I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

If you stopped posting about refinements to the engine and started posting about gameplay, that would stop :wink:

1 Like

Touché :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Back in 2003 I was taking a introductory fluid dynamics course. I was also digging through the ship config files for Freelancer. A few tests with different configurations led me to discover that Freelancer’s “fluid space” was literally fluid space. Ships had effective cross-sections, space had viscosity, and the ships followed the equations from class exactly. Top speeds in Freelancer were actually terminal velocities.

Ships also had effective moments of inertia that followed the physics equations properly, which dictated their turning speeds.

You’re speaking to the fanatics here.

4 Likes

It seems you & me are the only ones :frowning: . Which is sad, because they were awesome.

1 Like

Wasn’t there an Easter egg in one of the asteroids, like a room with a good old fashioned Infinity tag from the 90s MOD culutre?

Why would you think that? You’re certainly not the only ones :slight_smile:

[quote=“hrobertson, post:246, topic:582”]
Why would you think that? You’re certainly not the only ones[/quote]
Because everyone else who replied said they really liked the new small (realistic) ring asteroids.

P.S. I know that the rocks in planetary rings are not technically called “asteroids”, but I don’t know what the correct term is (and “planetary ring rocks” sounds both verbose & kinda wrong). (Also, ED seems to use the same rocks for both planetary rings & true asteroids seen in asteroid belts around stars.)

There are lots of places to place large asteroids that aren’t ring systems. Think of Ceres or Vesta - they’re 950 km and 525 km across, respectively. That dwarfs anything seen in the ICP. And even ring systems can have a few larger boulders and still fall into the “realistic” category. Younger ring systems will have larger ring particles.

I generally find my own entertainment with an interesting enough environment to fly around in. As long as there are objects to fly-as-close-as-possible-to-but-not-crash-into, I’ll be happy! Valleys, asteroids, tunnels…

Hopefully, the planetary rings look like the density will be high enough for some adventurous flying, even if it’s not like Star Wars!

Density looks about the same as in star wars.

It’s been a long time since the last time I heard of Black Prophecy. I really liked the game and all but the basically two ships (even tho they did a pretty nice job with the ship pieces) and sever lag killed the game.

Too bad, it was an awesome idea. The twitch, unrealistic combat was more satisfying than Star Conflict, which is the only game right now that offers arcade-y space combat (correct me if I’m wrong)

I’m pretty sure it was a monolith, in a big chamber.

2 Likes

Another week, another screenshot.
This time I went with something a little more dramatic. Red giant in close to a small rocky world with a thick atmosphere. Love that sunset with the cloud layer, subtle and beautiful. Enjoy!

RedGiantSets

13 Likes

* picks up jaw *

Absolutely gorgeous.

The light… the orangeness… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I wish angular diameters translated well to 2d images. It’s so hard to tell how big that actually looks, compared to the Sun in our sky.

It’s a wonderfully hellish looking world, though.

look at that sun! seems so real…

that’s very impressive how did you manage to get these kind of coloration from the atmosphere ?

1 Like

Red giants give off a lot of red, orange, and yellow light, and the thick atmosphere of the planet will enhance the “orange sunset” effect dramatically. Those two things combined will give you Planet Tangerine up there.

MMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SEQUENYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ABAIIITSIBABAAAAAAAAAA

…sorry, I couldn’t resist.

5 Likes