Awesomes of the Internets

1 Like

O I do love this thread you can always find something to pass the time with in here

10 Likes

No… way…

No way.

Nooooooooo waaaaay.

HYPER PURE AWESOME SAUCE!!!

That archery video has got to be one of the most amazing videos I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Splitting the arrow was straight up insane.

1 Like

What’s funny is that Mythbuster “Busted” being able to catch an arrow mid-flight.

Mythbusters got busted. :laughing:


This guy is a poster man of this fact:

If you really want to get good at something, you actually have to practice it. Consistently. I’m sure he didn’t pick up the bow every Saturday for half an hour. As a musician, I found this inspiring.

2 Likes

All I can say is Wow! I started archery about 2 years ago and unfortunately I haven’t been shooting much in the last year due to school. Apparently I have years of practice left and a LOT left to learn. That guy was insane!

Does anyone else shoot or have experience with archery?

I was a member of this guy’s club guild (not sure why the founders went out of their way to get that particular acronym, but oh well) for about half a year before a wrist injury and general lack of time got in the way.

Problem with Mythbusters is that they try to enforce safety standards that would not have been a concern in times of war (or bored archers).

Practice in this club is 33 hours for competition archers (M W F) and 23 hours for hunters (T T). Also everyone who’s been around for 3 months gets given a key so they can practice whenever they’re in the area.

I wonder if they’re still using my old computer for video transfers…

1 Like

That’s awesome! The key part, not the wrist injury part.

The range I learned at is in my hometown so I can’t go regularly when I’m away at school. I did buy a target for my backyard and do shoot occasionally but it’s hard to find time to do it and plus there’s always distractions with roommates. I still have a gift certificate for the place but I haven’t found time to go there in the last year.

I did some recurve archery when I was about 12. Won a competition and although it was split into age ranges my score beat most of the adults too. Moved away and haven’t touched a bow since.

A few games have gone back to the 90s for their marketing campaigns, nice trend :smile:


…

…

2 Likes

So, Super-Saturns are a thing now.

7 Likes

That’s… gigantic.

The article really undersells it:

[quote]The light curve tells astronomers that the diameter of the ring system
is nearly 120 million kilometers, more than two hundred times as large
as the rings of Saturn.[/quote]

120 million km is 0.8 AU! To put that in real perspective, if Earth had rings that large, they’d stretch beyond Venus, and nearly to Mars!

2 Likes

Seriously, someone needs to fix IRL. This is the kind of ridiculous stunt that makes the whole thing break the suspension of disbelief.
What’s next, physics bugs? (Courtesy of Keith’s twitter)

2 Likes

Hah! Can we call problems with reality physics goats from now on?

1 Like

I was impressed until I read how large the “planet” really is: between 14 and 26 Jovian masses, which puts it into brown dwarf territory. This is the disk that will form a bunch of satellites, varying from Earth- or Mars-size on down.

http://www.ctio.noao.edu/noao/content/Eclipsing-Ring-System-J1407

In Mamajek et al. (2012), we propose that the eclipse sequence in 2007 appears to be due to the presense of a low-mass object (probably substellar object - likely a brown dwarf or giant planet) with a series of discrete rings orbiting it. If it is a giant planet, this may be the first instance of a “protoexosatellite disk” - i.e. a circumplanetary disk where moon formation is taking place (small bodies are likely present to dynamically sculpt the ring system). If it is a brown dwarf, then we are similarly seeing the dust signatures of the formation of a miniature planetary system. Either way, this is an interesting and, so far, unique system.