Modding Battlescape

Deleting the battlescape temp folder does the same thing, but you don’t have to crash the game.
The temp folder is in:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Infinity Battlescape

1 Like

My take on it:




I prefer the atmosphere a bit more neutral colored. Still a lot of room to improve.

3 Likes

I’ve tried to get one picture on extreme res (first) and another on low res (sedond).
Not sure if I’d see the difference, to tell the truth… Maybe I did something wrong with the settings? Or is there a nicer place to better highlight the differences between the two resolutions?

[quote=“Tjafaas, post:43, topic:1388”]
I’ve tried to get one picture on extreme res (first) and another on low res (sedond).Not sure if I’d see the difference, to tell the truth… Maybe I did something wrong with the settings? Or is there a nicer place to better highlight the differences between the two resolutions?[/quote]

You need to find a place higher in altitude, which doesn’t look flat. Like this view:

Then you should see a big difference in the details in the distance, the shapes of the mountains etc…

1 Like

I have been playing with ClientConfig.xml
For some advanced settings

What i have found:

To get rid of the Motion blur - simply delete (after some time i am not sure if it really worked) :
"< MotionBlur>
< TargetFPS>somenumber< /TargetFPS>
< /MotionBlur> "

At the bottom you can find settings for:
Texture Quality
LightingQuality
ShadowQuality
GeometryQuality
AntiAliasingQuality
TerrainQuality
PlanetsQuality
MaxAnisotropy

There are values from 0 to 3 (0- lowest value, 3-higest. It is explained in same file in game install directory (program files by default), but for some reason, in this xml (located in documents) the legend is missing.

However launcher will always overwrite this part of the file. (for some reason antilaliasing stays as you write it :slight_smile: )
So if you want to use custom settings, you will need to set your file to read only.

2 Likes

If anybody tries to create custom texture packs this image is a decent reference for the height values:

Red: 0 to 25% height
Green: 25% to 50% height
Purple: 50% to 75% height
Yellow 75% to 100% height

Here are the corresponding biome rules:
<!-- red --><Rule ID="1" ParentID="0" Layer1="ID-OF-RED-LAYER" Layer2="ID-OF-RED-LAYER" AltMin="0.0" AltMax="0.25" SlopeMin="0.0" SlopeMax="1.0" SlopeMinDelta="" SlopeMaxDelta="" AltMinDelta="" AltMaxDelta="" /> <!-- green --><Rule ID="2" ParentID="0" Layer1="ID-OF-GREEN-LAYER" Layer2="ID-OF-GREEN-LAYER" AltMin="0.25" AltMax="0.5" SlopeMin="0.0" SlopeMax="1.0" SlopeMinDelta="" SlopeMaxDelta="" AltMinDelta="" AltMaxDelta="" /> <!-- purple --><Rule ID="3" ParentID="0" Layer1="ID-OF-PURPLE-LAYER" Layer2="ID-OF-PURPLE-LAYER" AltMin="0.5" AltMax="0.75" SlopeMin="0.0" SlopeMax="1.0" SlopeMinDelta="" SlopeMaxDelta="" AltMinDelta="" AltMaxDelta="" /> <!-- yellow --><Rule ID="4" ParentID="0" Layer1="ID-OF-YELLOW-LAYER" Layer2="ID-OF-YELLOW-LAYER" AltMin="0.75" AltMax="1.0" SlopeMin="0.0" SlopeMax="1.0" SlopeMinDelta="" SlopeMaxDelta="" AltMinDelta="" AltMaxDelta="" />

I havent yet played with the slope parameters.

6 Likes

Its also very handy to create a mockup of the planets textures beforehand. Here a mockup with the four textures with mars coloring (lowest = darkest , brightest = highest).

Result after applying the colors from the mockup:

Edit: More layers (with real textures), and the atmosphere finally doesn’t look out of place anymore.

11 Likes

Now it needs a little color correction (less yellow) and a much smoother surface with drastically reduced number of craters.
Also canyons like the volcanic planet has and reduced mountains.

1 Like

Endresults:




(I’m currently uploading the texturepack if somebody wants to try or improve it)

9 Likes

Nice, it has more contrasts and colors than the original version. Mind if we use it ?

9 Likes

Please do! :grinning:

2 Likes

Heres the download Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B630so8q9T5wVl9IM09tZXR2aXM

1 Like

That isn’t the sun on the bottom image, is it?

Its the ships trail (If you mean the bright spot)

Just to clarify, under the Textures folder I have Mars, yet in this zip it’s TarsMars. Do I keep the original Mars texture folder intact and add TarsMars or am I in the wrong place?

Exactly, you can leave the original folder untouched, you only need to add the TarsMars folder and replace the xml.
Also: you might have to delete the battlescape temp folder for the changes to take effect.
The temp folder is located in: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Infinity Battlescape
Starting the game afterwards might take a little while longer the first time because it needs to generate the temp files again.

Fun with moving the galaxy position around :wink:

11 Likes

was looking at the files, and haven’t found the Helion …what happened to it ?
Is it missing due to legal issues ?

I modified the vulcanic planet to look like an ice planet.
Still a lot to changes need to be done to make it look good, but it already looks quite interesting.

15 Likes

Now to add some canyons and caves, then we’re good :slightly_smiling:

Great work there!