I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

That’s where IBL (image based lighting) will be helpful. I’ll see about getting one for you next week :wink:

3 Likes

Do I detect some chromatic abberation post-processing in those screenshots?

I believe that’s just the atmospheric scattering doing it’s thing. Beautiful shots Hutch! :slight_smile:

There is no chromatic aberration post-processing. We perform filmic tonemapping and that’s it. What you’re attributing to chromatic aberration is just atmospheric scattering.

1 Like

The shadowed part of the ring is still visible on those screenshots, while on Saturn’s pictures from probes, the shadowed part is pitch black. Is there a second light source there (then, how can it not lit the planet itself)? Or is there another phenomenon diffusing light through the ring?

The planet’s atmosphere appears to be red close to the surface. Is it because there is dust (scattering red) on the lower atmosphere?

Anyway, beautiful screenshots there!

Those parts of the ring are actually not shadowed. That big glowing thing with the lense flare is a star which is clearly visible haha. The shadowed parts of the rings are in fact shadowed however the part of the rings in the screen shots are far enough behind the planet that they’re still lit.

Oh depending on the exposure setting in the shot we do have an ambient term on the rings (if I’m not mistaken @INovaeFlavien) that we calculate to simulate sub-surface scattering.

[quote=“ThornEel, post:485, topic:582, full:true”]
The shadowed part of the ring is still visible on those screenshots, while on Saturn’s pictures from probes, the shadowed part is pitch black. Is there a second light source there (then, how can it not lit the planet itself)? Or is there another phenomenon diffusing light through the ring?[/quote]

The shadowed part of Saturn’s rings isn’t always pitch black. It really depends on the exposure of the image. Saturn’s atmosphere scatters light around the planet and into its shadow, just like Earth’s atmosphere does, so there is sunlight falling on the shadowed parts of the rings. Usually the probes aren’t trying to take pictures of the shadowed region, though, so it’s left under-exposed for the sake of not over-exposing everything else. If you were actually looking at Saturn with your naked eyes from those kinds of perspectives, you’d probably be able to see the shaded ring sections.

Keep in mind, too, that the Sun is 100 times brighter as seen from Earth as it is from Saturn, so the amount of light that’s bending around this planet’s atmosphere, assuming Earth-like light levels, will be much higher, and the shaded regions will be much brighter than seen with Saturn’s shaded rings. So, it’s not a surprise that the shaded bit there isn’t pitch black even without ambient lighting.

Dust isn’t actually required for that. Dust increases the reddening, but even on Earth pristine skies will produce enough reddening to see such an effect. The reddest lunar eclipses occur when the atmosphere is full of dust, but they’re still coppery when the atmosphere is clear.

Now that’s the sort of image that I expect to see in a rings video. Very nice. I can just imagine this scene somewhere in Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, complete with those eerie background sound effects.

To me, that’s space. Majestic. Alien. Beautiful. Harsh. Subtle.

5 Likes

that is just so pretty :stuck_out_tongue:

ok time to change inovae wallpaper for another inovae wallpaper…
… now that i think about it …am such a non-objective fanboy …

This thread is actually my weekly smartphone-wallpaper thread. I really love those!

2 Likes

Staaaaarving … need new … screen- …shoo… ts

1 Like

I get to dig myself a little deeper on the “clouds” issue today. (T-Shirt with cloud meme in the works) Here are a couple more beautiful cloudy sunsets. with a couple stars poking through here and there. As usual I’m sharing what the different star colours do to the mood of a planet. Enjoy!

Cloudy sunset, blue star

Cloudy sunset, reddish yellow star.

14 Likes

It’s interesting seeing the differences between the colours of the stars in the screenshots you’ve been sharing. It’s noticeable, but not ridiculous - I like it! :smile: I have always approved of Flavien’s motto of “artistic licence above realism, as long as it looks pretty”. (They do look pretty real to me, but tweaking for beauty is what makes this engine awesome.)

And those sunsets are deeply impressive.

4 Likes

@Hutchings It’s about time for my weekly dose! :wink:

2 Likes

I was about to post and say the same!

1 Like

Hold up guys, I’m working on it :wink:

Weekly screenshot is delayed... technical difficulties, have to deal with the cat first. #catproblems pic.twitter.com/pkd2NuMuSK

— DanHutch (@HutchingsINovae) March 29, 2015

9 Likes

Have you tried a laser pointer?

1 Like

Why use a laser pointer when you have a planet…

2 Likes

I do not wish to create a monster.

He’s now chewing on my feet instead of chasing the cursor, or the star :wink: Expect an update shortly

4 Likes

Feet are the natural enemy of cats. Second to laser pointers.

1 Like