Elite: Dangerous

Some people are talking about buying and/or waiting for some other game instead of buying the expansion for a full game’s price. This could be an ideal moment for an Infinity KS :wink:

5 Likes

At least do some Guerilla marketing, make a joking video about a how this big company is breaking it’s promises and how I-Novae painstakingly found out that’s not the route to take. Finally an opportunity to break out of the vaporware stigma!

Frontier have not broken any promises. I-Novae have not had to take any pains to know that breaking promises would not be the route to take.

There is no substantial vaporware stigma. Anyone who actually looks for the truth about I-Novae will find it.

1 Like

Meant it more as a playful jab than a serious marketing tactic

It’s really sad that the thing many of us have been waiting for (seamless planetary landing on full scale procedurally generated planets) is getting less attention then the “oh no it cost money, how dare they”.

It’s definitely sad and I don’t think some people understand the scale of what will be achieved with the expansion. Not only do people get 400 billion star systems, they will get a 10-fold amount of planets to explore, investigate, mine, crash into etc etc.
Then with the later expansions, they will get to WALK (or float around) on all of these places!

It’s not the fact that the expansion is going to cost money, it’s the fact that the expansion, at this point in time, is 75 dollars USD. That’s 30 USD more expensive than the game itself, and the preorder is still 60 USD.

Granted, it could go down, but for a single expansion, even one of Horizons’ scope, that’s a lot of cash. If it were 20 or 30 USD, I don’t think we’d be seeing the kerfuffle that we are.

People are being asked to pay the full price of the game all over again and then some.

Also that anyone who bought in previously now has their 75$ purchase degraded to a 10$ discount on the “latest version” of the game.

I don’t want to be petty but the expansion is 40GBP with a 10GBP discount, that makes it $61 with a $15 discount at the total of $46…

And that really is not too much to ask for a basically complete new game.

1 Like

Most people paid well over $150 USD for the kickstarter to get everything…and that was for the beta phase.

Complaining about a $60-70 expansion which will include a TONNE of gameplay is rather silly IMO.

Complaining about a $60-70 expansion which will include a TONNE of gameplay is rather silly IMO.

If its anything like what we have gotten so far, that’s not much content. Even If I can easily buy the expansion I will just wait whats the point in being a beta tester and have to pay fullprice for an unfinished game.
I expected the game to have content when I paid 60$ instead I got a unfinished game with little content to begin with.

It might be fine for some people, some people like to fly around for 100’s of hours for no reason but to fly around.

1 Like

A ton of new content ? Maybe so, but remember you’re only getting airless moons in this expansion.

So if you have to pay for an expansion to get airless moons, it sounds logical to think you’ll have to pay to get other expansions later on ( like for planets with atmospheres ). If each of these expansions follows the same economic model, then you should get ready to have to pay hundreds of dollars for a full, feature complete game.

Furthermore, by paying them for this expansion, you’ll be essentially throwing your money away. usually games drop in price, but what they’ve proven with the first release of this expansion is that they will be giving 90% discounts on “past versions” of the game, to the point where its best to just not give them any money until all the expansions are out and you can buy the game for 80$ instead of probably 300-400$ buying each expansion individually or 200$ with a “season pass”.

IF (and that’s a big if) there are only airless moons in this entire expansion, then I would consider it obnoxiously expensive. However, the way they describe it implies that all of the world types updates will take place within this expansion.

From what they’ve done so far, I’d expect the surface to be great to fly or drive around, and any combat down there to be good fun. However I fear any actual missions or tasks on the surface will be not much different from what they have in space.

It’s a shame that the most interesting and fun mission existed only as a tutorial (from beta), where you had to stealthily hunt down 3 ships whilst evading another. There’s nothing in the game close to that. In fact the whole stealth mechanic is pretty much pointless, with the frankly bizarre exception of stealth docking.

I had hoped they they would improve build on the core game elements (missions, NPCs, factions and economy) before going on to the expansions. You could argue they did that with Power Play, but it’s such a strange direction to take that they pretty much lost me at that point.

The game has a lot going for it, but so much now seems jumbled together in ways that just don’t make sense. (Hint)

This first expansion kicks off with the ability to land on airless
planets and moons. It’s a great technical step forward, and more adds a
huge amount of gameplay.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/248

I believe you called it obnoxiously expensive?

Thank for the link.

I had assumed that planetary landing was going to be one paid expansion, released in maybe 3 stages: Airless rocks, lifeless planets with atmospheres and planets with life / cities. (or something).

It now looks a lot like several expansions paid separately.

Also wary about the way they talk about other features not directly related to landings that will be part of “season 2” and also need the expansion. Again the vague hope of more interesting missions hangs in the air (or lack of air, perhaps).

Hmmm… think I’ll wait a while and see how things are looking in a few months time.

I thought they spelled that out quite clearly in their press release?

There are going to be ~4 “expansions” in the Horizons Season, you are not paying for only one expansion, but a handful of them.

I’m guessing the amount of development work that is going to be done in the Horizons Season will be around the same amount as done for the base game, hence the hefty price-tag…

1 Like

But how many are related to the landing part? It sounds like crafting is part of the horizons season, but more just general gameplay.

You may get airless rocks and dead world with atmosphere in this season, but I have doubts about earth like planets.