Awesomes of the Internets

I see Flavien’s been working hard on the cloud rendering :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking Join Call for Ban on Artificially Intelligent Weapons
There title.
See! The devices are going to get us!!!


Now to see if the link works. TIME has an annoying system.

3 Likes

Tesla’s autonomous battery arm is the beginning of Skynet. Thanks Elon! :angry:
He better watch out for athletic neurotic women with M4 Carbines charging into his house :wink:

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool.

2 Likes

I like the ability to use the console! If it’s cheap enough I’m grabbing it when it releases -.-

Doublepost!

http://www.thriftbooks.com/

Cheap(er) books on average when compared to amazon prices. Pretty cool if you don’t mind used books!

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m a fan of the theory that Mars had a natural satellite large enough to give it a van allen belt to protect it from solar winds. When that satellite spiraled into Mars it lost it’s atmosphere and water also Olympus Mons froze.

Aren’t the Van Allen belts created by a planets magnetic fields, not from natural satellites?

The Earth’s magnetic field may be caused, indirectly, by the Moon’s tidal interactions helping heat the mantle and core of the planet, keeping it seismically active longer than would be otherwise possible.

A large natural satellite spiralling inwards and falling onto a planet could theoretically hasten the cooling of a planet’s mantle by temporarily increasing the rate of energy loss, though as Mars is both smaller than the Earth and further from the Sun* it’s far more likely that it simply cooled off ‘naturally’, or that any large moons it did have spiralled outwards helped by Jupiter (something which would probably be far more effective at cooling the planet by not adding a huge amount of energy all at once).

*) Being further from the Sun means that, on average, each km³ of Mars has more of it’s mechanical energy tied up in potential energy rather than kinetic energy, so during planet formation each km³ will have added less heat to Mars than it did to Earth. Add in the fact it’s smaller (less km³ and larger relative surface area) and you get a relatively cold planet relatively quickly. Sunlight does not increase seismic activity - in fact it might be more likely to reduce it.

Considering how much heat the satellite would add to the planet, I’m not sure how this would work.

Yeah, me neither.

Would have to be some combination of a fast rotating planet (to maximize potential future tidal heating), a low orbiting moon (to minimize the all at once heating), and cracking the crust of the planet open like an egg (to maximize radiative cooling)… so in an infinite universe I’m sure it has happened somewhere. Just not necessarily in the observable portion.

I should probably change the “just as likely” to “far more likely”…

Youtube Gaming is officially open, looks like it’s supposed to be a Twitch killer. Not too hard to be better than Twitch and their crappy streaming quality. :wink:

https://gaming.youtube.com/

1 Like

Well, only good things can come out of it.

Twitch will either improve, or YtG will take it over.

2 Likes

Quantum spookiness reaches new heights with experimental confirmation of quantum entanglement:

Blog by a member of the HI-SEAS experiment, a simulated mission to Mars:

1 Like

http://www.roccat.org/en-US/3D/

Roccat keeps pumping out some really, really cool toys.

I hope they come out with a HOTAS.

Agreed, it’s a good idea for HOTAS, especially for the throttle

1 Like

As a 40k fan, all of my yes. It’s supposed to be coming out either 2016 or 2017.

4 Likes

A proper random number generator.

http://gamesbyemail.com/news/diceomatic

It would be interesting to see the I-Novae Engine adapted to use this system. I wonder if it would produce qualitatively-different terrain.

3 Likes

Given that it would create a completely different terrain (and celestial configuration) for each player I’d say there’d be a difference in quality, aye.

1 Like