And then there’s news from today’s asteroid passage: News Flash: Asteroid Flying Past Earth Today Has Mini-Moon! - Universe Today
![]()
And then there’s news from today’s asteroid passage: News Flash: Asteroid Flying Past Earth Today Has Mini-Moon! - Universe Today
![]()
From Kichae’s link:
Among near-Earth asteroids, about 16% that are about 655 feet (200 meters) or larger are either binary or triple systems.
I had no idea.
Easier mining, right?
More ring news!
![]()
Centaurs are minor planets (read: asteroids or inactive comets) that orbit the Sun between Jupiter and Uranus. You can kind of think of them as “rogue” asteroids, as they don’t exist in a belt or other recognizable structure. And now it seems like many of them may have ring systems.
Planets just went old school:
![]()
The gist:
5 planets, ranging in size between slightly larger than Mercury and slightly smaller than Venus. The system’s 11.2 billion years old, or about 2.5 times older than our own solar system. All 5 planets orbit a a K0 class dwarf star ~75% the mass of the Sun (surface temperature ~5000 K). The most distant of the 5 planets has an orbital period of about 10 days (the closest has an orbital period of about 3.6 days). Orbiting the whole system at a distance of about 66 AU (about twice the distance to Neptune), with a period of about 430 years, is a binary red dwarf pair (each star having a temperature of about 3500 K, and a mass between 0.4 and 0.45 solar masses).
And how about some pew-pews? A high speed camera has caught a laser pulse’s flight for the first time.
I wish I could just like every one of your posts in this thread automatically.
You can do what I did in the minecraft thread… 
Don’t know if this is old news or not, but youtube is dumping flash in favor of HTML5.
It seems like the future lies inside HTML brackets.
Still have nostalgic dreams about Stage6 and it’s DivX webplayer (and it’s possibility to download every video, in best quality, right there with a button) … though I think video encoding technology did go further and especially broader in the last 6 years.
The quality just shouldn’t be lost. I advise every creator to at least archive high quality version somewhere … I like tape to use tape for that …
That’s also why I’m eagerly awaiting PonoMusic Store to go live. Ohhh … it is live, YES! Well … new entry for this thread 
This is cool – lots of marketing, but cool:
My favorite part of that entire production is the first 5 minutes or so.
“The last words spoken on the moon.”
Followed by an overview of just how long it’s been since those words were spoken… My eyes did dampen.
Cool.
Though the end was totally cheesy.
It was thoroughly sprinkled with cheese. Like layered nachos…
EDIT: Gearbox new forums using discourse.
http://newforums.gearboxsoftware.com/top
Nice dark them. We need one. ![]()
More on Super-Saturn:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/01/27/exoplanets-ring-system/#.VMvNh4Kk2g1
![]()
That would be so cool. We should totally add more rings to saturn to make this a thing. 