Elite: Dangerous

Faked or not, it looks like somebody was wearing a VR headset and walking around in a space game. That’s the sort of thing that I’d love to do. For a while, anyway. Being able to run around a station during an attack and working with other players to coordinate a defense would be a blast.

How many games of your dreams have been released?

Random aside: and how many times has the promise of that game been destroyed by idiot players?

Morrowind
Mass Effect series
Skyrim

I’m going to say I have probably 2-3000 hours combined into the above games, greatly surpassing any other games I’ve played. So maybe not “dream game” worthy, but I think as close as you can get…

Still waiting on the Sci-Fi ultimate sandbox game that Chris Roberts promised in the 1990’s.

4 Likes

I think this is all shot in the current build using the debug cam…

1 Like

No mentions of their business model here? Their 70$ expansion to a 60$ game which has now been downpriced to being a 10$ discount on that 60$ expansion? the fact that if you preorder the expansion+game pack without owning the game you can literally get a better deal than people who already owned the game?

That this “pass” will never include planets with atmospheres (thats a different pass down the line according to a dev on their forums), and that the release of this “expansion” wont even have the promised features until the next expansion is being released, in effect this is an early access expansion.

That they are giving an exclusive “cobra MK IV” to people upgrading to the expansion is even worse, now we have preorder exclusive ships in this shitpile. Oh but dont worry guys, they are selling a $200 season pass so you get all their content that will never actually come out because of how badly their studio is going to crash and burn after the first few expansions eat up their budget and consumer goodwill entirely, before they move on to their new RCT style themepark simulator game.

Im sorry, this has stepped far beyond any reasonable line of being anti-consumer. Fool me once frontier, never again.

I-Novae please never do this.

2 Likes

I think you are wrong and that ED and FD will be around for a long time to come.

Anyway I got the lifetime DLCs for life since Alpha.

I don’t know how widespread it is, but I ran into it with my current favorite, ARMA 3, by Bohemia Interactive. They’ve been kicking out downloadable content (DLC) for $16 a pop. A pair of heavy lift helicopters. A selection of marksman weapons. Interestingly, they’re coming out with a whole new map which is apparently going to be free, which is awesome.

I played EverQuest, World of Warcraft, EVE Online and others, all on subscription. I never labored over the decision about whether to continue my subscription. But every time I see a paid expansion, I balk. “Do I really want to drop another $2 or $10 or $60 for this feature or that feature?” Despite the fact that I dropped many hundreds of dollars on those subscription games. The difference is that subscriptions are automatic, while I have to make a buying decision on each and every expansion.

I think this is all about perceptions, and the company that figures out a way to package product expansions will probably make out very well. How about $60 for the basic game, plus a $/year subscription to get expansions during that year? Of course, expansions would have to be coming out multiple times a year for that to work. How about expansion gift cards that people can give to friends? All expansions are the same price, and gift cards are for N expansions. How about not calling them expansions, but instead modules, or experiences or something that says “This is not an add-on, but it’s own thing in the game.”

Setting the expectation that players are buying a gameplay ecology into which multiple experiences will be dropped would probably be a good start. “You are buying entry into the Marvel Universe. We will regularly create superhero experiences for it, and each will cost $20.” Or whatever.

it also depends heavily on the genre of the game. I feel like themepark mmorpgs (wow-likes) are heading towards the f2p p2win cash shop model because it compliments the mindless gameplay well, ultimatley a game like that paying to win doesnt matter because it doesnt affect things in the long run. but in a sandbox game like even, spawning currency with real money would destroy the economy, they get close enough with their plex system.

In games that are player server based, in the case of arma, it becomes much easier to just ask players for more money for more features. It risks splitting the playerbase and annoying people but often it works, especially with something as niche as arma. But it really is annoying, you just want to have fun playing but suddenly your making real money decisions. Typically this is a smaller dollar amount and also not also tied in with a mess of an “mmo” setup as ED is, though.

Khaze in the IRC said they disliked subscriptions because it feels like throwing money away if they don’t then feel like playing enough. The alternative to that would be a pay by playtime system, which punishes players for logging in just to hang around or on the basis of time passed, in the case where travel or other mechanics might need to take some RL time.

Generally i think the standard subscription is the one im most comfortable with, i dont find myself concerned with wasting playtime or being demotivated by the subscription itself, mainly because i think it’s neccasarry to avoid p2win or pitfalls of other issues which affect the gameplay in serious ways, wheras a subscription generally you can pay, play, and forget.

So they indeed did announce planetary … well, moon landing … The rover looked nice but I will have to wait until they release the thing before I can say if it is worth it… Probably not, considering people who dont have lifetime seasonpass will have to pay a lot. But who knows how much content they actually packed into the expansion. Who knows, maybe it is enough to justify that huge price.

I am also wondering if those who got the lifetime pass will also get the e(xc)lusive cobra mk IV.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Still, with all that detail already in, I wouldn’t be surprised if it became a DLC later on.

Speaking of, what do you think of the 60$ DLC price tag? Or the 200 you’d have to drop to get the lifetime pass?

I think you should just buy Battlescape and get seamless planetary landings for a whole lot less :wink:

10 Likes

Are you saying we will be able to land and buggy around? as opposed to just flying around the atmosphere?

No plans for buggy dropping at the moment.

1 Like

They lost a customer. I was sold a game in December 2014 with a promise that I’d get the full game and updates as they came out.

As that promise is broken, so is my desire to play the game.

2 Likes

They never promised free expansions when the game was past premium beta. Unless you bought the LTE pass way before then you missed out.

2 Likes

To be honest, that message was not what was presented to me in the marketing. I will say that I did not research those claims at all. Didn’t feel like I needed to.

1 Like

What message was presented to you then?

That all future updates and improvements no matter how big would be free forever?

Or did you just assume that…which frankly would be rather weird…they can’t work for free. There are no subs and very minor sales of cosmetic items. Are they suppose to keep a 100+ dev team going forever on a one time purchase?

…

They have always said that major expansions to the game like planetary landings and first person gameplay will be paid expansions. The have also said that these things will come in phases since there is frankly so much work to get done. Are we going to complain about Battlescape not having clouds, wildlife, buggys to drive around in, procedurally generated cities to walk around in? Just like Inovae they aren’t intentionally holding things back…these things take time and money to do.

There is no “promise” that has been “broken”.

BTW…you will still be able to play the game AND get updates that affects the current aspects of the game anyway. They aren’t gonna stop that development. If they improve the missions for example then that will still bleed back into the “base game” since it’s the same game system.

If you don’t want to pay then don’t. Wait a couple of years until they have the things you want and upgrade/buy it then instead. Based on how the Seasons work you will then get everything developed up until that point anyway. Meanwhile just keep on playing the game you have…or not…it’s up to you.

3 Likes

I’m trying to throw money at my computer, but it isn’t working. Why isn’t it working?!

3 Likes

INS needs a disclaimer on their KS: “We will not accept responsibility for any damage of personal computer hardware caused by or as a result of blunt force impact by hard currency, notes, cheques, bank cards, or gold bricks with the intent of backing this project.”

:speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

Apparently they will start to show off some in-game stuff next week.

EDIT: Or maybe not…we seem to be getting conflicting messages here…

ugh, this season pricing strategy is really alienating players, myself included. angry rant here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3fupld/seriously_60usd_for_an_expansion/