Think this is the right place to relay this on behalf of Kimmo … moving pictures! multiple screenshotis … ![]()
https://twitter.com/inovae_kimmo/status/560485038551486464
Think this is the right place to relay this on behalf of Kimmo … moving pictures! multiple screenshotis … ![]()
https://twitter.com/inovae_kimmo/status/560485038551486464
Forget the motion blur
I’m drooling over the auto exposure.
I hadn’t even noticed… wow. Looks great!
if i were i-novae i wouldnt even waste time implementing motion blur. It’s completely useless, motion blur cannot be accurately calculated without introducing input lag (which is even worse) so solutions are worthless in my eyes. Would rather just more fps.
That auto exposure though, hot damn.
I agree - the viewers brain is already pretty good at it and you get that for free. If motion blur is deemed desirable it should be very very subtle.
I don’t think it causes input lag any more than any other processing that needs to be done per-frame. - It just takes into account the previous frames - no need to know the future view direction etc.
I find the speed of the ‘auto expsoure’ adjustment rather jarring. I assume the rate of change is dependent on the difference in absolute intensity between frames? I guess it should be based on actual time and so independent of frame rate, and personally I think it’d look better if it wasn’t quite so fast!
Excited to see more of this kind of stuff!!
I like both, the motion blur and the exposure change rate.
And i normally have motion blur disabled in most games. Mostly because it’s too much.
Also, the above example really benefits from it.
+1 for Motionblur
The motionblur makes it look very cinematic, reminds me of star wars…
The visual quality of the engine get more and more amazing everytime!
I watched it autorepeat on gfycat and started to get nauseous after about 5 repeats. I hope that’s just a frame rate issue.
It took me a while to understand the “autoexposure” reference. I assume that’s just HDR lighting doing its thing. I’d have to see how that works in game, with lots of stuff going on. If the lighting level is constantly adjusting in huge swings as I alternate between seeing inky black space versus bright stations, ships and planets, I may just have to look for HDR controls to tone it down or go manual (do I care about seeing inky blackness in the middle of a gyrating battle?)
The jury is also out on the motion blur. The very last bit of the trailing ship flashing past was pretty neat - better than catching one or two frames of a ship that is perfectly visible. However, I find the partial-frame blur is a bit screwy. If the ship moves from X to Y to Z, I expect to see blur from X to Z, not from X to a quarter of the way to Y, then Y to a quarter of the way to Z.
Time is reversed and the ships move in reverse, 2 more seconds and we would have seen a carrier or a station! 
I’m guessing that this is an early clip from the KS vid, it’s either showing off the civilian aspect or they just don’t have the effects to insert some laser or missile action. If it is a combat scene I would add some more twists and turns for the ships, it’s a city taxi like scene atm.
And what should happen with the motion blur when you reverse time? 
Motion blur isn’t useless. Camera based games (opposed to games played from the eyes of a character) need motion blur to make hard/fast camera pans less straining for the eyes by not having every bit of movement continually in focus. If done correctly, it also gives a sense of how fast objects are moving relative to you.
When you really care about your “battle” performance, motion blur and HDR/Bloom is the first thing you switch off.
Don’t get me started on “cinematic”. Anywho it looks fine, great even, when watching a video after the fact. Actually playing it is a different story.
What kind of “camera based games” are you talking about? Just third person in general or some kind of overhead view like LoL? I don’t play many of either so you may be right.
The last third person game i played was shadow of mordor and i had to turn motion blur off because of how irritating it was. Couldn’t see the orcs for all the blur.
I converted the webm to GIF to more easily inspect the single frames. Check the gif here if you want to also look into it.
I made a slow-mo of the first few frames:
Lens flare spotted ![]()
Also found a bug …
May have introduced itself trough video converstion and stuff though. Still funny.
Orr … Stealth mechanic confirmed! No bigy though. Who’s going to look at every frame, right?
I love how all you guys say we need to spend less time on graphics and more time on gameplay and then you analyze the quality of our motion blur frame by frame lmao 
We have been starving for a very long time @INovaeKeith 
Really nice to see you releasing stuff on a daily basis, keep it up.
A few frame by frames of some motion blur is nothing compared to the threads I’m planning once we have more info about gameplay.
Just you wait Keith. You will rue the day you mocked our motion blur analyses.
It’s all we’ve got at the moment…
[quote=“INovaeKeith, post:234, topic:582”]
I love how all you guys say we need to spend less time on graphics and more time on gameplay and then you analyze the quality of our motion blur frame by frame[/quote]
I would like you to spend less time on graphics and more time on gameplay.
In the meantime, we can only analyze what you show us. If you played the audio of an airlock cycling, we’d analyze that. As Matt observes, just wait until you start talking about gameplay in public.
That said, I don’t care for the bloom demonstrated on the ship in Lomsor’s slow motion version. I can only hope that the engine will eventually allow me to tune the visuals the way I want them. I would certainly turn off bloom. I want the visuals to scream “hard vacuum” and “point source lighting” at me. Bloom doesn’t contribute to that for me. I’ll happily assume advanced imaging systems in a spaceship game; systems that do not exhibit sensor bloom.
Bloom is currently a bit high, particularly when flares are enabled. We’ll probably tweak it once we get deeper into the polish phase.