I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

Here it is, thank god for desktop notifications, I couldn’t stand another second of no updates:

4 Likes

Whoever said that love hurts obviously owned a cat. :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

ooh, reeeely? You think you found… all of it … did you?

Muahhahahah… *strokes cat

6 Likes

Pure evil…

1 Like

This weeks screenshots come with a blog post and video explaining the process.

Link to the screen shot blog

Video

Screenshots themselves

7 Likes

You are having WAY too much fun playing with those sliders. Let me have a turn! :wink:

2 Likes

Spectacular Hutch! I really like the sunset and night shots. They look very eerie and feels like magnificent place to watch a firefight break out between ships in atmo or orbit. I can imagine watching lasers(Assuming we have them) or missiles streak across the sky from capital ships into stations and be completely satisfied without even partaking in the battle.

You mentioned you wouldn’t mind taking suggestions. I don’t think I remember seeing a picture of an eclipse yet. I would love to see a shot from the atmo of the gas giant while the star is being eclipsed by the orbiting atmospheric moons. I wonder shades of colour you would see as the light is attenuated by the atmosphere of the moons depending on which star colour you choose :smiley:

1 Like

So does this mean we’ll be seeing planets with warp drives?

3 Likes

Thanks @Hutchings :smiley:
Can’t wait to see more!

@INovaeKeith, There is an error in the first paragraph of the blog post… It should be “without further ado”, not “adieu” which means goodbye in French. Ado means superfluous activity.

they are like photos, not screenshots :smile:
How would it look with some star up close, from perspective of planet like a Mercury ?
Do stars have textures ?

1 Like

No, not yet.

I often notice dither lines across the skies. Is it possible to get rid of them? Would 64-bit colour solve it? Is it a hardware limitation?

Here’s an example: http://i.stack.imgur.com/GVGoJ.jpg

Is it possible to create stars without textures? Like a particle generator or shader that creates the visuals of a spherical star in realtime without actual bitmaps? Similar to water simulators i guess?

1 Like

You call them dither lines but dither is actually a technique used to combat the issue you are seeing.
I believe it is a result of quantisation in the compression algorithm used on the shots, so not something that you’d actually see running the engine on your screen.
The problem can be tackled by reducing the amount of compression applied to the shots.

Correct. I’m having a heck of a time with video encoding for youtube, 60 fps atm. In general, encoding of any type messes with the resultant quality. It’s not much fun to see the beauty of the engine butchered by encoding.

6 Likes

I already spent few hours of my life trying to answer this question :slight_smile:
What I found is, that this might actually be an issue of web-browsers not using the correct (embedded) color-profile. Try viewing such photos in something like photoshop.

Well… (for your shot this just didn’t work… I’ll let you know if I find the reason)

Edit:
Ok, when blurring the sky in photoshop, the lines already get less noticable as this obviously removes the 8 by 8 pixel blocks caused by the jpeg compression. To improve the result more, you could do the blurring with 16 or 32 bits per channel. After that, by going back to 8bit, photoshop will automatically dither, which makes the lines nearly disappear.

I thought PNG was loss-less?

As for encoding @INovaeGene, you can basically up the rates to whatever you want when you encode your video, heck it’s even possible to upload raw to places like YouTube.

I am trying all manner of settings I found from various tutorials, I always get stuttering. No stuttering of the vid on my HD, but youtube stuttering. It doesn’t seem as easy as others say it is…

Youtube is also making my videos darker.

2 Likes

Youtube recompresses them to whatever Bitrate and codec they see fit (there’s surely an info on that somewhere what exactly it is). You can upload all kinds of formats but it just eats it and “puts out” a pile of … smallest common denominator.

Maybe upload to another site with better quality … but the audience is different …

Still missing Stage6 :cry:

More precisely “adieu” is used for a definitive goodbye in french, like a girlfriend that let you down because she doesn’t love you even if YOU love her so much and now she is with your best friend and they have a bab… :sob: Oh … hum

:grin:

2 Likes