strikes me as pointless anti-intellectualism.

Also, any time blowing your sail might work(industrial fan) blowing in the opposite direction of your sail will always work way better, negating the point of the sail to begin with. The intuition some people seem to have is the sail makes the situation better, not worse, which is wrong.

5 Likes

If you want to discuss physics, take it to another thread please. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Sorry. I feel bad about mentioning that mythbusters. :’(

1 Like

I think the point playbenni was making is that Kichae was wrong about his statement that blowing your own sail doesn’t work and that he was doing it in a condescending manner towards non-academic people. If you dish out against the plebians who are not “scientists”, you have to be able to take a response in kind.
Its not anti-intellectualism its anti-smuggism. :wink:

1 Like

You know i admit that i spend way a lot of time behind PC.
This thing… although its impressive technically… its bit sad from a human perspective.
When you go outside and look around what people do these days :-/
All of em staring at smart phones, when they see something pretty they take picture with a smart phone instead of enjoying the view with their own eyes.

I love technological advancements, but i never bought a smartphone.
And i definitely wont be getting this thing. It feels wrong.
Be outside, when you are outside, folks.

…am i getting old or something :slight_smile: ?

:stuck_out_tongue:

I specifically avoid pulling out my phone on a bus/train purely because it lets my mind slow down for a while. The earth is not going to implode if you miss out.

Just been listening to the Giantbomb guys talk about it (around the 6:00 mark)

5 Likes

+1 for that Picture. It’s funny how many texts written a hundred years ago tackle the same promblems we have today. Ranging from how technology is supposidly changing social interaction to the morals of abortion.

@selbie neat picture, although I think the problem with the ‘antisocial’ is more about not talking to your friends (instead posting selfies and comments on facebook), and not about not talking to total strangers on a bus/train.

@DirkLarien nah, you’re not getting old. The only reason I’ve got a smartphone, is so I can use it as a testing bed for android development (yes I am aware of being able to emulate an android device on my pc).

It’s both of those things. People can use anything as a crutch to avoid social encounters. It doesn’t have to be technology.

What I like about the Switch is that I could have the option of a portable game console which means I don’t have to be in front of a TV. So even though it’s an antisocial thing, at least I can get fresh air and sunlight while being slothful on the holidays :stuck_out_tongue:

XKCD :wink:

9 Likes

That’s fair I guess ^^
As long as the screen is bright enough for the outdoors.

I guess you are right guys. Every era has its fads.

There is a big difference between strangers going to work and actual friends socializing - don’t know about anyone else but I never pulled out a newspaper and ignored my friends when hanging out.

1 Like

Need to have friends before that starts being a concern :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

lol. Yep. But also family that you care enough for…

2 Likes