Elite: Dangerous

Did it tho?

Yep…no matter how many times you state otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you like it is another question… :wink:

New sneak peak from Braben:

Is it just me or does this really look that bad?

Iunno, what is it you think is bad more precisely, textures?

I did see that they had some kind of LoD or mapping problems or something at 0:36, big squares popping in and out on the surface.

//though I don’t really get an icy feeling of europa in the video

Apart from the textures, I-Novae’s lighting looks so much better IMO.

In that video there is no change in the visibility of stars while the bright surface of the planet takes up more and more of the view.
I-Novae does this so well.

5 Likes

Oh ED is on sale on Steam right now with a 67% discount, might be worth a buy if you are standing on the sidelines, beware that it doesn’t look like it includes the Horizons Season though…

I wouldn’t go as far as calling it bad, though it doesn’t shine either.

But that’s simply not Europa.

(All those are true colour, so at least they got that right)


Looking closely, we see it’s way more interlaced, and with way less craters and grainy hills, than in this video.

Here are some closer details

1 Like

I suppose it depends where on Europa you look.

As cybercritic said above…it depends on where you look.

As for the amount of details, then yes, it’s not as detailed with all of the cracks as in real life. But the same can be said about anything in games. Look at the hair of game characters…are we complaining about games not simulating every single strand?

I demand realistic hair physics! I’m not playing any game that doesn’t have fully modelled, realistic, procedurally generated hair I could split. No, I don’t have a hair fetish, why are you asking?

inb4 alien race is implemented with organic ships that grow hair.

That’s just a stock moon with some orange cracks added, and visible only from a distance. It only suggests Europa because nothing else has big orange cracks on it. Some engineer spent a couple days with their planet engine to kick out orange cracks. He slapped it onto a standard moon to show his progress and management decided to call it Europa and show it off.

The engineer is probably rolling his eyes.

The only bit I’d add is that having such angular and icy features on a planet surface would be a nice addition to the variety of surface features in Infinity:Battlescape’s moons.

As for hair, if hair was a gameplay element then I’d probably be observing that the failure to simulate each strand was impacting gameplay negatively.

1 Like

We need ā€œHaircut Simulator 2016ā€.

Apparently they are still fixing a few things.

Elite beta test

think ill be steaming again next Tuesday .
that is if they have released the Beta.

1 Like

It notably freezes at one point (1:04-1:07), apparently something their having trouble with solving. The sound effects sound great though,

Thats just the transition from supercruise to glide. This will not change, the transitions were always immersion breaking in the game.
This transition will be even longer when you are not playing internally on a dev build.

1 Like

Yeah, the transitions are not optimal. They’re necessiated by the instanced nature of the game and ā€œmaskā€ a bit poorly that data is being loaded from the internet though. They could try to make them smoother, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s most likely never going to be 100% smooth.

1 Like

If only there existed an engine that would allow for such transitions:p

2 Likes

Oh, you mean like the engine used by Elite Dangerous?

The difference between Elite and Battlescape is the game concept and the server/backend/instance design. A match based PvP game spanning one solar system backed by a ā€œliveā€ server vs. peer2peer instances in an MMO with some persistence in a galaxy spanning billions of solar systems that no single or even a hundred live servers could back.

Comparing them directly is like comparing apples and oranges and I’m sure nobody here would do that, wouldn’t they? :wink:

1 Like