Awesomes of the Internets

YES PLEASE THIS @selbie!!!

Can the mods please change this just to a link.

1 Like

Lol, my bad :smiley:

1 Like

@selbie, (& @INovaeKeith) you can edit it back into a link… Just indent it with a space or something.

Only links that are on their own line get one-boxed

Have an hour (or two) to burn?

Quiz yourself.

EDIT: I forgot to endorse my favorite one: How Many Five Year Olds Can You Take In A Fight?

I can take 37 before being over-run by angry preschoolers.

EDIT 2: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/lesser-known-trolley-problem-variations Funny trolley problems.

1 Like

Those trolley dilemmas are great.

Strange…I also got 37. Whaddya say we team up and take out at least 74. I bet we wouldn’t even hit diminishing returns and could push that number up too! The helicopter style would be truly effective when doubled.

1 Like

lol you chose the helicopter style too, huh? I wonder what that would look like. Somebody needs to test this… for science. :laughing:

Funny, I got 52. And here I’m average, would hold back, and have never been in a fight. Not sure how that translates to 52. Maybe I’ll hold out longer because I’ll pace myself? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Moving to the awesome thread, ebcause Mars is awesome…

I’ve always heard it was a good novel(no chance to read yet myself :frowning: ) but now we’ve got it in a movie.

Spoiler! Before you watch, it’s one of those crappy trailers that gives away the entire plot so watch at your own risk. My one comment on it is that I really like the design they’ve created for the ship. You can see it at 2:11. It’s pretty accurate in terms of what we’d need to go to mars in a reasonable amount of time, complete with radiators, nerva, artificial gravity, etc. I calculated the gravity in the rotating hab by estimating it’s dimensions and rpm(rough numbers, be aware!) and I got about .08g. It’s not a lot, but from what I’ve read is enough to fend off the nasty effects of zero-g…theoretically anyways. ~21m radius, 2.5m/s tangential velocity. I guesstimated this by going to the next scene where it shows someone in side the hab, so I used a baseline of 5.5ft for her height and went from there.

3 Likes

A quick update on the now obvious alien presence on Ceres. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for closer pictures!!

That’s just incredibly awesome. I haven’t been reading much on everyone’s theories for what this could be, but hear’s my own anyways :stuck_out_tongue:. It just seems like it’s a relatively recent impact which went penetrated deep enough that it made it to some material(silicon, probably) that was glassified(is there a technical term for this?) by the heat. Since it’s refracting light every which way as glass does, it’s probably just the camera seeing some overexposure due to the photon intensity being much greater than the background at that distance. Actually, it’s not too much further than Earth, but relative to background, its overexposing the glass.

1 Like

I have to doublepost because I just remembered a different topic. Airbus has released their new concept for a reusable rocket booster, Adeline. It’s basically similar to Vulcun(ULA’s concept) where the engine detaches and they recover it. Its difference lies that it has wings and propellers to fly it back to a landing strip and lands horizontally, rather than recovered midair via helichopter.

http://www.space.com/29620-airbus-adeline-reusable-rocket-space-tug.html

1 Like

Well, it’s aliens… right? I know that’s unlikely, it’s probably a natural formation or phenomenon that we’re capturing at a coincidental time. However… wouldn’t it be epic if it actually was aliens? Like a crash, or an abandoned outpost, or an ancient ā€œMonolithicā€ structure on the surface, statue of the creators now crumbling due to immense age…

Either way it’s fascinating, and I can’t wait for even closer pics :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One may wonder, one may fear,
one may stir the rumours they adhere,
still the unknown looms outside,
calling all to stare alike.


2 Likes

I am a regular book person myself.
This was my first listened book and let me tell you, do listen to it.
Man narrating it made amazing job without him it will feel less funny :slight_smile:

As other said around the Internet, the most unbelievable thing seems to be NASA actually getting that kind of funding.
(I’d add to that politicians actually letting NASA’s engineers their job correctly with said budget.)

The book is on my to-read list, not sure how I feel about watching the movie before…

1 Like

I laughed because it’s true :’(

1 Like

I zoomed in and played with the levels a bit and I think you may be right.

2 Likes

Haha.

Too smooth to be rigid structures, maybe they are a Zerg like race, or that might be a fuel spill of some sort. :smiley: