Battlescape Player Videos

Also “gameplay” is not just shooting at one another, it is interacting with ingame inviroment and surpassing different challenges.

https://vimeo.com/242858995


So it’s a bit long. It’s in 2 parts. maybe i should split it in 2?
First part is exploration, second part is war.
I didn’t get everything in that I wanted, maybe by the weekend.

Music: Heaven - Colossal Trailer Music and
This Ends Now- Really Slow Motion & Giant Apes

17 Likes

You are gifted!
This could be a good trailer!

3 Likes

Smiled the whole way through.

3 Likes

Great job as usual. Not sure how you record at such high quality ( can’t see any compression artifact, almost lossless ) and framerate, but the result looks pretty amazing. No need to split the video IMO. And I like how the music is also split into 2 parts that adapt to the theme :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Vimeo version’s been updated with stuff I was hoping to get in the first time.
https://vimeo.com/242858995


New Youtube version over here:


and on Twitch:

Music: Heaven - Colossal Trailer Music and
This Ends Now- Really Slow Motion & Giant Apes

I hate that one can’t replace a video on youtube, like on vimeo.

Thanks @Playbenni for the drop out of warp shot idea!

13 Likes

For some reason, the second soundtrack made me think about the (superb) soundtrack of the (superb) film The Thin Red Line, until near the end. Great choice.

Also, great job at capturing the fights with those epic shots!

3 Likes

An AMAZING video! :star_struck: You never disappoint.

4 Likes

stopped shaving? before the avatar was shaven.

2 Likes
16 Likes

Really interesting comparison!

Elite:Dangerous
From looking at it, I thought E:D’s planets looked pretty good close-up, but on approach very much lacked any kind of “impressive” vibe. (Are they true to size, or scaled down?) In particular, I like the snowy look to the ground when near the surface, but the popping of terrain during descent etc, it begins to look like it somehow lacks resolution - like it’s sort of… soft.

Star Citizen
And I’m sorry, but Star Citizen’s are horrible. (Yes, of course WIP, but so is Battlescape). More impressive in size and better looking than E:D’s from a distance, but as you get closer it’s just not very nice. The ice planet has a very repetitive surface, and you can hardly see anything on the rocky world. The surface looks good once you get to it, but what’s the point if the whole approach looks rubbish? Not to mention that framerate! :smile:

Infinity:Battlescape
And lastly, we come to Infinity:Battlescape. I won’t be so much of a fanboy as to say “themz the bestest!”
However, from the approach down to high-altitude, I do genuinely think I:B’s planets are the most impressive, both in scale, performance and appearance. Lighting is gorgeous and terrain is interesting.
Where the planets still lack is ground-level details. E:D and SC look better at low altitude/surface (generalisation alert). I:B suffers from some areas being very flat and smooth, with nothing to break that up. Hopefully that will improve, as I heard they have on their To Do list new ways to implement vegetation (and hopefully rocks too)!
Aresthia (the rocky world) and Gallia (the new asteroid) are probably the best for avoiding this, as they have plenty of variety of terrain.

Overall, I think I:B really does have the most impressive planetary tech, but the surfaces need some love.

9 Likes

Screenshot I just took of another planet approach in Star Citizen.
The idea to fill the planet with terrain tiles is pretty shitty apparantly…

5 Likes

Tumbenail is a but suboptimal:

Other than that good video. Would have like a comparison of the colcanic moon but I guess that one doesn’t exist in the other big games.

No way to get “feecam” like camera view in Star Citizen? I know there’s a freecam in the solomode of Elite:Dangerous … I don’t know if you can still fly the ship at the same time though.

Star Citizen did have a somewhat good angle with that icy planet. When the darker texture on the mountains kicked in. Also ground clutter looks cool.

How’s the variance with the other games? The ice planet has a lot of interesting areas which look a lot different than the area showcased.

2 Likes

Nice videos there @Playbenni, keep up the good work :wink:

I wish your videos attract more viewers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is a external camera, right now the game is pretty unplayable with frames usually staying in the single digits. Even getting down to one was a chore. I definitely will do another one with more in depth comparisons and better locations, as well as showing the worst possible views and the best, and showcasing what planet-types each game currently has to offer.

Up close it is probably the best looking of the three at the moment, the ground detail is really amazing, comparable to crysis 2 in some cases even, but the LOD transitions when approaching the planet are really bad and from far away they really look horrible in some instances. Lots of work needed still, the patterns are really noticeable with hard edges between them:

1 Like

@Sab1e pretty much nailed it.
I:B planet generation tech is clearly better. Those planets aren’t quite the same type (for example, E:D ice planet is a Europa-type with a massive ice crust, while I:B ice planet seems to be an Iceball Earth with a rocky crust covered by surface ice).
INS doesn’t have the money to throw ground level details, alas, so it is not surprising it is lagging behind on that record.

And while more advanced, I:B planetary tech feels a bit more “immature”. For example, the rocky planet clearly needs much more work, with its overlaping craters and not much else, or the sawtooth crater rims. Even so, with no popping, a better sense of scale and a better “feel”, I:B planets clearly have the most potential at the moment.

3 Likes

I like the chasm/canyon structures on Star Citizen’s rocky planet. But those seem to be based on some sort of painted terrain map, not generated, so not comparable. Infinity’s rocky planet is more a really large cratered moon, it has none of the features that you find on the Earthlike or Volcanic or Ice World in terms of Mountains, Canyons or such. So you can not really compare it directly either. Afaik, Flavien wanted to improve the overlapping of craters too, but had to put that on the backburner like many non-gameplay improvements that will have to wait cause gameplay iteration is ( rightfully ) more important now.

I remember some pre-battlescape screenshots where Infinity showed one planet example where Earthlike Mountains, Craters and an Ocean were combined, and that looked really cool. I really hope that one world with an ocean will make it into the game before the release, but there were problems with performance and visual quality of oceans so i am not sure if we can expect them to return before launch.

Our goal is to bring oceans back before launch but they do require some work to resolve performance issues and some visual artifacts.

10 Likes

Would love to see these back, Sarake’s terrain makes a lot more sense with oceans and it adds extra visual variety!

In theory, could the same tech be applied to lava on Cinder?

2 Likes

Lava has significantly different physical properties but as a baseline the “ocean system” can be used to designate some volume as “liquid”.

4 Likes