If becoming a more active participant in the forum’s community requires you to behave disingenuously, then don’t. If you genuinely have no desire, or time, to interact with the rest of us more than you already do, that’s fine. It doesn’t make you a jerk.
But there are plenty of ways to earn Level 3 without posting for no reason. Unless that’s all you’re here for (and your activity suggests otherwise), there’s more to the forum than academic discussions about Infinity, its gameplay, and its competitors(’ gameplay).
Tell us about games you think we’d like. Get your head ripped off in a Wolf Game. Stomp on someone in Neptune’s Pride (the trash talk comes naturally). Don’t find any of those appealing? Get us involved in something you do; I guarantee there’s someone here who’ll give it a shot.
Seriously. That’s all the “trust” levels measure. Activity on the forum.
JB doesn’t need to post more… He would have got TL3 ages ago if he had hit the ‘like’ button occasionally. As it is, he’s ‘liked’ a grand total of 2 posts. That is the only reason he’s not TL3.
JB is an integral part of this Community, and no matter what virtual forum shlong level he has, he probably would be considered for this event would/did he apply and fulfill the rest of the strict requirements. And he should be considered, because, as confirmed by the team itself, the initial and now lowered trust level requirement is just a means to limit the number of applications and the overhead that brings.
This now came up several times, and mostly it’s a clash between: “It isn’t that hard to gain it if you use it this way.” and “I shouldn’t have to act any other way.”. Not clicking the like button doesn’t imply someones a douche … it only means that that person isn’t using that feature.
The answer, what I’m concerned, is:. “Eveyone chill and don’t care”. The forum is small enough that the team saw your dedication anyway. And we pointed out the dangers of an automatic trust designation more then enough for them to know in the future. JB should be considered as a regular member of this community. And he is by everyone, but the forum software. I don’t see a problem with that, unless someone really wants those added renaming piveleges that one wouldn’t even get on other forums.
I’m sure someone could programm such an neural network plugin that replaces the usual trust level progression.
Heh, I meet all the requirements except the pesky member rank. That’s what I get for lurking for 5 years. It’s a shame, because I was a lot more active on the old forums!
That said, it’s probably for the best. I’m busy this weekend and missing out because I wasn’t around would be far more annoying! Still super excited for the KS.
I have never used the like feature on discourse, that’s not how I roll on forums, maybe that comes from my EVE Online days… I guess for me it is a good thing I don’t need forum status to play the prototype
I’d say! Remembering to give enough likes to maintain Regular status is surprisingly challenging, and the game wont even be delayed if I lose access to the prototype because of insufficient forum rank.
Yeah. I don’t do that. Idea just doesn’t occur to me.
Instead I Like posts whenever I remember I have to do so to maintain access to all of the forum, unless I directly disagree with them. When I forget to do that for too long I spend a few minutes a day randomly liking posts I’ve already read until the Lounge comes back.
Forum ranks are absolutely able to make more people use the Like button, just maybe some people wont feel it makes them use it correctly.
Thanks for the supportive post, Lomsor. That was very kind of you.
I only have a 2GB 660ti, so the point was moot from the get-go.
Regardless, this is all just a tempest in a teacup because it all started with my stating a dislike for the “trust” system. It didn’t mean that I felt short-changed for not being considered trustworthy by software. It didn’t mean that I felt deprived of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of playing the Battlescape prototype. It didn’t mean that I’m emotionally scarred for being unable or unwilling to post more or to use the like feature.
It just meant that I thought the way the “trust” system was set up was silly. As @TerranAmbass observes, it’s just a forum activity level. Call it that and I wouldn’t think it was so silly.
The selection process has now ended and I have sent PMs to all the selected members. Unfortunately I had to reject many applications due to insufficient hardware ( all the people with 2 GB of vram, basically ), tough availability or not fitting other criteria. Thanks to all the participants, and if you haven’t been selected, I’m sure there will be more opportunities in the future.
Anyway, for all who aren’t able to join, there won’t be a stream, since it would conflict with the whole ‘dont share your impressions until kickstarter started’, right?
Ranking our skill as battlescape pilots, of course.
I preemptively declare myself sergeant of the master sergeants most important person of extreme sergeants to the max. anyone who tries to stop me will be demoted four arbitrary ranks, you have been warned.